MC server is offline.

walkingCat

I think I have it straightened out, there was a couple of red stone machines running rampant causing the CPU usage to go haywire, after so much the server was shut down. its up and running again and should hopefully be working again. I will keep my eye out in case there is any other causes for additional load on the server.

Just as a heads up. Our MC server is *not* on one of our virtual dedicated game servers. It's just a regular old shared game server with NFO. That means when things go nuts we're impacting everyone else's MC server on the machine.

I upped us to a larger head count to better fend off Fatty's horde - that just means more memory mainly. That's good for another month or so.

If y'all want I'm more than willing to look at sticking this on it's very own VPS/VDS server if you think that would help.

• Like 1

with some further review it looks like bigger bases, mine as well as a couple others that have a lot of farms in a small area seem to also hamper the server, I have moved my base into parts in order to alleviate stress from my end and I may need to relocate a few other parts of peoples bases depending on the toll they present to the server. with just a couple people on there isn't much issue but with 12 people and a bunch of farms all running at the same time, the server doesn't like that :P

That's odd had a lot of people on yesterday with no issues at all and I was doing just fine later in the evening.

Who all was on at the time (I know I was afk at my iron island) there might still be a need to move some additional structures if they are causing problems.

Also while putting the old world as creative has used additional resources it wasn't until some of the larger entity areas were loaded that we truly had issues. As mentioned I moved everything of mine to ease load, I will look into other bases to see if they are also causing extra strain and move parts of them if needed.

I understand the work you put into solve the issue, Tirtul. We appreciate it.

Then was me and you (afk). Tolgewood joined and it began to lag like crazy. I immediately checked my Internet connection, it was fine. So I told Tolgewood that whatever he is running at his base needs to be stopped. Well, really I blam the guy and he left. The problem didn't resolved until I reconnected. I kinda feel sorry for going hard on the guy. Anyway, lagging continues later, and I quit for good. I was away from my farm, just mining at my Hole.

Whatever is happening has nothing to do with entities or Redstone clocks. Gotta be something else.

Dunno what to say, I have no access to the data readings.

I have to say that I am honestly quite annoyed at present, I feel like there is a witch hunt on the server and that myself and TolgeWood are being blamed for every hiccup or lag spike on the server.

First it was blaming our chicken farms, regardless of it running fine sometimes when they were active (Whether just us or a handful of other people on) and really laggy twitchy sometimes when they were completely disabled with the chickens killed off. Now there are multiple things being blamed, from having some livestock to having 2 monster spawners to having farms near our bases. I would like to point out that ALL of those things precede the server's issues by a couple of weeks.

There is one thing that was changed the day that the problems began and that is the creative world was split off. Honestly, has no one stopped to think that is FAR more likely to be the cause of the issues than anything else? It is twice as much load on the server rendering a whole second world.

I feel it is really unfair to TolgeWood, and myself to be blamed for everything to the point that we are basically not allowed to play the game as we want in what I consider a normal and reasonable fashion, we have shut down machines to help isolate a root cause, then blame just shifted to other things in our shpere of play. Now we are being asked to move our bases all over the place, my girlfriend told me that Tirtul killed all my cows and sheep off and wants to move our farms 200 blocks from our home bases, which will make them useless since they will not load and crops nor animals will grow from what I understand of the game chunk loading mechanics.

I appreciate the work that goes into running a server, I am just annoyed that I feel like a scapegoat for what by all appearances is something cause by doubling the worlds on the server. If I am failing to understand something please let me know, I just want to be able to play a game normally within the designed mechanics without being told how to have fun.

Thanks,

Camarth

Zrtmiles, from what I understand the chunks around the "world spawn" point will never unload. That being said, if you have a ton of crap in there (chickens, cows, redstone, whatever) then even when you are offline and people are far away, they will cause the server to lag.

So, if you happen to be near the world spawn, there's a very good reason for Tirtul having moved your stuff. I'm sorry that it had to happen, but it's for the benefit of everybody that plays here.

(edited)

I have tried to explain this multiple times and for some reason the point seems to keep getting missed, I am not just looking at your base Zrtmiles. I have move my own base, splitting it up into 5 different bases over 200 blocks away. I have killed off animals at my own farms, chicks farms, cats farms and another sheep farm, so yours is not the only one. I understand that you would like to have everything in the same area as that is how minecraft chunks work. the issue is that there are so many things in such a small area that the resources on the server are being used up on that area. I was able to virtually crash a server by my self with about 500 animals and a small redstone clock and that server was mob free and only have 2 people on it. the issue with some of your farms is also that tolge is on literally 24/7 so you might as well have built in the spawn chunks. this effects the server for everyone, and without an admin on to kick an afk, if it does start getting laggy nobody can do anything about it. I do understand that the multiverse has also put strain on the server, but the strain from that is mostly on the ram as opposed to the cpu. the entity count has a direct effect on the cpu and thus is the problem. I have been moving everyone and have been limiting the farms on a server in a given area to help ease the load on the server so that when multiple people are on they too can enjoy the server. when I killed your cows, you had 2 mob spawners, and iron farm, around 50 sheep 50 chickens and close to 200 cows in just simple entities reaching up to around 600 in total. So again I am not singling you out I am just trying to make the server as playable as possible for everyone.

Also with the moves, I am trying to make it as easy as possible, I will contruct simple structures and even respawn the animals in the other location. I kept all the items from the killed animals in chests for you and have respawned the animals in the new location as well as constructed a simple pen and lit the area.

Edited by Tirtul

I have to say that I am honestly quite annoyed at present, I feel like there is a witch hunt on the server and that myself and TolgeWood are being blamed for every hiccup or lag spike on the server.

Thanks,

Camarth

You are not the only person. I have over 500 item frames that actually count as entities not 1 but 2. And I LOVE Item frames. But I've had to go in and remove a bunch of mine. I've also had my barn move to another part of my island. You guys aren't the only ones who have to move stuff or space it out. In a perfect world we could have things on top of things. But it just doesn't work like that. Also, I'm grateful that Tirtul is at least trying to make it run as smooth as possible. I've seen your guys base it's big, and I'm sure with time it will only get bigger. There will come a point that you can't just afk and have everything work all the time all at once, or have your animals grow ect.

There are a lot of big servers and small that limit the number of things you can have at one time or in one area. San use to breed his cows, and we would lag the server and that was just cows, with no other animals or farms.

First it was blaming our chicken farms, regardless of it running fine sometimes when they were active (Whether just us or a handful of other people on) and really laggy twitchy sometimes when they were completely disabled with the chickens killed off. Now there are multiple things being blamed, from having some livestock to having 2 monster spawners to having farms near our bases. I would like to point out that ALL of those things precede the server's issues by a couple of weeks.

There is one thing that was changed the day that the problems began and that is the creative world was split off. Honestly, has no one stopped to think that is FAR more likely to be the cause of the issues than anything else? It is twice as much load on the server rendering a whole second world.

I feel it is really unfair to TolgeWood, and myself to be blamed for everything to the point that we are basically not allowed to play the game as we want in what I consider a normal and reasonable fashion, we have shut down machines to help isolate a root cause, then blame just shifted to other things in our shpere of play. Now we are being asked to move our bases all over the place, my girlfriend told me that Tirtul killed all my cows and sheep off and wants to move our farms 200 blocks from our home bases, which will make them useless since they will not load and crops nor animals will grow from what I understand of the game chunk loading mechanics.

I appreciate the work that goes into running a server, I am just annoyed that I feel like a scapegoat for what by all appearances is something cause by doubling the worlds on the server. If I am failing to understand something please let me know, I just want to be able to play a game normally within the designed mechanics without being told how to have fun.

Thanks,

Camarth

I'm sorry for not explaining this things better. We are not on a witch hunt and you're not the one to be blamed. It is not VDS. FlitterKill is working on bringing us a new better server for MC. There is the post. Tirtul is transfering worlds.

You guys are stuck with me a while longer...job interview was a bust. So still a LOT of free time. Was in process of getting critters squared away when I ran out of steam last night. Thanks Tirtle for spawning some instead of making me be Noah and drag them over 2x2. Now I just need to figure out how to get grass to grow on the dirt. :biggrinjester:

You guys are stuck with me a while longer...job interview was a bust. So still a LOT of free time. Was in process of getting critters squared away when I ran out of steam last night. Thanks Tirtle for spawning some instead of making me be Noah and drag them over 2x2. Now I just need to figure out how to get grass to grow on the dirt. :biggrinjester:

Make a line of dirt from existing grass. It'll spread.

Happy thoughts all. New server is online. DNS should have changed, etc.

NOTES:

Name in the MC browser might still be test server - that'll change.

At least one mod is broke. Tirtul just needs to patch it or get us back to production Bukkit instead of beta.

Dynmap is back as well *but* it's gotta rebuild from scratch. Gonna be a while.

I have tracked the problem down... to either DynMap or the MultiWorld plugin.

Both are now disabled - been in-game myself for 15 minutes now, no lag chat, flying around, poking things. All good.

Server is ready and waiting for your Minecraftings.

Leaning towards Multi-world being the culprit overall - it'll get fixed asap but gonna bring Tirtul in first before doing anything else.

In the meantime, craft away!