Well Its about time

Tirtul

I am finally going to get a decent computer and Chick will also be getting a new one as well. Though if anyone has any great build or part ideas I would love all the help I can get. I have a budget between $2000-$4000. I am looking for the best bang for the buck so doesn't have to max out that budget and that is per computer so up to $8000 for the pair. Both myself and chick have such awful comps that is isnt worth trying to upgrade so just needing to build from the ground up. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

I have a 2-2.5k computer build around an i5-4670k with R9 290X Card and MSI Gaming motherboard. If you are interested in looking into that type of set-up I can definitely post a parts list and you can change what ever you want.

Suggestion

mobo: ASUS brand

>chipset: if Intel, go for X79 for LGA 2011 or Z87 for LGA 1150

cpu: if intel, go for LGA 2011 or LGA 1150. Based on statistic on Intel marketing, LGA 1155 will be discontinued next year, LGA 1150 will be discontinued 2016, and LGA 2011 will be discontinued by 2018. Use this as a guideline so you know if you cpu will be discontinue soon

AMD is cheaper, but not as good of a performance than Intel. Intel is built for everything. I don't use AMD cpu so I can't give you suggestion on that

cpu cooler: If intel, go aftermarket cpu cooler like Corsair H60 (cheap and great performace) or Hyper 212 plus is great since Intel cpu (i5 or i7) tends to get hot really quick

ram: Corsair DDR3 8GB should be enough for gaming. If you use virtual machine like VMware, go for 16GB.

Video card: Market price always changes, but for now, I say go for Nvidia card. AMD is very good, but due to bitcoin, everyone is buying AMD card for bitcoin mining, so price has jump super high. For example, I bought Asus R9 280X card for $309 USD when it was new and it has jumped to $600 USD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121803).

Use this link as reference: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

SSD: If you want, 120GB Intel, Samsung, or Corsair should be enough for OS and any other software. Games will need to be installed on a secondary drive

> Intel - Most reliable

>Samsung - Fastest

>Corsair - great, not best

Optical drive: If you don't mind, I say get blu-ray since it is a matter of time before all media will be released on blu-ray. However, dvd is always good.

Chassis: mid-tower or full-tower, but note cpu cooler like Hyper 212 Plus might not fit in a mid-tower chassis

Edited by Protomanx13

Here is my suggested build.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

This case is a great for air or water cooling. It is a full atx case so it will pretty much fit anything. My second choice would be a Rosewill Thor V2

Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA 1150

I have used this motherboard in a few other boards and never any complaints. Fast board with great capabilities especially when paired with a MSI video card. The onboard sound is great and the networking card is amazing. The OC Genie is also a major plus for amateur overclockers if you decide to go that route. All around amazing motherboard with a company that will stand behind its product.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K

This is always my first choice when going with an LGA 1150 build. Pretty much speaks for itself.

CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i

Even though it has a higher price tag than the H60. I much prefer the dual fans when it comes to water cooling especially when I want low temps throughout my case. Again if you plan to do some heavy overclocking go with the H100i for even better cooling.

Graphics: MSI Radeon R9 290X

I would only suggest if your budget allows it and you know how to properly overclock for the best performance.

OR

MSI GTX 780Ti

Again if you don't plan on over clocking your GPU too much the 780Ti is the way to go even though the 290X is faster and has a higher memory size and interface.

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)

Since the i5 series is only a dual channel and not a quad channel like the i7. Two sticks is all you need. I chose two 8GB because you will almost never need to size up from that. Plus if you do you aren't limited to going to 16GB but instead you can goto 32GB by just getting two more.

SSD: 2x SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB

HDD: WD BLACK SERIES 3TB

PSU: CORSAIR RM Series RM850 850W

This power supply will give you everything you need. Full Modular!

Cost with 290X: Subtotal $2,182.90

Cost with 780Ti: Subtotal $1,992.90

I know I didn't put a media drive but that is for you to choose. I don't know if you want to play blu-ray or not. But, I am sure you can handle that part yourself.

Edited by MaRvIn

I am finally going to get a decent computer and Chick will also be getting a new one as well. Though if anyone has any great build or part ideas I would love all the help I can get. I have a budget between $2000-$4000. I am looking for the best bang for the buck so doesn't have to max out that budget and that is per computer so up to $8000 for the pair. Both myself and chick have such awful comps that is isnt worth trying to upgrade so just needing to build from the ground up. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

You have a huge budget. You could seriously build a PC for between $1000 and $1500 that sounds like it will blow what you currently have out of the water. I'm looking into this as well.

I agree with Samurai, unless you are trying to bulletproof your build for future upgrades (which has never really worked for me since the PC market changes so quickly) or push the envelope for the next month in graphics and processor technology, I would say look for the value buys in each option and be happy. Some of the extra budget could then be used for some niceties like a sweet keyboard/mouse or a better/second monitor.

This place always has decent AMD/Mobo combo buys if you are going with AMD: http://www.microcenter.com/site/products/amd_bundles.aspx

Also, I would at least do an SSD for your main partition of windows and programs. The one I got at work was a huuuuge boost and well worth it vs the last couple mhz in a processor.

Edited by farberio

Hyper 212 plus is great

Agreed.

I run a Phenom II X4 965 Black with a 3.4 GHz core speed, overclocked it to 4.2 GHz with just the Hyper 212 and my 3 case fans and it only ran around 2C hotter. I have a $50 mid-tower.

Looks like they updated the case with USB 3.0 in the front.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147060

unless you are trying to bulletproof your build for future upgrades (which has never really worked for me since the PC market changes so quickly)

Agreed. My suggestion is get a great cpu and mobo, thus you won't have to upgrade them in the future. With every new generation of CPU, there are a high possibility that the newer cpu will not be compatible with your mobo. The socket always changes and even if not, the chipset might not be compatible with the newer cpu.

welp was looking and I think I found myself a setup that I like though still gonna post it so you can give me your thoughts

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2XPja

the keyboard and sound card are only for my comp as chick doesn't need or want either and I have a nice headset that could greatly benefit from the sound card, thus the expense there hehe

Wasn't sure about the OS so just picked windows 8.1 pro (64 bit) but that one is easily changed

only worries atm are the ram note from the partpicker (though I dont think it will be a problem) and the GPU cooling

Edited by Tirtul

i wouldn't worry too much about cooling the GPU, you have 4 fans in the case that will basically be dedicated to extracting the GPU heat since you are moving the heat from the CPU to outside the case. The RAM will adjust itself to run fine but it may not be as fast as you bought (ie, you can look to step down the speed for extra ram). If you aren't going to touch the build for awhile I would maximize the RAM now as that's arguably the best bang for the buck.

If you look into the motherboard it has great on-board sound. I know first hand on the G45 and this is the upgraded version of it.

AUDIO BOOST

Reward your ears with true quality. Get ready for ear-drum-shattering sound, with MSI Audio Boost! Audio Boost enables the highest audio quality so you can enjoy crystal clear sound and music in games. Because the complete audio circuitry is isolated from other features, you'll enjoy less interference and more stability. The built-in headphone amplifier allows you to use studio-grade headgear and get the most amazing sound quality out of your gaming PC.

• Studio-level integrated 600Ω headphone amplifier
  • Golden audio jacks for pure audio signals
  • EMI-shielded audio codec
  • High-quality audio capacitors
  • Illuminated audio PCB separation

TOP QUALITY AUDIO WITH SOUND BLASTER CINEMA
Hear your enemies perfectly, even on an ear-drum-shattering battlefield. Thanks to Sound Blaster Cinema, you're getting amazing surround sound with just stereo headphones. Your most important gaming sound effects are reproduced crystal clear allowing you to focus on your game even during extremely long gaming sessions.Powered by the SBX Pro Studio technologies, Sound Blaster Cinema enables you to clearly hear specific sounds in gaming environments, making your ears a decisive tool on the battlefield.

good to know, I may hold off on the sound card and if the sound is not as good as you say I can always pick it up later. As for the ram, I prolly could get more ram but would I truly need 32GB I think the 16 would be more than enough and that could be an up-gradable part down the road if I really need more.

In my humble opinion, your dollar spent to performance ratio is way too expensive. You should be able to upgrade an existing computer that will have comparable performance for well under $1000. Aside from the video card, I dropped $400 on an I5, mobo and RAM.

Water cooled? Are you planning on pushing the processor as far as you can? A solid air cooled CPU fan has been one of the best investments I ever made. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Also, only a 23" in monitor? If I was gonna drop 2.6k on a computer, I'd have a beast monitor. I was using a 23" CRT back in 2002. I switched to a 28" LCD in 2007-2008 and have recently been running with a 42" TV. I couldn't imagine gaming on anything smaller than the 28".

To me, it's like dropping a 5.2L V8 in a mustang and then only buying 13" half bald tires. A big screen + mid range video card > small screen + top of the line card.

I would also highly suggest if you are going to be doing a lot of overclocking and gaming. To not use windows 8 and stick to windows 7. I have very little use with 8 but from what I have seen and done 7 is definitely better for an avid gamer.

As for the monitor I would suggest at least 27'' @ 120Hz