exhaust install

Fairweather

So I plan on purchasing some custom pipes for my vstar 650 (it currently sounds like a lawn mower with the stock pipes lol). Has anybody had any personal experience with

1) MAC custom exhausts (price wise very attractive but I hadn't heard of the company up till a week ago)

2) Self installation (Is it doable for a not very mechanically inclined person or should I bring it to a shop to have it done)

Edited by Fairweather

(edited)

I had a Suzuki marauder 800cc cruiser. One of the first things I did was put Vance & Hines pipes on. It was pretty much unbolt the existing pipes and bolt the new ones on. It took a little bit of wiggling and lining up, but I don't think it took more than 45 minutes.

EDIT* I don't know why, but loud pipes on a cruiser makes it much more fun to ride...

Edited by NOFX

No personal experience, but MAC has been around for quite awhile making exhaust for metric cruisers,I wouldn't really be afraid of trying them if they have a system you like. I'm sure that you can find someone on YouTube with them installed to get a listen before you buy.

As far as do it yourself goes, if you are even moderately mechanically inclined, you won't have any trouble, just take your time. Oh, and order new exhaust gaskets, pipes rarely come with them and it's a good idea to go with a new set to avoid leaks.

• 4 months later...

Its been some time since you did this, but If the header changed drastically i would at least find a place that can do a wideband log to double check. That said I have 0 experience with bikes. I know that exhaust headers play a lot into the power and more importantly the power band of a cars engine and would suspect the same in a bike engine.

• 2 weeks later...

MAC pipes have been ordered and are in the mail (was on back order and now shipping from the states so waiting a few more weeks). Sales guy I talked to recommended the rejet but said it wasn't super necessary. I just have to get my hands on some new exhaust gaskets from a momo store and I should be good to go. I'll let you guys know how it goes in a few weeks when I get them on

• 1 month later...
update: after 2 and a half hours of struggling with rusty nuts and bolts in -5C, losing tools, and calling in my roommate to help hold some stuff I finally got the front pipe on ... the yamaha dealer I had previously gone to gave me the wrong size of exhaust gasket for the rear pipe so I couldn't put it on tonight. Getting that front pipe on was a challenge that's for sure sheeeesh

edit - update #2: took a trip to the yamaha dealer today and got the right gasket, the rear pipe went on in under 5 minutes it was so easy and straight forward. I think it's a little too cold to get started right now so I couldn't get it running to sample the new sound :(

here's it completed

post-2834-0-57366900-1392419725_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fairweather
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds nice, BTW did your carbon monoxide detectors in your house go off after a few minutes? Looks like you had it running in the garage, tailpipe pointed towards the house, instead of outside lol.

haha no the detector didn't go off but it sure did smell funny. There wasn't enough room to turn it around and get the exhaust pointing the other way that's why it ends up stalling, I was trying to rush getting the choke back in cause I couldn't handle the fumes building up and wanted to get some video of it at normal idle with maybe a rev or two

• 1 month later...