Operating System not Found

I came across a Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop recently in a garbage dumpster at my workplace. It turns on just fine but then this pops up when I try and proceed....

post-5094-0-98625700-1399173396_thumb.jpeg

post-5094-0-17208400-1399173428_thumb.jpeg

I have tried repeated spamming the f12 and f8 keys upon start up but when I spam the f8 key, I get some beeping after the screen and then it returns to the normal Operating System Not Found crap....

Anyone have any ideas what I might be able to do?

Get to BIOS on Dells from F2. Check the boot sequence. It sounds as if a format was done? That's a late 98 early XP system; so I wouldn't invest anything other than a little time. When you get to BIOS have it set to boot from DVD and try installing an OS. Good luck.

Get to BIOS on Dells from F2. Check the boot sequence. It sounds as if a format was done? That's a late 98 early XP system; so I wouldn't invest anything other than a little time. When you get to BIOS have it set to boot from DVD and try installing an OS. Good luck.

So what you are saying is its rather worthless? Trying to install windows 7 would be futile correct?

I did try that though, I put in windows 7 and got it to boot from the CD, or at least changed the priority to, and it still ended up with Operating System Not Found when I inserted windows 7.

Although my mistake is probably that I am trying to do windows 7.