So my adventure begins...

NOFX

(edited)

Good timing with the last post Sam.. About 3-4 weeks ago, I was approached by my bosses boss.. He was approached by his boss who told him to ask me if I would be interested in doing a leave of absence. Now with 4 days left before I leave, that guys boss denied it. There is a huge disconnect between corporate squeezing nickles and what is actually going on. I've worked for the company for 9 years and it's going to cost the company way more money in the long run. They are going to hire "a consultant" for $200 an hour (my boss told me). So perhaps, I will come back and be a consultant for them as well. It affects me in no way, but they should not have offered it to me and then deny it right before I leave. I'm going to go out of my way to try and never again work full time for a 40,000+ employee corporation.

Edited by NOFX

That sucks Nofx.

I had a similar experience a few years ago. I was an international process engineer for the biggest magnesium producers of automotive parts in the world. I spent a few years in China, 10 months in Mexico, and to the Uk and Italy off and on for months at a time. Pretty much 5 years of being shipped around the globe it seemed. So with that said I made a lot of personal sacrifices living abroad as an ex patriot. I come back and wanted to take 3 months of leave of absence, at first they said yeah then.at the last minute they said no. And I basically said F off The reason for the three month LOA was to get back in touch with my family, go on a fishing trips with my friends.

I admire what you are doing and you should have no worries. I'm very happy with the small company I'm with now.

• Like 2

So everyone has asked me about setting up a blog, etc.. I'm on the fence, I'd like to give some shout outs, updates, etc.. but not sure what platform I should check out.

Having never used twitter, I set up an account and made my first twit.. I like the idea of 140 characters max.. Keeps it short and simple and I can post pics.

Do you guys have any recommendations on something else? I really don't want to spam everyone on facebook

Depends what you're looking for.

Twitter - great to keep friends and family up to date on your location (and safety). If you use it just for this purpose, mark it as a private account and only approve people you trust follow it. Probably not a great idea to say "I'm at MM43 on APC" on a public account unless you're into the whole Deliverance thing.

Tumblr - great for longer form posts ("the week in NOFX"). It gives you a unique email address that you can send posts to and have it automagically publish posts. Supports image attachments and video embeds, plus gives you more than 140 characters to work with.

whiteblazedown.tumblr.com Just sort of getting started with setting it up. Still not sure I'm going to be updating it on the regular, but it's there and I'm sort of diggin it.

I also may be swinging by here from time to time.. One more day of work after this and it'll be time to get the last few things together. Flying out a week from tomorrow.

(edited)

I have a CCW and a S&W .380, its near the top on my list of "things I'm not bringing". I feel safer out on the trail than I do with all you crazies in the city.

Edited by NOFX

(edited)

Make sure you take a before/after pic of your cubicle to start things off!!! That way you can look at it then you have one of those nasty, cold, rainy mornings in the field.

I took a picture of my cubicle so that when it's cold, rainy and hail is coming down sideways, I can remind myself that at least I'm not sitting in that cube....

Edited by NOFX
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

340 miles in... so far so good. Ive spent way too much mobey to begin with, but it seens to be stabilizing now. Just food and hostels from here on out. Some days I think I'd rather be playing CS in a nice warm and dry office chair.

I got a few pics up on whiteblazedown.tumblr.com. its takes about three weeks before your body eve n gets used to it. You wouldn't believe how much food I am putting down either.