FFO 2014 Thoughts

Flitterkill

One plus for the Clarion is that we have the power boxes that convert the 220 already built. Every single place we've been to besides BWH has presented us with power issues. If you're looking around, that has to be one of the top priorities.

As for the logo, I don't really understand the deer/scorpion thing in the middle.

And you never will.... :)

Location is absolutely open for discussion and hotel-based venues have a lot of upside but there are a couple of hitches, some harsher than others.

Cost is generally gonna be more for less space.

Restrictions, often severe, on food/drink in the meeting space. At BWH you could drink and eat whatever whenever. At hotels you may be restricted to a small hospitality space for any food not provided by the hotel *and* there may even be straight up prohibitions on alcohol completely unless security and/or bartenders (paid of course) are present.

Also curfews are not entirely uncommon...

Location open for discussion? If it were up to me I'd (selfishly) make it on the east coast :/.

Not that it would matter, I'm not even of American legal drinking age..

Edited by Keralis

• 3 weeks later...

Short update:

Last year the vibe from Clarion was a bit off... Not gonna go into any details but it was what it was.

This year after an innocuous inquiry by Marvin who is helping with the venue hunt we were effectively told to pound sand by them. Now maybe I make a call and get a reason, maybe I don't. It was last year, and is confirmed this year, as strange. Apparently they don't want our business.

So, BWH is still avail; July 18th weekend is all that remains for that month. I imagine late June and early August are still in play. They assure me the AC has been repaired. Give it another week or so for venue hunting and then make a call.

-Fk

PS: Since I'm here, take a look at what I've been spending my cancer time on - Firefox problems go away, fasters, and so on. Time frame? Soon.

k0bg.jpg

Short update:

Last year the vibe from Clarion was a bit off... Not gonna go into any details but it was what it was.

This year after an innocuous inquiry by Marvin who is helping with the venue hunt we were effectively told to pound sand by them. Now maybe I make a call and get a reason, maybe I don't. It was last year, and is confirmed this year, as strange. Apparently they don't want our business.

So, BWH is still avail; July 18th weekend is all that remains for that month. I imagine late June and early August are still in play. They assure me the AC has been repaired. Give it another week or so for venue hunting and then make a call.

-Fk

PS: Since I'm here, take a look at what I've been spending my cancer time on - Firefox problems go away, fasters, and so on. Time frame? Soon.

k0bg.jpg

That looks

AMAZING!!!!

I would definitely make it work this year. Last year i paid, but something came up and i couldnt make it. Luckily flitter was awesome and still sent me my shirt, my pint glass, and a few retro shirts from year past(thanks for that!). but this year i would definitely be down to go pending any real life come uppances.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are extremely lucky to have people in our community like Flitter who are willing to use their free time to work on trying to organize and schedule FFO for us. Please remember that when you post comments. Its one thing to provide options and solutions to perceived problems, its quite another to just sit back and be critical. If you see a problem that is not being addressed, by all means roll up your sleeves and help out. If there are 200 hotels in the area, call them up. Get the info and forward that to Flitter and the FFO team. I'm sure they would more than appreciate the help.

Shaftiel

• Like 1

Easy there buddy, I was just curious as to why I don't think I've ever seen it suggested before. It just seems to be a pro/con debate between Clarion and BWH without any mention of other venues. If it's just a matter of Flitter has his hands full and we don't have enough people helping than that's a reasonable answer.

We looked. By that I mean I looked, hard, last year, and Marvin took a run at it this year.

Tons of hotels, few with adequate meeting space (some just have "a room" and its about as big as you would expect).

Knock #2 is of the ones that do have the space many get booked up a year and a half or more in advance. That took out a good chunk of Cleveland metro and immediate suburbs. The password is "weddings".

Of the few remaining, restrictions. A nice option was an Akron something something. Near the airport. But... Would have to close shop at midnight (maybe 1am) and no drinking at all unless a well paid off-duty cop is around.

What is actually needed is for someone to win a lottery and buy us a building.

• Like 2

I say we book the same place we had in 2013 on the weekend they have available. It wasn't too much of an inconvenience for everyone in 2013 as I recall. I'm going to make an effort to come again this year as well provided we get enough of the big things sorted out. I'm going to also look forward to meeting the people who promised to come last year, but didn't.

• Like 1

I'm in. BWH is fine, kinda' sucked to drive, but, worst case scenario if you're hammered...just chill out for a few hours and then drive back, the hall's not going anywhere. And it had good food options nearby.

More people better start speaking up about going! All of us (xt group) have already been planning for this! :)

Would we be able to get a better table setup at BWH this year?

My boyfriend, our friend and I all plan on coming this year just need the date. They both had a lot of fun last year and they aren't even members of GC. More tabletop games for me this year specifically that one that Jackie wanted to play last year :happy:

Also we liked BWH as long as that A/C works which it sounds like it will.

Edited by DragonFire