Automatic suicide as Spitter?

Samson

Can we have the Spitter automatically kill itself a few seconds after it spits (3 seems like enough time for the Spitter to move over to any incaps)? Now we won't potentially lose because several people like to hold their spitters and we'll never have to constantly hear people telling others (new/regulars) to spit and die.

So basically you spit, then a 3-second timer shows up and then kaput. You dead.

Edited by Samson

I personally say no.

First off there is no rule to spit and die. Yes it is helpful BUT members should remember that ppl are new and you can buy more slots.

No one should be repeatedly yelling at ppl to spit and die. Say it once, explain why it helps the team, and leave it at that.

I personally like to on occasion hold my spitter or will wait a couple of secs after a spit to run and scratch someone either being picked up or incapped.

I don't think there's any reason to force or automatically kill an infected.

• Like 2

Ok. Just a thought. :)

I only bring it up because well.. lets face it.. there are certain players on this server who yell at new players and even at regulars like it's a mandatory thing. Yes I know, Chick, you said that it's not a rule but some people treat it like it is. If people calmly suggest it once, like you do, then that's fine but some players and admins take it too far..

"Don't make people play a certain way" lololol

Literally most of the topics right now are "change this or that" and the game itself is 100% modified so you have to play a certain way. For instance, there are rules against rushing. This is forcing someone to play a certain way.

I agree with OP, a spitter is useless to just have sitting in the corner doing nothing. This would force someone to play the correct way which would not be a bad thing and would more than likely stop shouting and rude behavior in general as the "spit and die" comments wouldn't even exist or get escalated.

On another note, maybe when someone spits you could trigger a message (in a few languages) "It takes 25 secs to recharge spit and 15 secs to respawn, please suicide by typing !buy to help your team". That way the user still has the choice to screw their team over and you wouldn't be forcing them to "play a certain way"...

• Like 3

"Don't make people play a certain way" lololol

Literally most of the topics right now are "change this or that" and the game itself is 100% modified so you have to play a certain way. For instance, there are rules against rushing. This is forcing someone to play a certain way.

It was implied that by 'a certain way' both ways of playing would be acceptable. Rushing is deemed unacceptable and thus doesn't pertain to the 'ways of playing the game' being discussed here.

For instance, there are rules against rushing. This is forcing someone to play a certain way.

Its to discourage bad behaviors. Yelling at people for not spitting and dying, is like yelling at a homeless person for not having a job, whats it really gonna accomplish?

Edited by ValenAlvern
  • Like 1

Just as I predicted you guys disregard most of my post to then defend rushing rules, which I agree with of course. My point was, you have a modded server. Something such as ghost jumping is forcing someone to play a certain way. Something such as having certain mains is forcing someone to play a certain way (protect mains). Buy menu

This is what I meant. Why is it that you can have these mods but when there is "auto die" on spitting discussed this is somehow different?

Discuss this, forget rushing even came up jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

For the record I L4D. I L4D HARD.

No one is forced to use the ghost jump. It's there for convenience because Valve's inability to put enough infected ladders around is entirely too laughable. Same as having a suicide option for Infected in the buy menu. It's there for convenience.

Certain mains is a game restriction so that can't possibly be "forcing someone to play a certain way".

This would be similar to if a Survivor dies, they would automatically respawn because it would immediately inconvenience the Survivor team because they would be down a player and that dead player is useless to the rest of the team.

Actually, I think rushing is the best possible example.

You say:

It was implied that by 'a certain way' both ways of playing would be acceptable. Rushing is deemed unacceptable and thus doesn't pertain to the 'ways of playing the game' being discussed here.

My question for you, though, is why is rushing deemed unacceptable? I agree that it's unacceptable, but I believe it's unacceptable because it undermines teamwork and ultimately hurts your chances of success.. People holding spitters is bad for the same, exact, reasons.

Edited by Leonebluen
  • Like 1

I wouldn't say 99.9% of the time.

You say:

My question for you, though, is why is rushing deemed unacceptable? I agree that it's unacceptable, but I believe it's unacceptable because it undermines teamwork and ultimately hurts your chances of success.. People holding spitters is bad for the same, exact, reasons.

Unless you rush as a team, then it's deemed strategic.

You say:

Unless you rush as a team, then it's deemed strategic.

I don't play Smash Bros. to watch "Race to the Finish" segments, why would I in L4D?

I agree with Leon. Rushing is bannable because you're not playing as a team, it's more of a "To each his own" mentality if people start rushing without looking behind. Therefore admins deem it a bannable offense. Here are the reasons listed out as to why it's bannable:

- It does not promote teamwork, instead it promotes a negative outlook on teamwork.

- Most rushers die because they are alone

- The whole team is affected negatively as the ones in back get less help, not to mention after the rushers die.

- The more people rush, the more others will follow suit and deem it "ok" to do.

- Gives infected a chance to earn lots of points if the rushers get killed.

- Causes an unbalanced game

Now holding spitters could also be looked at the same way. Most of us who play often, even some of the newer people know that if you spit, you should suicide so other players can use them. This is called teamwork, and is beneficial for the whole team in general. If someone holds a spitter at a crucial moment of the game, it can affect the entire team. Here are some reasons why holding spitters is bad:

- Other teammates cannot use spitters unless purchased

- Promotes "individualism" instead of teamwork to some of the new players

- Another teammate looking to use spitter will constantly be cycling infected until a spitter is ready, thereby reducing his overall chance to get points and immobilize survivors

- Entire team can lose a round if the main choke point of a game is surpassed by survivors because spitters are being held.

- Can cause an unbalanced game

Now after all of that, why can't holding spitters be deemed a bannable offense? Even if the ban is for 15 minutes it's better than not doing anything at all and letting the player(s) hold spitters all game long.

When I first played on this server (2012), I wasn't aware of the rules or customs of this server. How I learned was when I got kicked for doing certain things, one of them being holding a spitter. Times have changed and we are no longer allowed to kick people for that, but it worked. Once I knew that was a thing we shouldn't be doing, then I myself learned to "spit and die". How else are we going to teach new players the same customs that we follow? With all the chaos going on during matches, most people don't read the chat or listen to what people are saying unless a consequence occurs (like a kick or ban).

• Like 1

You being kicked for holding a spitter should never have happened though. Holding spitters is not a rule and will NEVER be a rule. Rushing is a rule, always has been a rule, and will always be a rule. It's discouraging to new players to kick them for not playing the way everyone else wants them to. The universal mentality of the game is that if you're by yourself, you WILL die. That's why rushing ahead of your teammates is a rule on the server. People have to kind of work around people holding spitters, and that unfortunately is to buy up the limit so you can spawn more in. You can't compensate for rushing, but you can for spitters...a little bit.

• Like 1