Changing Full Heal

JackieChan

We all know how discouraging it is whenever someone is black and white and they full heal at the last second before they were to die, but like usual, with every major change I deem...well, major, I like it run it by everyone first before I decide to blindly implement it without everyone's input.

My idea was to have some kind of diminishing returns on purchasing full heals. Since, let's face it, it's the most commonly purchased item, other than fireworks, I was thinking that instead of giving 100 health each full heal, the amount it would heal you for over time would go down to a certain amount. I would see this as a big nerf to full heals as medkits are overused by certain players who try to think about longevity of the team over progress.

My idea would be this. Because it's also resetting your black and white counter, the amount the full heal would reduce over time would be 10%. So, the first full heal would give you 100 health, next full heal would give you 90, then 80, etc etc until it reaches 50, and it would cap there.

Please give constrictive criticism here. I want to work with everyone to make sure that everything is as balanced as possible, but still make it fresh to people in as many ways as I can. Give me your thoughts on this if you like the idea or don't like the idea.

Also, I'm thinking of ideas on how to change gas cans/firework crates as well, so don't bring that up.

• Like 2

As a general rule, I fully support anything that makes it harder for Survivors to get all the way through a level.

More specifically to this subject, I like the idea, provided that the Survivor gets some sort of percentage notification when each "step" goes into effect. (You have been healed to 90% health/80% health/etc. up to "maximum number of medkits reached! All further heals on this map will be at 50% health"). Just to help eliminate confusion and not have to make Survivors remember what number they're on.

Edited by Baloosh
  • Like 2

provided that the Survivor gets some sort of percentage notification when each "step" goes into effect. (You have been healed to 90% health/80% health/etc. up to "maximum number of medkits reached! All further heals on this map will be at 50% health"). Just to help eliminate confusion and not have to make Survivors remember what number they're on.

Naturally.

I'd say after the first 2 heals, THEN reduce it, but at 20% per heal, cause lets face it, having enough points for that many heals is saying this guy needs a day job! lol

Also, base cap it at 20%, meaning you can't be healed for less than 20%, so if the person goes beyond 6 heals, then he will always stay at 20% per heal.

Just my suggestion, cause I think even having 50 percent health is easy to work with...cause by then they would have healed 6 times...and someone with that many points just means they are going to be tough to kill, even with only 60 percent health. Anyone would be able to make the difference up by using pills or adrenaline so they can walk fast again.

Edited by Fenix

My idea would be this. Because it's also resetting your black and white counter, the amount the full heal would reduce over time would be 10%. So, the first full heal would give you 100 health, next full heal would give you 90, then 80, etc etc until it reaches 50, and it would cap there.

First, why not by 15? 100, 85, 70, then cap at 55? The 10 would be negligible otherwise. Do people really buy full heals that often? I never really have bought more than 2 maybe 3 in a game with like 12 tanks in it. I otherwise rely on medpack heals.

I would see this as a big nerf to full heals as medkits are overused by certain players who try to think about longevity of the team over progress.

What do you mean? That's a real 'problem'?

I'm personally ok with heal as it is, but here are my ideas if it were to be changed, but I'm not 100% onboard with the diminishing returns...

what if it were something more along the lines of a medkit when used? Like instead of diminishing returns, it gives you a flat 80% hp back. And if you are BW, maybe remove the BW and give 40% hp back?

The other idea I can think of is basically making the full heal cost more, but including a smaller version...the !heal is 20 points and is 100% and the !heal2 is 10 points and 50%? Call them !largeheal and !smallheal?

Edited by mikeyson

I think it would be more interesting if the health slowly goes to 100%, so when they're BW and close to die the infected team can have a 5 or 10 seconds window to kill him fast before he fully heals or at least while the survivor is in BW, no?

Edited by Jose

Will it go down per person or combined for the whole team? Say if I buy 5 full heals will all my teammates now be !healing for 50 even if they haven't !healed yet?

I'd also be interested to see you explore the fake health you get from pills. Maybe have full heal always put you at 100, but decrease the amount of 'real' health and increase the amount of fake health till you're getting 100% fake.

My idea was to have some kind of diminishing returns on purchasing full heals. Since, let's face it, it's the most commonly purchased item, other than fireworks, I was thinking that instead of giving 100 health each full heal, the amount it would heal you for over time would go down to a certain amount. I would see this as a big nerf to full heals as medkits are overused by certain players who try to think about longevity of the team over progress.

Please give constrictive criticism here. I want to work with everyone to make sure that everything is as balanced as possible, but still make it fresh to people in as many ways as I can. Give me your thoughts on this if you like the idea or don't like the idea.

I like the idea... but I could see many ways to nerf full heals:

• As you propose, diminishing returns on the amount you get healed
  • Increasing cost every time a full heal is purchased (could be measured individually or as a team?)
  • Some time requirement to 'cast', similar to getting up using pills/adrenaline or healing with a medpack, or even like the !stuck command
  • Some penalty that puts you in a bit more danger when you buy it, ex: sm_charge could be executed on the player so they go flying in the air for a second

I like the idea of nerfing heals, but I don't think the diminishing returns makes much of a difference in deterring the use of health kits. I would still heal my teammates nevertheless, since it effectlvely costs me only 4 pts/heal and it keeps everyone green and moving forward quickly.

Personally, I think that the reset counter be disabled unless you end up being b/w [if that is possible], and then you can only be healed through kits, not !heal, just like an infected health kit. So a fair opportunity is given to the infected to kill any b/w.

Also !heal can only be used when incapped because some players use it to deny the 3 pts that infected would otherwise get.

• 4 weeks later...

What if buying a full heal only brings you up to 50hp? It instantly brings you up to green without stopping while pausing to get healed by a Medkit nets you 30 extra health.

50 hp brings you up to green, but it only takes 11 damage to reduce mobility so it gives the Infected a chance to take him down still.

I think this would be a pretty good idea, one problem though. As the heals continue to decrease, would they decrease in points as well? Because after the first two heals at 15 points each, it would be 80% health, with 15 points being spent per decreasing amount, while a medkit is somewhere around 8 points and grants a constant heal of 80% of the difference of 100 to the amount of health you have. An easy choice would be to spend 8 points to get a kit and spend a few seconds healing would it not? However, I also understand why it would still be 15 points because a medkit cannot bring you up off the ground like a heal can. I enjoy the idea of a "diminishing" full heal, I'm just curious if a few other choices would eventually come to be better than a full heal, or if that is what you are aiming for, then spot on, it will do the job. One last thing, if it is going to be a diminishing heal, should it still be called "full heal," or at least after the first one is used?

Personally, I oppose the diminishing returns option for the fullheal nerf. Here's why: although it sounds nice, the truth is that this type of nerf disproportionately affects different maps. For example, it would do nothing to the survivors on short maps, and it would make the longest maps nearly impossible to complete. Sure, it would have its intended effects on the mid-length maps, but it wouldn't properly affect shorter and longer maps.

I'd say a base nerf would be better overall, because it would make all the maps comparably more difficult, rather than leaving short maps easy and long-maps impossible.