Win 7 vs Win 8 for new gaming/streaming video rig

Wolfsblood

Ok, I've heard the horror stories about Win 8 and how it's built for tablets and the heck with us pc types. I have also heard some success stories about gaming pc users with Win 8. My question is what should I do for my new build? I figure my budget will end up somewhere in the mid $1300's. I can post the link to my build if that's interesting to anyone. I went for the AMD side of things because for what I wanted to spend on the processor, the Intel chip wasn't IMO good enough. Sure I could have spent more, but not on my budget. In a nutshell, 8 core proc, 16 gig ram, water cooling, and either a 660 GTX, or 760 GTX video card

So, what I'd like to know are your experiences, pros and cons. Building a new system, 7, or 8?

As we all know 7 is solid, you will have no issues or learning curve to deal with. You can also get better deals on OEM discs/licenses from what I see on the major tech sites.

However there is no real issue with Windows 8 other than humans are always scared of new things. Yes the interface has changed a bit but with 8.1 you get back some of those warm comfort feelings of 7. Windows 8 has been very stable since launch, it is so so so very fast as well. There may be some issues with some games out there but I am yet to have a problem myself. Once you get down some of the shortcut keys you can quickly navigate around Win 8. Most of the things you are used to seeing like My Computer and the control Panel are laid out just like they were in Win 7.

I have both of the operating systems on my machine, I just chose which drive at bootup but I must say I still normally default to Win 7 for my daily needs.

I'm using 7 with no desire to change. I have 8 on my laptop, and it's cool, but I just prefer 7 on my gaming rig, everything that I ever need access to its right where I can find it, and it runs flawlessly.

I have read about win 8 being more cpu hungry, causing some gamers issues in newer games like bf4, but since I have no first hand experience with that, you'll have to let your fingers do the walking.

id say go with win 7. from experience, ive had win 8 issues and reinstalled twice caused by a boot issue. it is built for touch screens, but just click on desktop when the tiles show up, lol. im on a laptop with geforce gfx card and win 8, havent had issues during gaming. but go with what ure comfortable with id say, when it comes to building ur own.

• 4 months later...

Things are progressing, though not as swiftly as I'd hoped. This isn't surprising as it's been a very long time since I've done a lot of command line programming and my linux tech guy lives in Finland. ;) It's still possible that I'll have to concede to a dual boot, especially since cs:go isn't listed as linux compatible and that's the primary game I'd likely be playing at Fragfest. There are also several other games that I built this system to play, that I bought through Steam and don't run on linux, as well as a few other programs I own that I use on a regular basis. If I can figure out workarounds for these, then I'll be very happy, if not... :/ Like I said, we'll see where this goes.

Nvidia's ShadowPlay is pretty nice for streaming/recording if you have a card that supports it. Nvidia has a chip on their card for streaming over the network to their Nvidia Shield (the handheld thing), but they let you use it for streaming and recording. It does all the encoding stuff on that chip so it doesn't affect your game performance like FRAPs and other capture software does.

You can set it to be always recording so you can kit a button and it saves your last 20 minutes of game play. It's pretty handy if you do something awesome and no one will believe you.

Edited by VooDooPC
  • Like 1

The basics are working extremely well. Getting it to run the windows versions of steam games is proving tricky though. i got windows steam to install just fine, and it installed some games I wanted to play. it even launched them without any issues, but as soon as I hit any keys on the keyboard, every game I've tried has crashed. I am a rookie at this. Yes I learned command line programming back in the mid 80's, but haven't used it much since the mid 90's.