Computer Problem Speculation

Barashin

Hey folks,

I have a frankenstein computer I built that has been running pretty well for 6 months, but now won't power on. Here's the story.

I installed a new Sandisk 64gb SSD about 3 weeks ago. After about a week, the computer randomly completely powered off while in use (web browsing). Now the computer isn't booting anymore. When I power the computer on, the side, top, and front chassis fans and all HDDS and SSDs and the GPU powers on. However, the rear chassis fan (which is the only one plugged into the mobo), the cpu fan (which is plugged into the mobo), and I'm guessing the cpu is receiving no power.

Any ideas on which component is shot and how I can test things?

Barashin

I would start with the Power Supply. Sounds like it may not have the juice to power everything. Maybe unplug all of the fans except the CPU fan and unplug all the drives except the OS drive and see if it can boot up then. If it does, then I think PSU (Power Supply).

It could also be a motherboard issue but start with the PSU.

I would start with the Power Supply. Sounds like it may not have the juice to power everything. Maybe unplug all of the fans except the CPU fan and unplug all the drives except the OS drive and see if it can boot up then. If it does, then I think PSU (Power Supply).

It could also be a motherboard issue but start with the PSU.

GC Alumni
(edited)

4-core i5 (TDP 95W), mid-range video card, 3 HDD, 1 optical; 600W OCZ PSU failed about 6 months ago. FWIW, I would recommend spending the extra $20 to get a better* PSU.

*moar watts

Edited by mookie

it's the 3 HDDs killing your PSUs. I have 3 HDDs (RAID-5), 1 other HDD, and a SSD. All of that powered by a corsair AX1200. Even when I installed my raid-5 drives, my PC wouldn't turn on. I had to use separate 12V rails in order to get it to work. Pain in the donkey. So ya, 600w is sorta pushing it.

Just make sure you get one with cable management its so much better, Also make sure you get one powerful enough for what you need

If you clicked his link or read our replies, you'd see that's what he did.