Recommend me a new headset

looneypumpkin

Ok, so whenever I play a lot (20hrs a week or something) I have noticed my headset has been causing extreme ear pain. It was to the point where I thought I had an infection and went to the doctor. Having taken a break and got back to playing this week, I'm noticing it again.

I have these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZS5ATM/

I'm wondering what you guys use and if you get this pain. Note that it is NOT from the sound, it's from how the muffs fit over the ears. I'm wondering if smaller ones would be better. I might just go back to no headset and just get a cheap mic (but no one could ever hear me with that.)

I don't know mich about headsets but over the ears I have found don't bother my ears especially since my ears are pierced, I find the normal ones I wear at night in bed to watch a show on the laptop push the backs of my rings into my neck. Lol

But that's my 2 cents about style

that looks super heavy.

earbuds+standalone mic is more than enough unless you reeeaaaly want the 5/7.1

i use the klipsch one (over the ear?) and 95% of the time dont even put it all the way over my ear, i put it on like slightly behind my ears so i can hear stuff in real life too and i have no problems with sound.

GC Board Member

Yeah they're not really heavy or uncomfortable. In fact they feel great while ON, but after you sort of notice this horrible ache/pain from having had them. Which is why I originally thought I had an ear ache but I've traced it back to this (as well as finding on amazon reviews other people complain of the same thing.)

I normally hate ear buds so that's another reason why I opted for them and they're cushioned.

Chick, yeah I take my earrings out before I use them. If I forget, ouch.

Yeah they're not really heavy or uncomfortable. In fact they feel great while ON, but after you sort of notice this horrible ache/pain from having had them. Which is why I originally thought I had an ear ache but I've traced it back to this (as well as finding on amazon reviews other people complain of the same thing.)

I normally hate ear buds so that's another reason why I opted for them and they're cushioned.

Chick, yeah I take my earrings out before I use them. If I forget, ouch.

so is the pain on the head, on the outside of the ear or the inside of the ear?

i glanced at the 1 star reviews and they said it was tight, i guess you need a more flexible headset then?

GC Server Admin

I use this headset.

Razer RZ04-00270100-R3U1 Carcharias Headset Black

Comfortable to wear for long amounts of time.

It has never cause any discomfort and sound is good. I forget its there .

The mic sounds ok swings out of the way and bends to my liking

amazon has them as does ebay but amazon is cheaper

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Carcharias-Over-Gaming-Headset/dp/B001PTH0VW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384557017&sr=8-1&keywords=Carcharias+Headset+Black

they have new and used

final word If I had to do over i would buy them again.

These can be had for under 60$

Edited by Mercman

I would recommend these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/a50-wireless-headset-8212-astro-edition/6237868.p?id=1218723188404&skuId=6237868&st=categoryid$pcmcat230800050019&cp=1&lp=1

I sold some to another employee and I had him open the box to try them on. I'll tell you one thing, they are very comfortable and the ear pieces are huge! My ears are big, and wearing these things I didn't even feel them on my ears.

I use the Logitech G930s...had them for a couple years now. Back then they were $200, but the price has been reduced since then to $105 on Newegg. These also fit over my ears quite well with no pain whatsoever.

Back in the day my old over the ear headset use to hurt my ears after using them for about 3 hours.

I also have the Logitech g930s, they are very comfy and I do like having a wireless headset. If you want more flexibility to buy any kind of headset, and not worry about discomfort, you could just have those things surgically removed. Not sayin' that's the option I'd go for, but there it is.

I also have the Logitech g930s, they are very comfy and I do like having a wireless headset. If you want more flexibility to buy any kind of headset, and not worry about discomfort, you could just have those things surgically removed. Not sayin' that's the option I'd go for, but there it is.

Hold on lemme grab my pocket knife. It's a little dull though, and dirty. Don't worry I'll wipe it on my jeans first to clean it.

If you're willing to drop some cash on them and you game a lot then I would advise buying Astros but they are kind of the rich kid version of turtle beaches. I currently own turtle beaches x12s and a pair of astros from a friend. The turtle beaches work quite well but the plastic is poorly made. If you want a cheap headset that will give you good situation awareness in gaming then go with some turtle beaches. Unfortunately I only have experience with astros and turtle beaches. :\

Hey Looney I use the Logitech G330. It fits around the back of your head, intead of over the top. I don't get that ear ache anymore and it still allows me to hear a little of whats going on in the room, phone rings etc. It uses a usb or standard inputs for mic and speakers and if I want a speaker/ mic combo instead of headphone/mic combo I just wrap them around my neck and adjust the mic near my mouth. It's the first set of cans/buds that don't hurt my ears after hours of gameplay.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I3OZB2/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=30009608007&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2106756411777976178&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8ls24rryw1_b

I just actually read your post now and my brother has those headphones and last time I was home I used them and in my opinion they are terrible. For what you do I would highly recommend a pair of turtle beaches. Grab the newest pair, they are only a little more expensive than what you currently have.

I use http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-HS800-Fatal1ty-Headset/dp/B002DS4HTM

They were quite a bit more expensive when I bough them. the outer part completely covers my ear, so there is no pressure on my ear at all. I've thought about upgrading since they are around 4-5 years old now, but they actually sound really good and virtual surround sound that works pretty well.

I use http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-HT-SHK002ECWH-eSports-Headset-Shining/dp/B004EJ0L8E/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1385065158&sr=1-4&keywords=esports+tt+headset I've gotten some ear throb before but it was only after a really loooong play period over teh course of one day/night. I play alot during the week and they dont bother me then. I've had complaints about my mic but I think its software related. Also I notice I pick up a lot of sounds in game that others miss. My ears stick out pretty good and these cup them comfortably plus they are not as expensive as others... This is my second set/ I stepped on the first ones other then that they've survived my kids

Edited by turnbullTeRRoR