Nice and chilly in my hunting spot

2013-12-02142018.jpg

Just gutting a deer here

IMG950713.jpg

Small doe I got

2013-12-03103031.jpg

Usually more deer, but we tried a new spot this year

1012778_652026184849129_440123978_n.jpg

These aren't the best photos, but I don't have any of the good ones. Mav has them all :(

• Like 1

Yours truly (left) with 5 greenheads including my first band.

post-4885-0-01964400-1387581132_thumb.jpg

They were taken from an unusual spot, but the 2nd picture is where we hunt more often. It was too windy to stay in the boat, so we used our coffin blinds instead:

post-4885-0-57063300-1387581231_thumb.jpg

Edit: That is my buddie's Super Black Eagle 2, not mine. I hunt with a regular ole' 870.

Edited by Smokey
  • Like 1

gasp somebody dunnin stole 8 of my decoys ....... *insert curses* low life scumbags. I went this morning and in the darkness of predawn thought my spread looked a little thin..... got out my flashlight and started counting and yeah the front half of my deeks been picked :mad: First time in 3 years with decoys I've ever been robbed. Some times one will break away with the current but the thing is there are multiple grass beds that cover the river from bank to bank including a hard as crapola bed right behind my decoys below the current....so if thy broke the would still be right there...... THIEVES GARRRRR that was 45 bucks worth of deeks RAAAAAGE

if I bag ducks at 7 am Im eating them by 10 and I likem! My meal was wild and free no chemicals no treatments. Natural the way is was meant to be. So have that burger and don't think about the death row that cow was born into or the crap shoved/ shot into it and its lineage. ( or if your actually eating someones passed away pet horse.....lot of that going around lately)

• 8 months later...

Howdy Folks!  Smokey checking in from Vermont Opening Goose Day.  We've been hunting Canada Geese about 4 miles from the Canadian border in Vermont's NorthEast Kingdom. 

In the past, we've used our 20' SeaArk with a blind covered with brown grass to take it into the swamps to hunt ducks.  This year, since we purchased layout boats for the swamps, the big boat is on big lake duty.  In order to make it work we decided to use ceder and fake rocks, so that if needed for diving ducks, we can just anchor the boat totally in the middle of the water.  We ended up with the best boat blind in the state:

post-4885-0-99885100-1409696168_thumb.jpg

It only took 12 hours of finding, and [poaching] ceder from around the area, transporting it, then attaching it to the blind with the rocks.  I think it turned out quite well, for any lakeshore with greens, and an island itself.  Most birds don't see anything like it.

And this is what it's all about, part of our 3 dozen fleet of full body Goose Dekes:

post-4885-0-92225100-1409696399_thumb.jpg

And:

post-4885-0-24036000-1409696441_thumb.jpg

And results you ask?  Needless to say it was a slow day [due to ridiculous 85 degree temps, and other hunters invading our spots, but we didn't get skunked].

Here's my hunting buddy, hard at work.  Btw, I met him playing counter-strike about a 8 years ago:

post-4885-0-34563000-1409696513_thumb.jpg

Happy Hunting!

P.S It was a great birdwatching day, regardless of how much we got to shoot our guns.  We saw: Bald Eagles, a Redtail Hawk, a Goshawk, Mallards, Wood Ducks, Herons, Kingfishers, a Loon, some Eastern Griebs, Bluebills, and of course, Canada Geese.

Sounds like fun. Closest thing to hunting I have been is fishing. The idea is roughly the same, you lure the fish (Ducks) in with bait (decoys) then when they bite (fly) they are hooked (shot). Some times you miss, but all in all a fun time is usually had. Someday I would love to go duck or deer hunting, I think it would be fun. Not to mention I really enjoy eating them thar animules.

Shaftiel

• 1 month later...

Howdy folks!  Smokey checking in again from Vermont.  Got some more fun stuff to report!

On our way to duckhunt, we ran into some turkeys and a serious stalk commenced.  After some stealthy positioning I was able to take the leader of the flock.  This 20 lbs. Tom, with a 8 inch beard and 1 inch spurs was shot with 3-inch 4-shot, steel of course!  I was loaded for ducks but had to make do.  

post-4885-0-37272000-1414952194.jpg

and

post-4885-0-73918100-1414952473.jpg

Next day, to complete our mixed bag, we made a 2 mile arduous walk (1 on the railroad, 1 through woods and swamp) to get to our super-secret duck spot.  Shot half dozen ducks, half dozen geese.

post-4885-0-92876100-1414952593.jpg

So far, it's been a good start to my hunting week!

• Like 5

Western Kentucky Rifle Hunt 2014 - shot the first buck I saw which is super unusual for me, but couldn't let this old guy just walk.  Ended up being a 9 point but he broke off his 10th fighting.  Mean old guy as I grunted him in and was looking to pick a fight. 

image4.jpg

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

Yes this is my ugly mug.  For those of you who want to know that is not an AWP, it's a browning .308 A-bolt.

image1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Howdy folks!  This post is pretty late, as these ducks were shot around Thanksgiving.  But I'm still proud of how we did!

Here's a shot of yours truly with 10 ducks in the boat plus a band! 

JKDAUN.jpg

And here's how we ended the day (for those of you who have been playing with me lately, that's Coontang on the left):

3pkEtS.jpg

This is our 3 man Mallard limit.  4 Mallards per hunter, and 1 Black per hunter.  We got our LiMiT! (Notice 2nd from right got maddddd headshotted).

5AtEyR.jpg

And:

JU0GOI.jpg

2 days, 35 ducks, 1 band.  It was a good hunt! 

Brought to you by #Failboat and Gungpow!

• 5 months later...