The infected spawn timer crash

looneypumpkin

GC Board Member
(edited)

I wanted to see if this has been brought to everyone's attention and to see if there's anything that can be done about it.

I'm finding it extremely frustrating because it is happening so much lately. I talked with Yoshi about it some today (who seems to think it's a glitch with the server) and it is when your spawn timer goes to 0 or sometimes when you spawn, and your entire game crashes back to desktop. Needless to say you lose all your points (usually when you're close to tank, at least for me) and half the time you lose the spot on your team. It really puts infected at a huge disadvantage. So I hope someone has some ideas or something can be done? :( (or a way to avoid this glitch.)

Edited by looneypumpkin

i swore someone said that it was valve's fault lol

but to answer crasx's questions: win 8, havent looked at logs but will the next time it happens, i havent experienced this issue on other servers and it only happens when on infected side on this server. has not happened once on surv side for me. it's been happening for a while now, happen way before the server vanilla time lol.

as for what proto said, i dont touch any buttons when waitin for respawn, usually snackin/drinkin lol

Edited by oakgyrl510

Same thing happens to me almost every time I play...but it only happens once, then it doesn't happen again the rest of the night. And now that you mention it, I do only remember the game crashing while as a ghosted infected.

It seems to only happen two ways I've discovered. When the spawn timer as infected reaches 0 or when you physically spawn in from ghost mode. These are just the times that I have noticed, could be other things. I run on Windows 8 but I don't think it would be of much use seeings as it would appear everyone has been having the issue. It's been happening quite a bit as of today. Haven't tried any other servers, and its been happening for the past few months.

my game used to crash sometimes just before i spawn in mid-air. The fix for me was removing sound files that I dled for custom campaigns, and cleaning up addons. Now i don't have the problem anymore, but this may not be applicable to you. im on windows 7.

GC Board Member

To crasx: Windows 7 64bit. Not sure where error logs would be. I don't play on other servers but could test it. It has been happening for months, but since the last update for me it was happening about every 30 minutes to an hour yesterday. It happened to several of us during Hard Rain late yesterday afternoon and left me convinced we lost the game over it due to how many points we lost. (Was still a close game but took the fun out of it.)

proto: I will try to not be touching ANYTHING and see if that helps. I cannot remember if I do that or not.

I also verified my files again for the 3rd time. After the last update my game wouldn't start, so I verified the files which FAILED. I had to completely redownload the entire game and that's when I've been noticing the problem even more. Before it would happen like others have said, maybe once and then never again. But now it's to the point where I'm nervous to save my points for tank, so I buy other things. Sort of nerve wracking.

Also the only add-on I have is shirtless Ellis <3

Ya it's as if the game is closed out completely mid-game. It's really odd. I can pinpoint when this started happening to me. It was around the time L4D2 had a major patch that came out (maybe a year ago?) and I think it's when they opened the mod store. The patch was when all the L4D2 files were reorganized or something, and a lot of people were having issues just starting the game after it was released and crasx spent a lot of time having to recode the server to get it up and running again.

Ever since then, after utilizing a fix from steam, when I start the game, I get an error that happens during the load screen of the game (I have to hit escape to close the load screen since it happens within a steam window). But randomly (sometimes never), I will be playing the game and all of a sudden I'm looking at my desktop (game is completely closed and not running, but Steam is still up).

I hope that gives some clues as to what is going on.

for everyone who is having issues.

In your config.cfg

64 bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\cfg
32 bit: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\cfg

Add at the very end of the file

log on

after your game crashes go to

64 bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\logs
32 bit: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\logs

find the latest file. either sort by modified date or use filename format(L216_052_148_077_27015_yyyymmddhhss_000.log where yyyy=year mm=day hh=hour ss=seconds

pm this file to me or upload to dropbox and send me a link

pm because it may contain sensitive data

GC Board Member
(edited)

Sometimes there is a frame loop, but most of the time, no. Sometimes while playing infected the game sort of "staggers" and I think it's gonna crash but it doesn't. I also want to say some of the time while waiting to spawn in, I have the buy menu open because I'm checking to see how close I am to tank. Maybe that's why it seems like every time we crash it's close to tank.

I've edited the config file and will play some later today so maybe we'll get somewhere.

Edited by looneypumpkin

• 2 weeks later...