Mumble

crasx

• 3 weeks later...

Board Members have to make authenticated users and I think there is a master admin password as well.. I'd have to look into it a bit more.

*edit

Okay, made myself and san admin so anyone who wants me to add them as admin let me or san know.

Here i am

download: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

Install.

Add new server

Label: Whatever you want

Address: gamrsco.typefrag.com or m.gcftw.com

Port: 6050

Username: Your username

Will prompt for password

summer2011

To enable push to talk you can go to configure->audio wizard and run through the tutorial. There is a section where you can enable push to talk and select the key

Note: If you use a logitech G930 Headset

1) Close Mumble. Right click on the mumble shortcut and click on properties. Go to the compatibility tab and check the option "Run This Program in Compatibility Mode for" with Windows XP Service Pack 3 selected. Then click ok.

2) Now open Mumble, connect, and go to configure- audio wizard.
- uncheck enable positional audio
- make sure direct sound is selected

Made it to mumble. Lot like vent no one there is noone there....... ty for the info

• 4 months later...

Question for who is managing the Mumble server. I am trying to set one up myself for personal use and am curious if this is self-hosted (VPS) or through a Mumble provider. I’ve been having issues getting Mumble-Django to install properly so I am curious about what is being used and maybe what OS so I can switch if necessary. I got it all to run on Debian 6 but the version of Mumble Server (Murmur) and Mumble Django is a few version behind and lacks some features.

Question for who is managing the Mumble server. I am trying to set one up myself for personal use and am curious if this is self-hosted (VPS) or through a Mumble provider. I’ve been having issues getting Mumble-Django to install properly so I am curious about what is being used and maybe what OS so I can switch if necessary. I got it all to run on Debian 6 but the version of Mumble Server (Murmur) and Mumble Django is a few version behind and lacks some features.

Ours is hosted by Typefrag.

Ours is hosted by Typefrag.

That is probably the easiest way to do it but a low-end VPS for $7 a year cannot be beat if only I could get this to work. I got Mumble to run on my RaspberryPi.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering what the total user limit is on our mumble. I am in a beta and might need to use it for a group thing. In the same vein, would it be possible to add a room for me to use? Named Shaftiel, or whatever you think would be descriptive but still indicate its me lol. Additionally, would it be possible to add me as an admin, so I can make sure if there is a problem with some of the people I can deal with it.  Thanks

Shaftiel

• 3 months later...

Ok everybody, while we're working on adding more slots, please stop sitting in the AFK channel. Even if we kick you, the auto reconnect just takes up a slot again.

To combat this, if you're sitting in AFK and there's a full server, we'll be banning you. Thanks.

Also, you can disable auto reconnect by clicking Configure, Settings, Network on the left side, and uncheck the box.

If you guys need a 50 slot i could probably help you guys out. my Clan leader has a 25 and a 50 slot mumble servers he trying to rent out I'm not sure how much but i could always ask to see if its cheaper then what u guys are paying now and maybe it could help out you guys out. just shoot me a message if u guys are curious.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Admins, have you considered Discord as an alternative to Mumble? IMO it's much, much easier to set up both as a user and as a moderator, and you don't have to pay for the servers – it's completely free and all hosted by Discord. It's meant for gaming, too. You can have multiple text channels, multiple voice channels, an AFK voice channel, as well as PMing. You can also make different user groups, kind of like Mumble, and you can "prune" (kick) users based on a specified length of time inactive (for example, three months).

It also has a very nice mobile app that's first-party and fully functional (except for mod settings).

If you have any questions about the experience from a mod standpoint, feel free to ask me. I've been fiddling around with it for some months now and can't wait for some big-league groups to pick it up.

Discord is under active development and I honestly think it's leagues easier and better than Mumble and Teamspeak. See their website for more information: www.discordapp.com

Admins, have you considered Discord as an alternative to Mumble? IMO it's much, much easier to set up both as a user and as a moderator, and you don't have to pay for the servers – it's completely free and all hosted by Discord. It's meant for gaming, too. You can have multiple text channels, multiple voice channels, an AFK voice channel, as well as PMing. You can also make different user groups, kind of like Mumble, and you can "prune" (kick) users based on a specified length of time inactive (for example, three months).

It also has a very nice mobile app that's first-party and fully functional (except for mod settings).

If you have any questions about the experience from a mod standpoint, feel free to ask me. I've been fiddling around with it for some months now and can't wait for some big-league groups to pick it up.

Discord is under active development and I honestly think it's leagues easier and better than Mumble and Teamspeak. See their website for more information: www.discordapp.com

I think we're quite happy with Mumble. Thanks for the suggestion though.