Why am I getting random outbreaks of sudden depression

Hey

Don't know where to put this, so I'm going to put it here.

Judging by the title, you probably already know what this is about. I'll be honest, when I am online, the way I act is generally happy and light-hearted. While I am in the most part actually happy and light-hearted, there are a few times where I've been pretty upset and basically covering it up with a "character"

I'm not always just happy and light-hearted, and sometimes I do actually take things seriously, even though it may not seem like it. I cover a lot of things up with laughter and jokes, mainly because I don't want others to catch my sadness.

Now before you say it, no I am not suicidal. I really have nothing to gain through suicide. There was an extremely dark period when I was younger where I was really depressed and sad, but even then I wasn't suicidal.

Now you're probably wondering why I am depressed in the first place, because I have nothing to be depressed about. I have an amazing life; I come from a loving family, I have no problem making friends, and I was accepted into my dream university. So why am I depressed...

I have no idea, that's what. If I was just depressed, and I knew why, I wouldn't just put it out here. There have just been really, really, stupid small things that just sometimes make me super depressed. For example, I was making tea one day and I spilled a little, and I just felt really depressed. Like incredibly trivial things are just making me feel like crap. I had a dream about dropping a plate on the ground, and when I woke up, I started crying. I don't know what the hell is going on with my brain. Sometimes I just feel my life will be trivial to the overall existence of the universe even if I grow up to lead a happy life. To be fair, I'm not always sad. In fact, I'd say 90% of the time I am happy (or at least neutral). I just have no idea why I'm just getting random outbreaks of sadness for such trivial reasons...

I just want to know if any of you guys are experiencing these weird things, or if I should go see a psychiatrist.

Edited by Keralis

I do get bouts of depression but it's more in stages. From depressed to really depressed... happiness isn't really in there anywhere.

If you are covering up your depression by acting happy and aren't legitimately happy, it could be mild to severe depression. It could even stem from stress. If you do have large swings between happiness and depression it could be some form of bipolar disorder.

I would recommend seeing a psychologist before a psychiatrist. Psychiatrists usually tend to prescribe medication which doesn't always solve the heart of the problem. Psychologists try to find out the problem and solve it mentally without the use of medication. It's a different school of thought and depends on if you're comfortable taking medication or not. I personally don't feel medication is the answer to mental disorders. They may suppress the symptoms but they do not solve any underlying issues.

Also, not everyone that is depressed or has a disorder is suicidal. The suicide rate is definitely higher in those with severe depression or certain other disorders but is not a sure thing. Do not assume, "I must not be depressed because I'm not suicidal".

Before you take any of my advice I should let you know I'm not a doctor, psychologist, or psychiatrist. I've taken a number of psychology classes in school because I find the way the mind works extremely interesting. If you have a family doctor or general doctor I would talk to them, maybe they can recommend a psychologist or psychiatrist. Talking to them may even give you a better sense of the issue.

Edited by VooDooPC

I do get bouts of depression but it's more in stages. From depressed to really depressed... happiness isn't really in there anywhere.

If you are covering up your depression by acting happy and aren't legitimately happy, it could be mild to severe depression. It could even stem from stress. If you do have large swings between happiness and depression it could be some form of bipolar disorder.

I would recommend seeing a psychologist before a psychiatrist. Psychiatrists usually tend to prescribe medication which doesn't always solve the heart of the problem. Psychologists try to find out the problem and solve it mentally without the use of medication. It's a different school of thought and depends on if you're comfortable taking medication or not. I personally don't feel medication is the answer to mental disorders. They may suppress the symptoms but they do not solve any underlying issues.

Also, not everyone that is depressed or has a disorder is suicidal. The suicide rate is definitely higher in those with severe depression or certain other disorders but is not a sure thing. Do not assume, "I must not be depressed because I'm not suicidal".

Before you take any of my advice I should let you know I'm not a doctor, psychologist, or psychiatrist. I've taken a number of psychology classes in school because I find the way the mind works extremely interesting. If you have a family doctor or general doctor I would talk to them, maybe they can recommend a psychologist or psychiatrist. Talking to them may even give you a better sense of the issue.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I talked to my brother who is a psychology major and he says that I'm just experiencing a "mid-life crisis" at a younger age.

I trust you when you say your happy but have you found your niche? I mean is it as though your missing someting like its just not there and you can't even define it? I had small bouts of that years ago when I was 19-23 ish. I"m hoping they dont return when I my divorce finalizes and I move into a new place w/o my kids all the time. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers

I trust you when you say your happy but have you found your niche? I mean is it as though your missing someting like its just not there and you can't even define it? I had small bouts of that years ago when I was 19-23 ish. I"m hoping they dont return when I my divorce finalizes and I move into a new place w/o my kids all the time. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers

Sorry to hear that you're having a divorce, my parents were in one and it was very upsetting(now you know why I was depressed when I was younger)

You're pretty much spot on. I feel like there's a empty hole in my life even though it seems so perfect right now.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are a redditor check out r/depression, they have some good resources and discussions. Maybe even post it there. A lot of people have gone through similar feelings and some gather there ready to help.