What happened?

Flitterkill

I do enjoy Competitive Match Making on CS:GO, but it's a lot different than what drew me to GC. It seemed like a lot more people participated in CSS and it was less intimidating to play for someone consistently scoring near the bottom. There's also a plethora of established custom maps that I really enjoyed every Saturday night. It's harder for me to introduce friends to CS for the first time because of CMM and the lack of activity on the public server. They can't experience the same thing that hooked me on GC. That being said, the only reason I play CS at all is because of this community. I enjoy CMM a lot because it's a lot of fun to work as a small unified team with people you've been playing with for a while. I have really fond memories of the GC CSS public server, particularly custom map night, because that is how I familiarized myself with the game and the people who played it at GC.

The bottom line for me is that I don't care what installment of Counter-Strike we're playing. If there are people who are fun to play with and work together with, I'll be there. However, I find that the popularity of CMM and the lack of activity on the public server make CS less appealing to people being introduced to the game and the GC community for the first time.

I say we need to put all custom maps in rotation, add few vote plugins and let people choose what map they want to play. No need to make the server entirely custom, mix up all good maps. I explain why: most of the regular maps people can play now via CMM. But there is a big demand for those maps which are not available in CMM. To a aid server killer map we need to have a RTV plugin.

Otherwise we can spend at least 1 hour playing on the server to relive it, and once there are some people whoever wants to play CMM can leave. But it's almost impossible.

Remember, we get most of the people during Custom maps.

If we can add all popular maps from steam workshop, then we have 10-20 on the server almost everyday.

Myself, sometimes I get really tired fom playing the same map over and over again. Something new and refreshing would be awesome.

Your call guys, I see no other options.

I try and start the pub but people are too obsessed with the match making... I do think it's a faze of sorts since a lot of our members are pretty new to playing matches. I always enjoy pubbing on our server because of how we run it and the people on it.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend throwing customs in the the reg rotation (would make me play less, again, personally) but we could always implement a wider rotation selection.

Saturday customs brings everyone in due to the fact that it's played once a week. If we have customs everyday then Saturday customs will quickly fade off as well..

What I would like to see is 5v5 within GC community matches. I think the 5v5 does lend to some fun gameplay but the most annoying thing about it is getting stuck playing people from Brazil with a 225 ping. Plus the matchmaking seems sometimes very skewed with its ranking system. Obivously GC has a pretty diverse base of players based on skill level but everyone knows everyone elses skill fairly accurately. Obivously there would have to be some fairness in balancing teams (an all xt team wouldn't find too much competition for example) but I still enjoy playing with people in the community rather than random people (50% who are jerks). Although I don't find it as important, I know there are many people who like stats, and the competitive match making provides that to them. I myself wouldn't mind playing in the server, but I still see myself playing 5v5 too.

It is a major issue though because think of how many of us first exposure to gc came through the pub. I know mine did and I imagine many others were as well. It is a source of lifeblood for the community to get new players. 5v5 doesn't provide that. L4D2 server is successfully growing the community currently (at least until L4D3 comes out...who knows what changes that will have in store for that game).

Edited by Jibbajabba
  • Like 1

What I would like to see is 5v5 within GC community matches. I think the 5v5 does lend to some fun gameplay but the most annoying thing about it is getting stuck playing people from Brazil with a 225 ping. Plus the matchmaking seems sometimes very skewed with its ranking system. Obivously GC has a pretty diverse base of players based on skill level but everyone knows everyone elses skill fairly accurately. Obivously there would have to be some fairness in balancing teams (an all xt team wouldn't find too much competition for example) but I still enjoy playing with people in the community rather than random people (50% who are jerks). Although I don't find it as important, I know there are many people who like stats, and the competitive match making provides that to them. I myself wouldn't mind playing in the server, but I still see myself playing 5v5 too.

It is a major issue though because think of how many of us first exposure to gc came through the pub. I know mine did and I imagine many others were as well. It is a source of lifeblood for the community to get new players. 5v5 doesn't provide that. L4D2 server is successfully growing the community currently (at least until L4D3 comes out...who knows what changes that will have in store for that game).

I wholeheartedly concur with this post.

(edited)

I hooked my comp back and up and was ready to own you guys in some CSS. I logged on for the last three night nights and the server was completely dead at what used to be prime time hours.. I was about to start a thread asking whats going on and I found my answer here. This saddens me. Other than matches back in the day, GC's server is the only server I play on. The 5v5 is cool, but there goes the community aspect. Well counter strike... you had a good run..

Edited by NOFX