Gaming Router Which One?

Lunk

What's a good gaming router for under $100? If possible one that I can throttle thru put for certain users.

I'm tired of my ping sky-rocketing every time my wife or daughters hop onto FB, YouTube or whatever other place they deem important on the internet.

Are you sure your current router doesn't support this? It's typically in the QoS section, which is usually somewhere in an advanced tab. Once you find that, look for anything that is MAC address related. You can throttle bandwidth there.

Post up what router you have and I'll dig through the manual. I've got some free time for the next few days...

I'm running an old Linksys WRT 51g and I thought about doing that back when my wife was playing Star Wars Galaxies. I hated that game (and the monthly fee) and figured if her computer was laggy, she'd stop playing. I decided I liked living more than I wanted her computer to connect slowly to the server.

Now my issue is we're using the internet connection to stream content our Roku, plus a couple smart phones, a nook, and sometimes an old ifone that uses wifi. Fortunately I don't do much online gaming anymore.

Are you sure your current router doesn't support this? It's typically in the QoS section, which is usually somewhere in an advanced tab. Once you find that, look for anything that is MAC address related. You can throttle bandwidth there.

Post up what router you have and I'll dig through the manual. I've got some free time for the next few days...

It's a Linksys WRT54GS.

It's a Linksys WRT54GS.

This should be specific to that model...

Go to Applications and Gaming

Click QoS tab (last tab)

Go into MAC Device Priority

Get the MAC addresses of the devices you want to limit (don't forget about phones and tablets).

Set those to the lowest priority

Set yours to the highest priority

It's not a true bandwidth speed cap, but it should take care of what you're looking for.

If it doesn't, you could install the tomato firmware on your WRT and then set some specific QoS rules.

sometimes when people write things over here,

i miss it

and have no idea what they're talking about.

why do you that?

it's not intentional, its the layout of the forum. it alters text. if i have my browser on full view, it doesnt do that, but i use windowed browser, it squishes the text to the right side often for the first lines.

ex: samurai's post above is like that on windowed browser for me, but if i go full, its fixed. u'll notice his text isnt right aligned for first 2 lines because the right side is not aligned, where as in ur post about this, it is.

Edited by oakgyrl510

Thanks Stutters! I think I'll give the tomato firmware a try.

Did you already have QoS enabled?

I actually had it enabled and set up on my router a long time ago, and ran in to the same issues that you mentioned. GF would get on and just browse and my ping would skyrocket. Turned out the QoS was messing everything up (don't ask me how). It actually all worked fine when I turned it off and I've just left it off since.

Try disabling it before you install the other stuff, might be a simple fix :)

Thanks Stutters! I think I'll give the tomato firmware a try.

Try disabling it before you install the other stuff, might be a simple fix :)

If you're setting QoS by protocol, that's not surprising, especially if you're using the default protocol/service types.

AFAIK, you need to set MAC address-based QoS rules to limit bandwidth to a specific device. You may be able to do this in your WRT-54g settings (Application and Gaming -> QoS -> MAC Device Priority).