What university should I go to?

Keralis

Berea College in KY. One of the best-ranked liberal arts colleges in the US and they give a full-ride scholarship to every student. Granted, it's a work college, but working 10 hours a week in exchange for a free degree isn't a bad tradeoff. I arrived there in 2009 with about $50 in my pocket and left with zero student debt and a pretty decent degree. If your parents have a high Federal EFC, you might have to pay a little for room and board, but it never exceeded $1800/semester for me, which I paid off mostly myself with the money I made working.

Edited by Banana
  • Like 1

As this got revived, I might as well toss in my two cents.

This really depends on what you want to end up doing down the road. Ultimately, I chose to go to a lower-caliber school where I got a full ride (University of Minnesota) instead of my much more expensive first choice school (Stanford); however, I only chose this route because I intend to go to graduate school once I have completed my undergraduate studies. If your bachelors will be your terminal degree, take the school with the best program. If you intend to continue your education, minimize your debt.

Contrary to other people, I advise going to Rutgers and transferring. If you want to go to graduate school, you should really pick who you want to write you references and work with them as much as possible all 3-4 years you're there.

TL;DR - Best program if terminal degree, cheapest program if grad. school.

• 3 weeks later...

Chiming in late here but if you are still reading, let me add a few things.

1. Take a look at Virginia Tech. They have a great Computer Science program

2. Consider doing community college your first two years to get the basics out of the way. It is much cheaper and you can remain local most of the time. It's a great idea if money is a concern.

3. Be careful of the "Education bubble" meaning colleges are ridiculously expensive right now. You do not want to spend the rest of your life paying off your loans if it can be helped. My #2 recommendation can help a great deal with that.