SteelSeries Sensei Big Issue

walkingCat

About 3 month ago I've gotten a new SteelSeries Sensei mouse from my friend Farberio. After 2 month, the mouse began acting up weird. It would randomly shut down in the middle of a game. First, I thought there was a problem with  the drivers, then after I re-installed them, but the problem wasn't resolved. Second thought was that it's USB port issues, but no, those things never break on its own. And as I was afraid of, turned out it was a cord (cable) problem. I found that there are many people have the same problem. The best recommendations were just to swap a cable from any other mice with the same wire configuration. Sounds weird I know. Anyway, I had no other mice, so I took the mouse a part...
Ground wire was torn into many hair-wires. Soldering was not an option, because the ground wire wraps around the other 3 wires in the cord. A little bit of work, and I managed to attach broken wire, but ran into another problem. There is no extra room for a thick cable inside the mouse. Well I kinda solved that puzzle too, but now some buttons are too tight to press.

As a conclusion, SS Sensei is a good mouse in general, but this issue down rates it quiet a bit.

P.S. I'll buy a new mouse, maybe the same, once I have money.

Edited by walkingCat

I used a logitech wireless MX9000 mouse since back in 2006 till 2011. When the batteries finally never charged again, I switched to a R.A.T. 7. I would not recommend it to anyone as the RAT7 is uncomfortable (mouse is too flat and I have wrist issues now), sometimes the mouse buttons would stop clicking and working (one of them is permanently broken), and if your mouse pad gets even slightly dirty, the mouse freaks out and the cursor jumps around everywhere...making it hard to aim in any game or even play an RTS where placement of units is essential. Overall the RAT 7 sucks but I"m still using it cause I can't afford anything else.

I switched from my Logi MX510 to a Razer Copperhead many years ago, it had a significant improvement on my skill (laugh it up now), though it did take some getting used to (the copperhead is pretty tiny compared to most logis). I'm actually considering getting a new gaming mouse as the copperhead is almost too small (and I like to buy stuff)

I'm still using my Mx510 though, actually using it right now here at work. What a tank!

I've recently been doing lots of reading on gaming mice. I've owned 5 mice the past few years: 1) Logitech G9X, 2) Razer Naga (wired), 3) Razer Deathadder 2013 (4G sensor), 4) Razer Naga Epic (new), 5) Zowie AM (new). I use the Razer Vespula Mousepad (Speed & Control Plastic Hardmat).

I used to use a claw grip when I had the G9X. Since that time, after playing years of WoW and Rift with the Razer Naga, I use primarily a palm grip. I also have small asian hands.

Here's my thoughts on the mice. While the G9X was great for a number of years, I never found it to track particularly well. No matter how much I fiddled with the settings, I never found it to feel consistent. Likewise, both my Razer Naga's don't feel like they track particularly well at all; they both have a floaty feel to them. I feel that is fine for most games but not for FPS games at all.

The DA 2013 is a great mouse. It has great ergonomics for a palm grip that include rubber sides that are perfect to grip with a thumb and ring finger. I never felt uncomfortable using this mouse.

The stock settings for the mouse are terrible though. Without configuring the DA, it feels floaty and not responsive. Moreover, the DA 2013 has no onboard memory, so it's necessary to install Razer Synapse 2.0 on any computer you use this mouse on.

That said, Razer Synapse 2.0 actually works great with the DA. The software has a calibration tab that I really can't say enough about. It lets you pair the DA 2013 with a Razer mousepad (my Vespula Pad - Speed Side). When paired, the DA glides smoothly over the Vespula and feels snappy and responsive. Interestingly though, it's unusable over my wood desk once paired.

The Zowie AM is also a great mouse. It's built like a rock and just feels nice and solid in my hand. Unlike the DA 2013, the mouse requires no drivers to be installed and has no software. Instead, the mouse has 3 DPI settings (400 / 1150 / 2300) at three polling rates. I use 1100 DPI for all my mice so it took no effort to adjust to the Zowie. The optical sensor on the Zowie AM is phenomenal. I feel like it tracks even better than the DA but it's a close call. If there's anything off about the mouse, it is a bit on the small side, although it's about perfect for my small hands. If anyone is considering Zowie, perhaps the Zowie EC-1 EVO would be the best pick for palm grippers with large hands and the Zowie Fk would be the best pick for claw grips and people who swipe and pick up the mouse.

I also looked at the Steelseries Sensei (MLG edition) and the Roccat Kone Xtd. Both mice look nice and sport a Avago 9800 laser sensor. I was reluctant to buy one because the Avago 9800 is said to have negative / positive acceleration depending on mat and dpi setting. I didn't want the headache of figuring that stuff out and stuck with optical.

• 1 year later...

2 years later.

I still use the same mouse, and recently began experiencing the same problem again. I guess, the first fix was successful :D

Now I can afford to buy a new mouse, but also would like to stick with steel series. Currently there are 4 models by this brand, where 1 is too expensive - Sensei wireless; another is Rival ($59.99), unknown to me and looks cheap; third one is a cheap version of genuin Sensei - Sensei RAW ($59.99); and the last one is the original and the best of all series - Sensei ($89.99).

It would be easier to buy another Sensei and don't worry about adjustments, but that wireless one looks so sexy... ;)

What do you guys think about it, and more important, does anyone own any of them?

P.S. Reading my 2 years old post is painful, but gratifying because my English has been improved since.