Moving to Chicagoland

Bush

Thanks SJ, I had been using an app called zoost but in the end it just lead me to Chicago apartment finders. Which is fine the whole used car dealership approach turned me off at first, but I put them in the place where I wanted them. Gave them metrics on what I want so it's working out. I'm not in a hurry to find a place, The company I work for has been impressed with what I've done and they don't care how long I live in the suite I live in at the moment (they are paying for it). But as I said earlier I'm open.

Preacher I have the (FOID) paper work, but I need a drivers licence first, which means I need a residence.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't you might want to look at the west loop. I lived in an apartment there for a year before I bought my condo and loved it (in fact I'm looking at moving back). It's really close to the highway if you are planning on driving, as well as the metra if that ends up working out.

It can be a bit noisy if you are not used to city living, but it never bothered me.

• 2 months later...

You are getting a lot of good suggestions - don't listen to sj - we kicked him out.

Coming from someone who lives downtown and has to occasionally commute to the 'burbs for work - don't do it. That rules out lincoln park. Assuming you can get from the Rosemont blue line stop to your place of work (via bus), anywhere along the blue line (that's been mentioned) would be a good move. I'd also consider the west side of Bucktown and Wicker Park. If you really want to live downtown - River North or West loop would be your best option - and only a quick walk to a metra which could put you in Franklin Park.

Depending on your life style - I would actually agree with SJ though - live close to where you work and suck it up to commute downtown when you want to enjoy the city.

Assuming you want to ignore mohawks sound advice and commute to the suburbs from the city....I am looking at bucktownish and ravenswoodish and will commute to Elmhurst (right off 294).

I have been warned that living east of the river is an extra level of headache when commuting to the suburbs but I like the slightly quieter area of ravenswood vs bucktown. Has anyone lived in that area and commuted to the suburbs and can advise if it is terrible from that area?

I had an office in Ravenswood and occasionally had to leave the city to meet clients. If you're driving, those surface streets to Edens/94 take a lot longer than you'd expect. Never took the Metra or CTA out there, though.

Yeah, that's my fear. I am willing to get into work early to avoid traffic but I bet I will normally be late on my way back to the city. Its the extra time off the highway that feels like it will be break for 'can live my life/hate my life."

1hr commute is about my max before I will go crazy, I know Friday's back into the city will be beyond that though.