Is my router kaput?

D-LINK DIR 655

Saturday evening I'm getting ready for SNC's and I start losing internet connection every 3 or 4 minutes for about 30 seconds at a time./ It kinda eases up and I get to run some maps from about 10-11ish .

I reset my modem Sunday and it seems to be working fine ( still running from router though) then I get in game and my ping soars to 700+ woah-ville

Next step I just forgo the router and hook up to my modem alone and boom everything is fine, but with my router I got 70 ping average on the GC server ( I live in the sticks & router lets me prioritize games) Now with my modem I get an average of 100 (sucks)

Anyways I try to reconfig my router go to cmd prompt: ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew / did not help then ran: ipconfig/all dhcp was set to "no" so I enter my router stuff through ip address and set router to "dynamic dhcp" and redo everything still says dchp no and no internet through router

is there anything else I should do / am I doing it wrong or is the router dead?

ps. My wife is pretty mad she can't get her wifi with out the router :(

Edited by turnbullTeRRoR

It's odd that you get a higher ping without a router. Theoretically it should be lower.

What type of internet do you have? How is it authenticated?

If you reset your router it is possible you wiped the authentication and would need to re-enter it, did you need you do any authentication when you had modem only?

Inter net is DSL 7meg

I think the modem was preset from my ISP really just plug and play. I had to do a little work to get the router set up over a year ago. I've lost my manual on the router so not sure about it all. I could log into router no problem by entering ip... can't remember if I had to set anything up between the modem and the router.... but yes it does seem odd that my ping is higher but how much does the router letting me choose programs to optimize have an effect? Apparently a lot.

maybe now it does need to be bridged.. but what about the constant internet lost ( Itwas hard wired not wifi) and then after the lost connection problems pings hopping from 70 to 300 in spurts. I've had the same ISP for over a year and never had that problem. Oh the modem now no problems but need the router for the wife

How old is the router? Either way, it sounds like the router for sure. As far as getting lower pings when connected to the router.. I don't see how that's possible. I've had D-Link and netgear routers both go out on me. The dlink would start getting flaky when it got hot and eventually started dropping. The netgear just sucked.

3 or 4 years ago a friend gave me an old linksys wrt54g and I put DD-WRT on it. It's been the most stable router I've owned, by far.

Edited by NOFX

and the modem is connected to the computer via CAT 5 cable? Without the router, you basically have one less hop. Well I did think of a scenario that could potentially raise your pings. No router means you only have the windows firewall... which probably sucks pretty hard. You could be getting hit with all sorts of stuff trying to get access to your machine or you could have data being sent out, that your firewall would have normally blocked.

A few years back I had a web server running on a windows box that was in the "DMZ" which basically meant that the routers firewall did not apply to that machine. Would have been the same as if I had plugged straight into the modem. I checked the log files after a few days and I was getting spammed all day from different IP addresses trying to log into my machine.

Either way, I doubt you are getting spammed enough to give you a consistent 20+ ms higher ping, but it is possible. given my experience, I would say its very likely that you are at least getting pinged and seeing what ports you have open. Most routers have "respond to ping" turned off.

Edited by NOFX

Ok apparently I've gone back to thinking my ISP is the culprit. last Sunday The connecting kept dropping and picking up and dropping. Then when that stoped the ping skyrocketed. I disconnect router hooked up to modem direct and that all seemingly went away.

Wednesday and Last night I had ping surges and then last night the dissconnect reconnect every 2-3 minutes started back again unfortunatly during a CMM twice (sorry guys) I played 1 CMM had the problem when back online played for over an hour straight no problems then played a another CMM no problems then another CMM and BOOM the crap started agian.

When I had DSL, I would get a weak signal from the phone company to where whenever lightning struck i would disconnect from anything online. I know this isn't the same thing, but I finally got fed up, called the phone company, they did a stress test on the line or something and told me it was weak. They adjusted some things on their end, never even had to come to the house and problem solved. I never dropped again.

Phone lines definitely can have interference and weak strengths, so maybe just call up the ISP and ask them to look into it. Tell then what you've tried and how it hasn't resolved, and see if they have any ideas.

• 3 weeks later...