New Computer

MPG1770

GC Server Admin

Received cheque from the insurance company (expletive deleted) today. Having charged me £135 ($200) for excess and to send back my hard drives, and dictated where I had to buy the new computer, I was limited as to the range the shop had to offer.

Intel® Core i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz 8GB RAM 64x64 Nvidia GeForce GT 630 Win 8

Going to take a few hours I guess to get used to the setup and a lot longer to re-install all software.

Congrats with Upgrade. You might wanna get a better VGA and add 8 Gb to RAM, maybe few month from now. :)

He already has 8GB ram? lol, def no need for 16gb if all you do is gaming. Agree with upgrading the GFX after a little while. It will handle L4D2 and CSGO though.

I have Win 8 as well, it's actually faster and uses less processes than Win 7 :)

GC Server Admin

Thanks guys - leaving the video card alone as it's a new machine and got a year guarantee, not going to mess around with components as this will invalidate that.

Found a program already zero, but your recommendation is so much better - cheers.

Found a program already zero, but your recommendation is so much better - cheers.

Was it Pokki? If so, remove it. Horrible program. Uses more resources than it should and it is buggy and just a bad program. It was my first pick and had nothing but problems.

GC Server Admin

Having trouble setting up mulitple displays - both monitors work perfectly fine, but computer does not seem to recognise that 2 are connected and only shows 1 monitor attached in both Nvidia and Win8 settings - what am I doing wrong? I have tried all combinations of attaching leads in various ports.

btw Zero, it was 'start menu x'

GC Server Admin
(edited)

No Disks were provided - however, did check system drivers and what do yu know, the 2 HDMI ports have not been recognised - tried installing them manually, just won't have it - telephone tech guy, he said to try and download drivers manually, which I did, but it was chaos, the Nvidia graphics card was over-written and deleted, would not let me re-install it, had to re-boot the system from scratch.

Re-installing everything now - just checked on Drivers (Device Manager) and what do you know - the HDMI and DVI ports are listed as unkown - tried updating, but machine is not having any of that.

Spoke to guy in shop again, having the machine replaced - that's going to have to wait for a week - going for a well deserved break this Thrusday - off to a Budhist retreat for the weekend.

Edited by MPG1770

Silly WC, computers don't come with discs anymore.... you gotta make your own or get drivers from their respective website.

On that note I would go in to the Windows 8 settings page and create some recovery media when you get the new unit back, just because you never know... A 16GB flash drive should do just fine.

Silly WC, computers don't come with discs anymore.... you gotta make your own or get drivers from their respective website.

On that note I would go in to the Windows 8 settings page and create some recovery media when you get the new unit back, just because you never know... A 16GB flash drive should do just fine.

Since when PC's come without driver discs? :supasmsm0:

GC Server Admin

Just waiting for email response from HP to ascertain if they can help with resolving this matter, if not, it's going back to the shop - I will need this up-coming break - but the good thing about the experience, I found that Windows 8, although convoluted in it's initial setup seemed to be haphazrd, is in fact far superior than Window 7, but not as good as XP lol

Windows 8 isn't bad. The 8.1 update will resolve most complaints about Windows 8 anyways. The OS is very quick and has a lot of new features that are pretty cool. You shouldn't have too many issues as long as you are running relatively up to date programs... so no you can't use your Doom floppy.. You will be zipping around the OS like a boss in Windows 8 once you get used to the navigation plus when the 8.1 update is released it will fell like you are back visiting your old friend Windows 7.

Learn to use short cut keys like the (windows logo)/Start key + D = Desktop, Start + Q = Search, Start + C = Charms bar.

Edit- Fixed a missing word.

Edited by Madvillain

GC Server Admin

I want my old friend XP - have worked out how to configure the G510 keyboard I won from you guys to work properly - 1st time ever I've been able to use \ without having to copy and paste it.