Windows phone vs Android

Ok, so for the last year I downgraded my phone to just a plain texting phone, no data plan, wanted to save money. Well my wife and I started thinking at least one of us should prolly have a smart phone for those handy times we can look up directions somewhere on the fly, and search things online when we're out at the store or something like that. So I may be getting another smartphone sometime in the near future.

With that, I come here asking you guys who have Windows phones if you really like them? I know the app store lacks so far in comparison to Android and Apple. So should I just stick with Android?

Do the Windows phones have some sort of more functionality between your PC and phone than the android ones do?

And finally, suggestion of phones. Good ones, bad ones, which ones has everyone had issues with right away. Thanks for the help in advance!

Oh and I didn't include getting an iPhone in here because well, I personally can't stand iTunes, or Apple for most of the restricted access they do for music and stuff. If you feel like arguing why the iPhone is the best option, I might change my mind, but I loved my HTC droid Incredible when I had it, and I already have some apps purchased in the Google play store.

I use http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-LG-L86C-Optimus-Showtime-Prepaid-Smartphone/23573707

It doesn't have the same CPU power as a some of the newest phone.. but it's way faster than the original android phones. All apps work just fine and it browses the net just fine too.

$45 a month, unlimited everything and it uses verizons towers. Unless you can get a faster phone, I don't think there is a better deal out there.

This is a great place to read all about the three major OS's

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/ios7-vs-android-jelly-bean-vs-windows-phone-8-vs-bb10-1159893

In my personal opinion, if you are just looking for a smartphone to do the simple stuff with and not business. Just go with a simple android smartphone. It will give you the most bang for your buck. I have never been a fan of Apple and you probably wont need most of the things that the Windows Phone 8 comes with.

I was looking at the HTC One and it looks like a pretty sweet phone. Paying full price for it though isn't really an option and my contract isn't up til August next year. This is where i keep getting caught up on when i should switch back to a smartphone, now or later.

Oh and ZD, is the Nexus 4 on T-Mobile only? When I searched for dealers only T-Mobile stores popped up. I should have mentioned I'm with Verizon currently, and really like the service.

Edited by samurai nightling

If you are getting a smart phone, I would honestly narrow the decision down to:

Galaxy S4

Windows Lumia 920

I currently have the Lumia 920. Was interested in the development of Windows phones for a while, and I have been happy with it even though it does still lack the app assortment that Iphones and Androids have. It is a phone if you want to be a part of a "developing" process hehe.

The Galaxy S4 is really impressive. It came out after I had gotten my Windows phone and I probably would have gotten the S4 if it had been out at the time. My friend got it after using the iphone for years and said it felt like a high tech phone compared to his iphone lol. Has some very cool fuctions and all the apps.

Well, went to Verizon Saturday, they said I have to pay full price for any phone because my contract isn't up til August 2014. So I said screw that. The guy told me I could maybe call customer support and argue that because I'm upgrading my service to have data they would cut me a deal but they can't physically do it in the store. Looks like I'll prolly be waiting a while on this.