Moving to Chicagoland

Bush

I don't post much here anymore, nor do I game much these days.

However I know some of the veterans here live or have lived in Chicagoland.

Recently I have accepted a position in the Chicago area, more specifically the Franklin Park area which is by OHare. I have friends that live in the Lincoln Park area and they suggested that I should look at the Logan Square area and commute.

Let me know your thoughts..

As long as you live close by "L" Blue line you're fine. Logan square is ok area, Lincoln park is better and more expensive. Public transport sometimes is better and cheaper than driving a car. But if you already have a car it doesn't matter.

And hey, Welcome to Chicago'nois

Edited by walkingCat

And hey, Welcome to Chicago'nois Chiraq

FTFY

Will you have a car? Have you ruled out living in Franklin Park? Do you have any other friends living in the area?

I like Logan Square and Lincoln Park, but the bigger the city, the longer it takes to get around. If you can, try to live near where you're going to be spending most of your time.

And hey, Welcome to Chicago'nois Chiraq

FTFY

Will you have a car? Have you ruled out living in Franklin Park? Do you have any other friends living in the area?

I like Logan Square and Lincoln Park, but the bigger the city, the longer it takes to get around. If you can, try to live near where you're going to be spending most of your time. And

And?..

You are getting a lot of good suggestions - don't listen to sj - we kicked him out.

Coming from someone who lives downtown and has to occasionally commute to the 'burbs for work - don't do it. That rules out lincoln park. Assuming you can get from the Rosemont blue line stop to your place of work (via bus), anywhere along the blue line (that's been mentioned) would be a good move. I'd also consider the west side of Bucktown and Wicker Park. If you really want to live downtown - River North or West loop would be your best option - and only a quick walk to a metra which could put you in Franklin Park.

Depending on your life style - I would actually agree with SJ though - live close to where you work and suck it up to commute downtown when you want to enjoy the city.

• Like 1

I know very little about the O'hare area but it doesn't seem like there's a lot going on over there. Also it's still important what kind of transportation you're thinking of taking. The thing about the El is that like a lot of pubic transportation systems it's very spoksey, meaning that certain areas you have to take a bus to get back and forth between. Bucktown and Wicker park are both fun areas.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. My cousin has lived in Lincoln park for 16 years and in the late 90's, early 2000's, and recently. I like that area, Logan Square and Bucktown. I've hung out in all of those area's at some point in time.

From Logan Square a lot of the apartments I'm looking at are very close the blue line. I can take a bus from Rosemont but the stop is about 1/3 or a mile from my work, which currently the side walk is covered in snow. And with this pass winter being the way it was I'll pass on that walk. Fullerton turns into Grand, and Grand runs by my work, however I've already been down that way on a Friday and no thanks.

It would be ideal if I could find some place by Rosemont to park my vehicle. It would also be nice to have a vehicle at work so I can run errands on lunch breaks ect.. Plus I have to commute to another division which is 15 miles away from time to time.

I would love to live closer to downtown I like that life style better than the burbs, but I could always drive to Rosemont or take a cab to hop on the L. Plus my work load is going to be pretty high for the first 6 months to a year, so I'm leaning towards the burbs Des Plaines for example.

Niles, Park Ridge, Des Plaines, they are all cool areas. Since you have your car, then it's pointless to rent an apartment in the city. So yeah, finding something close to your office is a better option.

When is a warm-up party? :)

Don't move to the suburbs. You'll miss out on how great a city of a city Chicago is if you don't live in it and get to experience it every day.

• 3 weeks later...

How old are you? Single / married? What is your definition of a fun night out? Do you have friends in the city already you would want to hang out with?

The city really is a collection of different neighborhoods, so if you tell us more about what you enjoy, I think we can tell you where you can find that.

Also, the city > burbs. Just come take the burbs job for a while until you find a better one down town :)

(edited)

I just turned 40. Single, my definition of a fun night out would be to hang out with friends at a local bar or a good restaurant, and maybe a movie or a concert and so on.

Tomato (skimmer), as stated earlier my cousin whom I'm very close with lives and has lived in Lincoln Park for 16 years. We are very close grew up together, graduated from High School together. I spent a lot of time in Chicago Land in the mid 90's and early 00's. Now with that said I also am friends with his friends that he has networked with over the years whom live in Buck Town, Logan Square, Lincoln Park, Avondale, ect..

Thanks to SJ and Mohawk for changing my thought process and Walking Cat for suggestions for the burbs along with Allanon stating I should live closer to down town.

I've decided that Logan Square is my destination of choice.

But I'm still open, I haven't signed a lease yet!

edit: forgot to mention Mohawk..

Edited by Bush

If you do look at Irving Park, stay closer to Western than Cicero. That puts you further from the Blue Line, but closer to the nice parts.

How's the apartment hunt going? When I moved there, the market was insanely competitive. It was rare to view an apartment and be the only person there. I had a couple places get rented before I could get back to the car and get my checkbook. I ended up using Chicago Apartment Finders. They're worse than the most terrible used car salesman, but they got me into a place. Just go into it expecting a high pressure conman showing you places. You could try Padmapper (or Craigslist), but the number of fake posts will drive you insane.

Due to that, I wouldn't limit yourself to one specific neighborhood unless you've got plenty of time on your side.

I'm jealous. I miss Chicago. Have fun over there!

If you do get held up just give them what they want. Chances are they aren't alone and if you do something dumb like pull out a gun you could get lit up.

I've never been held up, got punched once but thats it. Just be smart about where you are, don't walk around shady neighborhoods past dark. Always be aware of whats around you.