The Voting System

MurderinClony

THIS IS NOT ABOUT !VOTEKICK. DO NOT MAKE IT SO! ARGUE ELSEWHERE!

This is about the votes that admins call near end of rounds and such.

In particular this is about the "skip" vote that they can call.

Some times when a game is winnable, even if the winning team makes it , but do not get the max points, leaving a chance for the infected to pull it back, many people want to skip.

Now I know this may sound a bit odd but bare with me

The survivors have a chance at losing yet someone on the other team throws up the idea of a skip and so the admin throws out the skip vote.

The survivors have a chance at losing so I wouldn't doubt that a good majority of the survivors will vote yes to skip to avoid possibly losing. In worst case scenarios that is 10 out of 20 votes. That is but 1 measly vote from a majority.

What if the whole infected team wanted to actually play and have a chance at winning, but one infected did not want to try for some various reason like, too long a finale, or they don't like the finale, etc... That one infected hits yes and boom the vote is through with 90% of the infected team wanting to play it out.

I honestly believe something like a skip ought to be a majority for both teams vote like the valve vote for sv_alltalk is. Anyone else think this might be good?

• Like 1

When someone ask "can we skip this" the admins should ask over chat if people want, if a few people say no they don't there shouldn't be a vote put up. If no one objects then a vote can be put up.

But I do think if you play one half the other half should be played. Once in a while everyone is like can we just move on, and that's fine, like both sides.

But yes if you guys are really opposed to it say so. If one person says skip we won't do a vote. If one person says no don't skip we will put up a vote. BUT if a lot of people are saying skip, and a lot aren't we aren't going to vote. I know that seems odd, but honestly, on a half round we should be playing those out, unless like I said everyone is like "skip it" (which does happen on occasions).

I'm really tired and rambling.

My 2 cents.

Ok wait a minute so if 19 people want to skip, but one doesn't we don't put up a vote? What is the sense of having a vote system at all then. The purpose of the vote is to get a majority consensus on what we should do with the map etc. If one person (and there is always at least one) does or doesn't want to do X then there is no sense in having a voting system at all. The voting system also provides a log so that if "questions" arise in the forums you have proof that this was discussed, voted, and passed. I am all for having guidelines, but the way this is written may be a touch too confining. Many of us have played these maps hundreds of times, if the finale comes up and 90% of the people want to move on, because of points gap etc. Lets do it and move on especially when you get the scores that are 2000 points apart. I think by not moving on, when a vast majority of the people wish to, you run the risk of clearing out the server. In my view the vote system is a way to settle those decisions when you are getting mixed reactions on weather to do this or that. The very purpose of a vote system is to settle something by a majority when there is indecision. Maybe by making a majority vote having to a higher number, might make more sense say 60% or something like that, would be more appropriate. I can't speak for other admins, but I usually wait for several people to call skip, before I even put up a vote. I will say that Murderin's idea of a majority on both teams would be a good idea also, but I don't know how feasible either of these options are? A more important question may be....how often is this even an issue?

• Like 1

When votes are put up, there is the other added confusion that many votes fail for whatever reason.

Some people want to play, others don't. The only way to ascertain is to have a vote - even in a democracy, the minority rule most of the time.

Ok wait a minute so if 19 people want to skip, but one doesn't we don't put up a vote?

It was meant for more of a "if like 4-5 people want to skip". I didn't feel the need to add that point because when ever is there a situation where 19 people want to skip and 1 person says no? Pretty much never.

• 2 months later...

So this is a few months old topic, but I will say this again, even though Jackie's guideline was shown here, I still have the same complaint as before.

I have been to a finale with plenty of admins and they ask for a skip, I say no don't skip along with a few others, and what happens? A vote skip is called and it is passed.

What happened to the "If... One or more players do not want to skip, do not put up a vote."

I played in a No Mercy game just a few hours ago and a few people on my team, including me, said no we do not want to skip. What happened? A vote skip was called, however it failed. But it was still called, and then they proceeded to vote for charger dodge ball, which is okay but not when the scores are pretty bad and half the other team probably didn't want to.

From a 54% vote majority for yes, I'm sure half of one team didn't want to. I would think votes like messing around and having fun would need to be a 100% because its not fun if one team is enjoying themselves while the other team suffers because only 1 person on the their team wanted to. I know I wasn't really enjoying being teleported to the helipad and immediately getting charged off, without a second to even hit the ground because some charger was ready to plow through us all, but I can assure you the infected were having a blast trying to charge all 10 of us off in one push through.

I dont think we should skip at all

Its The amount of survivors that can Survive and its the round that counts in my book

people leaving and others joining change from round to round

Score almost always means nothing to me

• Like 2

Its The amount of survivors that can Survive and its the round that counts in my book

The score matters HUGELY to a lot of the players in our server. Or more particularity the victory aspect of it.

• Like 1

The score matters HUGELY to a lot of the players in our server. Or more particularity the victory aspect of it.

yes, sometimes they get mad and starts accusing teammates.

but most the time its the same people, teams barely change through a campaign. And when your team gets rolled its too frustrating to continue. New campaign = new teams. Also i remember how you stayed in spec cause of how bad our team was. You wouldnt support a skip at the finale?

Edited by Twins

I screwed up the server last night. I was trying to set the next map, and forced the next map.

No one seemed to care at the end as I apologized , but Again, sorry for my mistake. Not sure if this is coming up again from last night.

Some of the commands are still hard to get use to.

Edited by Garychios