So my adventure begins...

NOFX

Well not quite... but a major hurdle was crossed which makes it almost official. I just handed in my resignation at work. I gave them a 5 week heads up and my last day is March 21st. I've been employed by this company for 9 years. My life has pretty much been devoted to an office job, staring at code from 9-5 every weekday since I was 23.

I've been skeptical to talk about my plans because I figured something would come up, but it now looks like everything is good to go. I'm canceling the lease on my apartment, throwing a few things in storage, getting a friend to drop me off at Springer Mountain Gerogia and I'll start heading north on the Appalachian Trail during the last week of March. So that means I'll pretty much be MIA from the servers all Spring and Summer, but I'll definitely be dropping by the forums while I'm AFK. Life is too short to get stuck doing one thing. My bag packed and ready to go. I can almost taste the freedom that is waiting for me.

Edited by NOFX
  • Like 1

Well.. I do have a little over a month before I take off, so I'm not disappearing just yet. I'm trying to decide now if I want to start an online journal of the whole thing, either way.. I'll definitely be stopping by and sharing some stories and pictures. I'd say my chances of death are somewhere around slim to none. Aside from a stretch in Maine, you are never really more than a day or so walk to civilization.

Heck yes! Pictures or it didn't happen. Best of luck, and hopefully the skies are kind to you. Enjoy!

Might I suggest an Osprey pack? I used mine all over Oregon Coasts and loved it. It has never failed me.

Long time no see Jiffy. Osprey makes solid packs, but I've been gearing up for years. I'll be using a ULA Circuit

• Like 1

Good Luck in your Appalachian trail trek.

Something i wanted to do when i was younger but never did.

I would recommend getting the maps. Make sure you have plenty of water.

Im not to far from Blue Mountain in Pa . The trail passes over the NE extension of the PA turnpike. The trail crosses Pa 309 at the top of the mountain

Ive been up there many a times in the younger days

If you need supplies , holler

Enjoy your walk NoFX. Take the maps and a first aid kit for sure!

Don't forget a little fishing line with a hook.

Edit/ Almost forgot - make sure you drop that ring in the lava at the end of the journey!

Edited by Lookback

Here's my cold weather setup that I'm starting out with

Aqa6DLql.jpg

TOP ROW

Top left bag - 30 degree down sleeping bag

Green bag - 15 degree down underquilt for the hammock

Grey Bag - A down jacket packed into its pocket

Blue bag - extra socks, beanie, gloves

Orange bag - Wool base layers and very thick socks (This is for camp/sleeping only)

Small Black bag - Water filter and plastic water bottles

Small Blue Bag and gray bag - Rain Jacket and Pack cover + trekking poles.

NEXT ROW

Whiteish/Green bag - Its an 8x11 cuben fiber tarp with doors.. Only weights about 6.5 ounces.

Dark green bag - My hammock + tree straps

Tent stakes, bug net, pillow and the orange bag is toothbrush, advil, bandaids, soap, etc...

Orange bag is my pot + stove, fuel and spoon

Next is just a guide book, headlamp, a very small leatherman, very small towel and the last blue bag is electronics. 2 usb cables, wall charger and camera charger

Things not in the picture are a small camera, phone, my food bag and 3 liter water bladder for camp.

When it warms up I'll be able send back the sleeping bag, underquilt, base layers and I'll get someone to send me my 40 degree quilt.

One month and one week left to go until my last day of work....

Edited by NOFX

JCVP26ql.jpg

Shoes are Brooks Cascadia.. As far as the trekking poles go, I'll probably just be bringing one. As for rain pants... I've heard they suck and most people toss them. I've read rain kilts work pretty good though.. may try to make one before I go

Edited by NOFX

First of all, I'm extremely jealous. I have both the AT as well as the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) on my bucket list. Rain pants are definitely a great thing to have, if it's drenching out you're gonna want that extra layer on so you're still dry when you make it to your camp site. Also as far as the wool layers go, did you spend the big bucks and get Icebreaker? That stuff is top notch.

I went with Minus33 instead of Icebreaker or smart wool. Still expensive stuff and great quality. I discovered merino wool socks about 3 years ago and I haven't owned a pair of cotton socks since. Actually my first pair of merino wool socks finally bit the dust a few months ago.. which means they lasted 3 years.

There is absolutely no way I could go back to synthetics now. I have midweight bottom and top, a lightweight top and light T-Shirt. Granted I wasn't out hiking or sweating alot, but I wore that shirt for about 2 weeks straight without cleaning it and it had no funky smell at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to this. 8 more days of work, a week off of work and then I'll be flying down to Atlanta on the 28th. I'll be hitting the trail first thing on Saturday the 29th. Oh yea. Work offered me a 6 month leave of absence. So it looks like I have health insurance and job to come back to... if I want to come back.

• Like 1