Windows 8.1 (or 8 SP1)

ZeroDamage

My first attempt at this topic resulted in a button push that lost everything so here I try again.

I installed 8.1 on my gaming rig last night. It installed fast but did not keep any of my settings from Windows 7 at all. I had to reinstall everything but Steam and even that is a bit iffy at the moment. The so called return of the "start button" had me quite po'd at first and then figured something out by accident.

Tip 1: right clicking on the new "start button" brings up a menu of options including the device manager, search, and system restart/shutdown.

Tip2: Right-clicking on the taskbar and going to properties, and then the Navigation tab gives you the option to boot right into the Desktop.

My transition to 8.1 has been fairly smooth so far.

If you are already running Windows 8 the 8.1 update will have to be downloaded from the Windows Store and is ~ 3GB.

If you don't already have a Microsoft account (msn, live and hotmail also work) you will need to make one to access the store. You will be able to use whatever email you want if making a new Microsoft account, just like an Apple ID.

Not quite sure how you guys are having trouble with the 8.1 update (at least from 8, not 7). I ran it on my Surface and desktop and it was easy and flawless. Really like the features added to the new start button (right clicking on it).

To be honest, once I paired Win 8 with a solid state drive, I have a hard time wanting to work on Win 7 machines. The speeds are absolutely insane.

I'm still using W7, and I play chicken to install it. Don't know why.

Same here. One the friends is having no problem at all with most of the games, while the other one, he has too often game crashes and way too many running programs in the background even if he shuts them down.