Would You have Stayed?

chick82

Did you understand all the server rules on the first day, and if no one helped you or explained, Would you have stayed?

When you asked about the !buy or !heal or people explained and got mad at you, would you have stayed?

What if admins kicked you when you were new because regulars said you were greifing or trolling or wouldn't use points or send points? Would you still be here?

What if members made comments about how you played or insulted you, and you remained quiet, would you stay if an admin or other people didn't defend you and tell them to stop?

What if members didn't come save you because you were new, and said "Just leave him, who cares?" Would you have stayed?

What if admins also yelled at you for being new because other members did it? Would you stay?

In all honesty, if you were brand new to the server and people treated you badly, threatened to kick you, admins threatened to ban you, all because you were new, would you have stayed?

If you say you wouldn't think about the things you guys have been doing lately to the wave of new players we have. Sure some people are trolls, rushers, curers, but we as admins deal with it.

In all honestly, you guys have to stop all this mean attitudes and hurtful comments. You guys have to realize these things:

1) You could have 1 hour or 10000 hours in l4d2, you are welcome in GC.

2) You don't have to have a mic to play on the GC server. Sure it helps but it's okay if you don't.

3) Some people don't communicate, they just want to shoot and follow the team, and that's okay on the GC server.

4) You don't have to spit and die, on the GC server.

5) You deserve to have your teammates make just as much effort for that guy with 1 hour as they would for that powerhouse member they would save, on the GC Server.

6) You have a right to play on the GC Server and not be insulted by anyone be it non-member, member, or admin.

7) You have a right to make mistakes and not feel bad about on the GC Server.

8) It's okay if you are not perfect on the GC Server. It's okay to have moments of frustration, but it also is GC to make it right.

Admins make mistakes, members make mistakes, new players make mistakes. That's okay. Sometimes we let a swear slip, or rush a little further then expected, sometimes we let a heated moment get the best of us, and that's okay on GC. But when moments turn into non-stop or constants it's not okay.

Just remember you were new once, and had people treated you the way some of you treat people now you probably wouldn't have stayed, and you most defiantly wouldn't have bought a membership. So think about that next time you want to insult someone, call them a noob, say ditch him, or ask "can we kick them". Because people even online have feelings and GC is an amazing community that is here to make sure people have fun, smile, laugh, joke with one another, and walk away not feeling sad or hurt.

I've made mistakes, I haven't always been the most pleasant or nicest person to everyone, and while some people I can't make it up too for whatever the reason, I pay it forward. Trying to make sure that I don't repeat those mistakes and others don't either. You can't always go back an apologizes or fix it, but what we all can do is move forward, have fun, play nice, and only insult the ones we love, respect the ones who are new, and remove the ones who don't want to be GC.

Love you all(except Zero and Peanut),

Chick

Edited by chick82
  • Like 3

On the note of helping new members, can we get the big howto sprays back?

I just noticed the other day it was missing. I know Maestro made his spray one, but we can see if Jackie or Crasx can put it back in there.

All good stuff. Agree, we need to always encourage all members to help out on this. I do not believe this is a new thing however. It has gone on since the first day I played on the server.

Only thing I want to comment on, is regarding about going back to help someone. The vast majority of the time, the team should be going back to help each player make it. But there are spots or times on certain maps, where going back for an in-cap will probably kill the entire team. With players that are experienced, we will send points, so they can get up. If it is a newer player, who does not communicate or know how to use the buy menu (or type !heal), they may have to be sacrificed. There are times when I am in-capped at a spot and will tell the team not to come back for me.

• Like 1

i've been reprimanded for going back for nubs players by members and admins. to members, i told them i wont leave a human player if they are somewhere where i can go back to save em. to the admins, i said nothing and just went back for em. if they got a prob with it, im not breaking any rules so if i was kicked or banned for it, its unjustified. its in my nature to help, even if nub player is shopping or whatever. ive died countless times tryin to help those in back. rushers? i never rush to save em, they deserve to die for rushing.

on that note though, ive seen many nub players get PERM ban for less. griefing, attitude and language/racism issues, i get why they may get perm ban on first account sometimes. but perm ban for their first couple time on server for bot spammin and/or rushing? i dont think thats justified. just last night, someone was perm banned for "bot spamming," which i think is silly since its his first ban record as well and he's clearly new to the server based on his hours.

http://www.gamrs.co/l4d/sourcebans/index.php?p=banlist&advSearch=STEAM_1:1:26640135&advType=steamid&Submit

http://www.gamrs.co/l4d/stats/player.php?steamid=STEAM_1:1:26640135

Edited by oakgyrl510
  • Like 1

perm ban for their first couple time on server for bot spammin and/or rushing? i dont think thats justified. just last night, someone was perm banned for "bot spamming," which i think is silly since its his first ban record as well and he's clearly new to the server based on his hours.

http://www.gamrs.co/l4d/sourcebans/index.php?p=banlist&advSearch=STEAM_1:1:26640135&advType=steamid&Submit

Not to get off topic well I guess this is sorta on. He was perma banned for calling his team f****ing noobs, and this was after being kicked for bot spamming and continuing even after asked to not he was told to stop. Had he just bot spammed I would have just given him a 15 min.

I played L4D2 on here for what, a good 2 years? I finally gave up playing it because I felt more like I was babysitting without getting paid than being able to have fun playing the game I liked.

Part of it may be because the game is so team oriented that 1 stupid player can ruin it for everyone. But it's also the complexity of the !buy system. I realized the more complex we made it, the more a tiny hiccup from a teammate ruined your chances of winning. The most fun I had was in the beginning when the !buy system was as simple as it ever was.

2 cents from a veteran/retired L4D2 player. Just saying, we don't have 90% of the issues on the CS:GO server that I still read about with the L4D2 server.

• Like 2

perm ban for their first couple time on server for bot spammin and/or rushing? i dont think thats justified. just last night, someone was perm banned for "bot spamming," which i think is silly since its his first ban record as well and he's clearly new to the server based on his hours.

Not to get off topic well I guess this is sorta on. He was perma banned for calling his team f****ing noobs, and this was after being kicked for bot spamming and continuing even after asked to not he was told to stop. Had he just bot spammed I would have just given him a 15 min.

im just saying, his first ban is still a perm ban. you said people do slip up and make mistakes, his mistake cost him a perm ban. usually after first time someone cuss, people tell em not to do it, then if they continue or fight about it, a kick/ban is implemented from previous experience which is what i think would be right. so yes, this guy didnt get warned for lang but got perm ban for that and bot spam. i just dont see whats wrong with a day or week ban instead esp since its not like he's continually getting banned for his actions. i dont see where he was given the choice to make up for what he did wrong with the cussing. he was initially kicked for bot spam, not cussing.

In the past, I do not believe there was a written group of rules with penalties for admins to completely follow. So some admins may have been more lenient than others or seemed harsher. We do now have a good description of rules, along with penalties (thanks Jackie!), so going forward the actions and penalties should be similar amongst admins. More specifically though, cursing will get a warning, then a day ban if they continue. If it goes along with harassing/insulting others, it will be a warning then a perm ban.

Remember with perm bans, in some situations, we are trying to get them to come to the forums, admit they made the mistake and promise not to do it again. The goal is to get someone to understand the ramifications, show he/she really wants to continue playing on our server, and stop them from breaking the rules in the future. If admins were on 24 hours a day, it would be easy, we could just kick anyone breaking the rules and they could come back on after. Since we can not always be on, we have to figure, if someone refuses to follow the rules when an admin is on, they will come back when no admin is on and do it again (ruining everyone's game, causing forum posts about needing more admins).

If you do think an admin is too strict, in a specific situation, you should demo/screen shot it and send it in to board members to look at. Or talk to the admin directly if you want. But it really should be about a specific situation.

Regarding going back to help players in difficult/impossible situations, you should not be kicked/banned for doing so. But do not get mad at the rest of your team if they refuse to help, if you also get trapped. I just got out of a game on parish where a smoker pulled me to a sewer hole, and a jockey got me and took me in, brought me really far and incapped me, then a hunter killed me. That was an awesome job by the infected. I told my team not to come back to help me, as it would make no sense for me to get the entire team killed to save me. (my team actually sent me 30 points to respawn, then helped me get back to them) But I do understand how you want to go back and help. I have a hard time leaving people in that situation. Also, again, in MOST situations, the team needs to come back. I was only referring to the more extreme situations when someone is back so far, that going back will definitely kill the entire team.

Hope that helps some

on a kinda unrelated note a lot of people love to just leave bots behind even in easily defensible areas. liike 2 days ago at the top of the slide in carny 3, a few people dropped and then the 1 bot we had got incapped and then like 2 people urgently started telling every to drop. i don't get why you would leave free points incapped in an easy to defend area...

tldr "leave the bot" is only applicable in actual dangerous for the picker-upper situations

• Like 1

When I stumbled upon GCFTW, I was at a point where I was starting to get tired of L4D2 and likely would have stopped playing altogether. I decided to give the big group servers a try, randomly clicked on GCFTW, and got hooked immediately. It was a great experience and the people and admins are what kept me hanging around, because it was a really cool crowd and it was a much more forgiving style of play than most versus servers. So yeah the people were pretty great (Except Peanut, that jerk)

That being said, I had the sense to try to stay in the middle of the group until I learned how the maps were played in 10v10, and if I had 4 people screaming at me over the mic to do something, I listened to them, which it seems many new players do not. : P hence the frustration with a lot of new players.

I agree 100% with your comments chic. What happens is..... New people join, and some are good like Cloney, Jim etc and a few others. People who dont listen over and over seem to do it on purpose like last night when I was playing and told Maestro about our new guys.

I am usually nice to new people, especially if they respond and listen.

People who rush and no matter what you say, ignore you... well thats super annoying.

Maybe they dont have sound. Maybe they dont speak english. Then the server is not for them then and a lot of people would agree.

I mean last night, Maestro sounded like a broken record .. over and over. dont rush. dont spam bot talk. Help your team. over and over.

• Like 1

Yes Peanut, some Admins are more lenient than others, If thats how you want to put it. But stricter admins do not make the server a better place. I personally do not like strict admins as they seem to be hypocrites to their close friends. But those strict admins seem to never play anymore or not as much and the server has been calmer. The new crew of Admins is very good alond with some of the older ones as the mix is very balanced.

As a matter of fact, I find Jackie who runs the show and should be the most strict very lenient, hence why he is a great Admin. :) I probaly would not have stayed if Jackie was a poopie head.

Yes, Zero, you are a Great Admin too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

People who rush and no matter what you say, ignore you... well thats super annoying.

This. I gave up helping new people because most of the time, they'll ignore you, some would even start swearing. I know i was new once, but I quickly learned about the server in a few days coz I used common sense, and unfortunately most new players that join in don't have that, they just rush, die, rage. Not even thinking that this is not a race to who gets to the safe room first.

Kudos to Maestro who would talk at the start of a campaign/map and remind all players of the server rules. :thumbsup: . And to Meng (never thought saying Meng as an admin would make me feel nauseous :yuck:) as well for his bind keys to show the server rules as well.

• Like 1

Yortz, It so hard to play and be Admin. I tell you. I been such a worse player now (Cant play as good). Last night, people were swearing, bot spamming, rushing and thats just the regulars. Just kidding. It was new people, but I gave out warnings and kicked a few. Keeps the server clean

oh my. My hands were full.

I know the server is a better place now. We need you back to be part of that.

Edited by Garychios

I remember a long time ago when a pro player got moaned at & didn't come back. He had about 4-5k hours playing & was his 1st time on the gcftw server i pleaded with him to come back & he did twice but i believe the same thing happened again, which is a real shame to think that not only are most noobs with potential not coming back but also the pro's, just remember to keep an eye out for the experienced ones & focus on teaching them the rules rather than the guy running back to the saferoom for more ammo.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If I was a psychopathic computer hacker, I would hunt them down and put them out of their pathetic miserable existence. Or better yet, torture them to the point of insanity.

and it's a good thing I'm not

PS: Apply for admin, I'd vote for ya over peanut any day :laugh:

lawl gracias but as i said in the other thread i havent been home lately due to work and real life stuff. gotta plan a wedding for my friend and plus my girls keep stealing me away so why fight a battle i cannot win?

• 2 weeks later...

Would you stay if no one listened to your opinion simply because you were "different" in some way?

Would you stay if people kept ridiculing you over something that was done ages ago? People can't change in this world am I right?

Would you stay if people couldn't let go of the past, pretending this is high school and kept bringing up all the wrong committed and ignoring anything good done in the future?

Would you stay if no one would realize the good you do because all they can remember is the bad, when that bad is no longer even present?

Would you stay if just for being present, people would make jokes or comment bad things about you, when you have said nothing at all?

Would you stay if this was your friend that was being picked at, or would you speak up and try and fix the situation, like I have?

• Like 2