Tell us what your name means

Elvis

There are so many great names in this community I often wonder what made you choose that name... what does the name stand for.. why do you like it?

I'll start with the obvious. I like Elvis Costello. Underrated as a songwriter. I also relate to the sense of humor and the anti-establishment atttitude. I mean, the guy was banned from SNL for twelve years.

from OpenCulture:

"They were supposed to play his single “Less Than Zero,” a catchy tune about a loathsome politician in England. But only a few bars into the song, Costello put a stop to it. “I’m sorry, ladies and gentlemen,” he said, “but there’s no reason to do this song here.” At that point he and the band launched into “Radio Radio,” a song that takes a jab at corporate-controlled broadcasting. Saturday Night Live producer Lorne Michaels was furious. According to some reports, he raised his middle finger at Costello and kept it up until the unapproved song was over. Costello was banned from the show for nearly 12 years."

• Like 1

turnbull TeRRoR turnbull is the name of the area I grew up in. A small rural farming community. Back in the day ( 60- 70's) range some of the younger guys took some white paint and painted really large on the side of an old tobacco barn "TURNBULL TERROR" so thats where my name game from. Some of the older folks in the community had framed pictures of said barn with that painted on there........ and now you know

• Like 1

I drew a character a lot in High School that I decide to give him a name. I wanted it to have a strong and powerful presence to it. Valen was chosen as it sounded strong to me (ironically thats the meaning). Alvern was chosen as I wanted something to be catchy, and have a flow with the first name. Also the last name I chose means spring, greening, he is the youngest in his family (though I started out with just him till I built his backstory to have an older brother and a father).

I just choose it as my online name so it would be easier for my high school buddies to find me (i.e AIM at the time), and it sort of just stuck. Rather I refuse to change it.

• Like 2

As many have probably seen if they have me on their steam friend's list I like to change my name up and keep it fresh but Madvillian was the name I was using when I first became a member so it has stuck longer than many other names. The reason I used it: People who say "Are you mad?" or "You mad bro?" I could say to them "I am Mad, nice to meet you" and secondly it's fun being the villain.... can't be a hero all the time. Madvillain was an album made by 2 hip-hop artists Madlib and MF DOOM. Probably one of my top hip-hop albums of all time, it's always epic when you get 2 individuals who are at the top of their game working on a project together (in any field).

If any of you are Jazz fans and have a like for hip-hop or are feeling adventurous I would recommend checking out Madlib's album "Shades of Blue" (Remixed songs from Blue Note Records)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHMrJNZaatE

• Like 1

My name was actually recommended to me by Xbox Live when I was setting up my 360 for the first time. I don't remember how, but I liked it and kept it. It has nothing to do with Halloween, but because I love the Smashing Pumpkins (when they were still all the original band players anyway.)

My brother and nephew used their recommended Xbox Live user names too. SparkyCarton and FireWarhead. They actually aren't bad for two seemingly random words. :D

• Like 1

I syndicated the Howard Stern for a radio station in West Michigan for a while. When I built a machine for Source and my grand return to Counter Strike, it was plagued with stuttering problems. Stuttering John seemed like a good fit.

Shortened it to sj for a while, then finally landed on stutters.

• Like 2

The first time I played in a GC server, back in 2004 I guess...I was banned, wasn't sure why, so I came to the forums to straighten it out, and I was forced to create a forum account to post....and since I was clueless as to why I was banned, that's the name I used when I signed up :)

• Like 4

The first time I played in a GC server, back in 2004 I guess...I was banned, wasn't sure why, so I came to the forums to straighten it out, and I was forced to create a forum account to post....and since I was clueless as to why I was banned, that's the name I used when I signed up :)

That's actually the same reason I came to the forums also. I was accidentally banned and signed up to straighten it out. It was also about a month after you were banned. Was that GCs recruitment policy back then?

• Like 1

As a kid (late teens) I was fascinated by the lore that surrounded angels and demons. At the same time MUD's were becoming popular and I needed a name for a character. So I went hunting in all the books I had that listed angel and demon names, and I found the name Shaftiel. Shaftiel, according to this book, was a fallen angel, who before the fall was the keeper of the Angel of Death and the Judge of God. After I transitioned to FPS games like Doom, Quake, Unreal, and Counter Strike the idea of being the keeper of the Angel of Death and the Judge of God seemed like it fit pretty well in those games.

Shaftiel

• Like 2

So I've always been fascinated with Samurai. So I figured I would be samurai, but I knew it was too general of a name, and probably thousands of people just had Samurai as their name, so I needed to make it more unique. At the time I was playing Starcraft, and Zergling popped into my head. Somehow I just randomly thought of Nightling (the night really came from nowhere, but it really fits now as I do most of my gaming in the late hours of the night) And so I mashed the 2 together into Samurai Nightling. I finally shortened it to just Nightling in most games a few years ago as I figured that was unique enough and easier for people to type and say.

• Like 2

...I'll spare everyone the boring sentence about how I got my name with this current boring sentence telling how I'm sparing everyone the boring sentence on how I got my name.

Fine. About 10-11 years ago, I was never good at coming up with names to use in online games (like I am now), and I was always a fan of Jackie Chan. So, yeah. Told you it was boring.

• Like 2

That's actually the same reason I came to the forums also. I was accidentally banned and signed up to straighten it out. It was also about a month after you were banned. Was that GCs recruitment policy back then?

1st time I came to GC forums because I was kicked by Lunk, for "no idea why this happened to me" reason, and also wanted to check out the reservation membership thing.

Reading all these stories, despite Jackie calling them boring, I learnt a little. For instance, there was a such thing like "Xbox/AOL suggested names" or "a fallen angel". :)

Edit: and sure everyone heard this cool "itellpeoplethesamestorywhenigetdrunk" crasx' name. But he never explained WHY THE HECH there is "x" instead of "h".

P.S. I think we had this conversation at FFO. The best was about gl` name. :D

Edited by walkingCat

Peckles was a randomly generated name from Worms. For awhile when I first started, I was terrible (blah blah still terrible blah blah blah), so I would just try to stab people, and it became Knifey Peckles, which was often shortened to KP. I think only Beowulf still calls me KP. It's generally shortened to Peklz now, and constantly changes to integrate with some kind of reference to some kind of thing.

• Like 2

I played the Warcraft RTS games for a while and was totally enveloped in the storyline. My most favorite character was Illidan Stormrage. I also used to make custom maps my friends and I would LAN on, and I used to use Phoenix's as "gate keepers" so that no one could rush you until you were built up a lot. Made for a fun and lasting game. Plus it's my favorite mythological beast....and I was born and raised in Phoenix, AZ.

When WoW was released, I made a Night Elf shadow priest named Phoenixstorm on an RPG server because I wanted to be "related" to Illidan, plus I thought a "Storm of Phoenix birds covering the sky" was a good premise for the name (although I never RPd and I just raided). When I created an Xbox Live account that name was taken, so I chose Fenixstorm.

During raids, everyone just called each other by a shortened version of their name, so I was just called Phoenix for a while. When I created my steam account, I just shortened it to Fenix because I'm used to hearing that on team chat.

Edited by Fenix
  • Like 2

Actually not from the Big Lebowski, but actually from the turtles in Finding Nemo. We didn't really know the word 'dude' around here and it's one of my favourite scenes from one of my favourite movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTlvMvS1X8

So decided to make it my Steam Username.

I only saw the Big Lebowski for the first time about two months after joining GC. Everyone kept talking about that movie to me, i figured i should at least watch it.

• Like 2