CEVO/Gamebanana Mapping contest 2014

turnbullTeRRoR

Well I got  both  de_canyon2 and de_dashtimargo_cc entered as of last monday.  Lots of thanks to Marvin  and GC as a whole for the time to play and test both maps!

The Judges have started looking over the maps  and one has been streaming and  alot of the maps they just been glossing over.    de_dashtimargo_cc  got a pretty good look though.  Around 10 mins of testing in his stream starting around the 55 min mark.

http://www.twitch.tv/playcevo/b/537228362

Had mostly good things to say about it, but one of the things he downgraded the map for was rotate time but he didnt check the middle rotate which was faster than the main routes.

He has two  vids both running 3 hours  but he hasn't gotten to de_canyon2 yet.   

Ok the top 10's announced.  Unfortunately  I did not make the top ten.   Now having said that  I've requested and  gotten a little bit of feed back from 3 sources (2 GB judges and 1 cevo judge) and despite the claims that competitive was the major focus it seems that for some of the judges looks were too much of a factor.  All of the top 10 maps looking extremely nice but I can tell you that a couple of them have some terrible comp set ups.  Having said that I've only played  5 of the top 10 maps.  So not sure just how good the other 5 are.  But like I said some mappers were rewarded for their maps looks  and custom modeling  but those maps did not merit comp consideration imo.    Some voiced their fears before hand that many judges become to wowed with looks alone.(as mentioned by c0tton during his stream) 

Anyways, it was a great learning experience for me as I learn more about mapping all the time.  I got to see first hand what the pros are looking for specifically in comp maps. 

ALSO I tired uploading 3 of these 10  to our server over the last 3-4 weeks but each were to large for the DL server.

been  five or six post since his call out and  another guy joined in with him.   I made my  little soapbox  rant ( but I kept it nice)   man I dled about 5-6 of these maps and play tested as  I said before.  2 of them  are flawed for comp play but they look awesome in appearance.   I watched one of those maps get ripped pretty badly  in the stream only to come out in the top 10 ( and while that was happening everyone in the chat was agreeing the map wasn't to good but there it sits.)   

ok consider the pot stirred  I just posted :   "Had I  known we could have used an existing layout if we made it from scratch but with little differences I would have worked on and entered my version of de_torn that I am currently working on"

lol all kindsa messed up.  How could they miss that?

someone tried that but I think it still looked to much like dust2

this guys version of fire was an overhaul but that still doesn't dispell the fact that its not an original idea or owned by him for that matter.

My comment up above was sarcasm just to stir that pot.  I think cevo and GB really made themselves look stupid for allowing this to happen.

Serial Mapper's de_island made the top 10 I love his maps but this one was actually one of my least favorite maps

and the vibe I got from it during customs was so meh  I've only ran it once.  I'm sure its much more updated now but still.  I hated the choke points and the swiss cheese mid

de_aurelia

de_alexandria

de_sultan 1 and 2

de_rose

de_amiaz

de_orange ( we dont have this on the server)

de_orient

de_astramania

may have missed some

Further more   CatFood's tulip ( which was to large of a DL) 

looks just as good as his maps

de_reef

de_snowcapped

de_cheesefire

but its layout wasn't exceptional.  Nor was his contact points.  

Yea, all those top maps definitely are some eye candy from what I see. If canyon was polished up to GO engine standards it would be sitting with the rest of them right now. Keep at it turn.

ok respectively on the Game banna side which focused more on beauty and mapping from the feedback I've gathered from there canyon ranked 34th  and  Dash was 37th out of 71    I got better marks from cevo but no feed back from them.

apparently no ones down for trying out sliding doors  ( way better than rotating imo)  or any swimming.  I pretty much knew that going in but hey I had nothing to lose.  I got to see my maps dissected by others and while it was nerve racking at first  I actually came away from it all happy.  One of the GB mods made me a video of each map showing me what they didnt like and what they did like about each map and it was alot more in depth as far as the mapping side went then c0ttons commentary and walk through on competitive layout