Too easy = no fun

shaftiel

(edited)

You start with some of the best weapons on the server, ammo, clothes, food, large first aid kits, shelter and a door. Mobs drop insane amounts of metal building material, armor, equipment. Chests drop tons of great equipment. It removes all the joy of finding things, and being able to scrounge around and find enough materials to build. Everyone has built these monolithic structures, giant fortifications, without any real time or effort.

I'm just not enjoying it. Its just too easy.

Shaftiel

Edited by shaftiel

Told Marvin this the other day. He didn't believe me. All of his tweaks basically destroyed the whole point of the game, which is to start off with nothing and work your way up. Imagine if we did that with minecraft and gave everyone creative mode....oh wait ya that did happen for a bit....then look what happened. People started quitting because you ruin the basic premise of the game.

umm........thats because you've not played in 90 other people @ the same time. Its craziness. And when you play with 90 some other people dont try to build a out of the way base. Build your castle on the road right outside a town like, Me, San' Marvin, Yoshi,Limit, lunk, Slim,Killerj, and Mr Mustard do.

You have NO idea how much different the game play will be when you have a full server. ANd your base will not last for days.........it will get wrecked by intruders or wiped forcing you to constantly build and fight while doing so. It ain't EZ @ all

Yeah, its a struggle. If resources are scarce you will need to find allies, join groups, create a societal framework in order to survive. Its suppose to be a post apocalyptic world. Not a place where 500 bullets, 12 metal ceilings, 5 metal foundations, and 30 metal pillars crawl out of a bears butt.

Shaftiel

(edited)

We are pushing for an all PVP sever and so everything gets dropped. Although I have been tweaking it quite a lot. There is still much more work on evening everything I can. The server we play still changes all the time on what drops where and how much. Right now since our server gets no traffic it doesn't make sense to anyone who joins and is completely understandable. Turnbull has had great ideas with getting people on the server and we will push them out soon. But for the time being it is going to be mainly empty and nothing will be wiped so experiment with stuff. I have changed a lot about the drops and will be changing the starting kit.

Edited by MaRvIn

I am not trying to criticize you are belittle all the work you have put in Marvin. I understand that you want a PvP server, my only question is why do we need the server to be so easy in regards to acquiring materials, weapons, armor.... well everything?

Shaftiel

I know you weren't trying to do any of that. Apologies on my part if I came off in any wrong way.

We are shooting for a PVP/Mass Loot. Meaning shoot everyone on sight and crates and animals drops good loot. When I first set loot I did it all wrong so it was really unbalanced.

In regards to armor and weapons. People can only get Kevlar now from airdrops and rad armor from red animals. No longer will you spawn with and M4 and Bolt Action. Instead, the starting weapons are the MP5 and P250.

The gameplay on the server isn't going to be to resource and survive. It is going to be a mass amount of people shooting each other. Trying to build a quick base in a high traffic area to get more kills.

My suggestion would be to hop on a server similar and see how they play and it will make a lot more sense.

We had vanilla for two months and it never gained any ground. That's why we all started playing on the mass loot / pvp server.

Once we saw the popularity and fun of the full server, we opted to move ours in that direction since it was sitting empty.

I see both ways. I've been playing on vanilla and of course the pvp. The pvp server stays full more and the vanilla servers go up and down drastically. Sometimes the vanilla looses people all together and never recovers. An active PVP server has people on it all the time. I like the direction we're going and can't wait until it's done. I do however like the idea as well of the metal bases being harder to construct. With a PVP server people need to start off with enough to defend themselves and build on that.

I have thought about making metal building supplies not drop but instead wood and people will have to try and resource if they want to build a metal base. Although metal ore and fragments would still drop on occasion from red animals(not too much). Any and all suggestions and thoughts are great.

It's hard to get a vanilla server going, and it seems the key is to have admins on all day, to ban hackers and appease whiners. But it's a lot of fun when there's like 40 other people and you need to work with your friends to even get a 1x1 wood base started. Then it starts to grow and you start raiding. I dunno the massive pvp server seems boring to me as well.

I like the idea of no metal base parts dropping from animals or in crates. They should only be in supply drops where you would have to research and resource to be able to build a good metal base. I'm not sure how the loot tables work, but if it were only a random piece of metal building, and a chance of c4/grenade/Kevlar it would add a bit of difficulty. Having the starting MP5 and being able to loot MP4s, ammo, med kits, food, and lesser armor from the crates/animals would keep a PvP feel and allow starting players a place to farm some gear without making the game too easy. There has to be a reason people raid bases to get peeps gear otherwise people just build bases nobody wants to expend the energy to raid because it's easier to get the stuff from animals and crates. My $.02

The loot tables are very touchy, I'm still learning exactly how they work and what values are best for each so nothing gets dropped too much.

As for metal building supplies I might try having it so only one of each has a chance to drop so people can research them and build from there.

I am keeping Kevlar to only air drops and rad to only red animals. The crates are going to drop different items as I organize it more.