Server Ads and Music playing

DaReaper

Greetings,

Just reporting about the ads and music playing in the background for certain players during gameplay on your server, did some research and found this... Read this to get an idea of what i'm talking about... Its a valve problem it seems, the latest update might have eliminated it, but it has something to do with custom MOTD's server side...

http://ecggaming.com/index.php?/topic/1200-console-spam/

A way to stop it temporarily while playing is, typing !motd in chat... that seems to clear it for a period of time...

Might be because of the motd plugin I was trying out. I'll remove it when I get home tonight.

already removed that, also don't think it's....

wait

*thinks*

So, basically cs:go doesn't play well with motd's. When a script opens the motd, it isn't visible because of this (it's in the background). So if somehow an ad starts playing in the background it makes sense that !motd would stop it because it would clear whatever is in the background and load our motd. So, I am 99% sure it's not our motd plugin because I originally checked the code for it and the page it triggers. So, I guess it could be some type of virus-type plugin that opens a page in the background. I am going to do a scan of our current plugins today and see if I can track it down

update: nothing suspicious.. but !motd works now

Just wanted to post an update. Shortly after I reported this, Steam came out with an update, and the last time I played there (2 days ago) I didn't have the issue anymore. So it seems it was a valve problem... If it happens again I'll be sure to mention it here :)

The problem appeared for me while playing. It seems to occur a minute or so after I typed in !motd in chat. I'm not sure if this actually triggered the music and ads playing, but it happened more than once on two different maps. Here's my ~ console while the ads / music were playing.

post-3647-0-95529600-1378503389_thumb.jpg

post-3647-0-48700100-1378503401_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...