Laptop for college/casual gaming

simkiller

(edited)

hello from the crypt

Hope all has been well sim!

$500 budget is going to get you into the Intel Haswell core i3 & i5 (on sale) range of most HP and Dell laptops.

Is there a brand you want to avoid?

Know what size monitor?

I'd suggest a 15.4" or 15.6"

Does he care for Win7 or Win8?

Here is a good deal going on at Tiger:

http://goo.gl/F1fshI

Samsung ATIV Book 2 Intel Core i5 8GB Memory 1TB HDD 15.6" Notebook Windows 8.1 64-bit - NP270E5J-K01US

$500

It features an Intel Core i5-4200U 1.6GHz Haswell dual-core processor, 15.6" 1366x768 LCD, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, DVD burner, 802.11n wireless, Bluetooth, media card reader, webcam, USB, HDMI, 6-cell battery, and Windows 8.1 64-bit.

If you he wants touch screen, Lenovo is putting on a sale now.

http://goo.gl/IEoW6Z

Lenovo Flex 2 (14 inch)

$579

It converts into a touchscreen tablet and features an Intel Core i5-4210U 1.7GHz Haswell dual-core processor, 14" 1366x768 LED-backlit touchscreen LCD, 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive with an 8GB SSD, 802.11n wireless, Bluetooth 4.0, 720p webcam, 4-cell battery, and Windows 8.1 64-bit.

A great place to start to research and find codes, current sales, etc is DealNews.com

Edited by ZesteR

“This item was recently used in a small business, has been tested, and is in working condition. Cosmetically, this item will have damage including, but not limited to, cracks, dents, gouges, broken / missing case pieces, and heavy wear. When applicable, the damage may also include screen blemishes such as spots, dead pixels, etc. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide pictures of specific damage.”

“This item was recently used in a small business, has been tested, and is in working condition. Cosmetically, this item will have damage including, but not limited to, cracks, dents, gouges, broken / missing case pieces, and heavy wear. When applicable, the damage may also include screen blemishes such as spots, dead pixels, etc. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide pictures of specific damage.”

eBay, where what you see isn't what you get.

I've gotten 3 from that seller and they were all in pretty nice cosmetic shape, one had a crack that was on the plastic by the hinge but wasn't a problem, still operated as it should. Do as you will but I like to save money.

(edited)

Sorry, been busy with my sons open house and family. Thanks for the replies. The budget has changed to 700. He does not want a touch screen and win7 preferred but not a must.

Hi zest! All is well here how about yourself?

Edited by simkiller

I've gotten 3 from that seller and they were all in pretty nice cosmetic shape, one had a crack that was on the plastic by the hinge but wasn't a problem, still operated as it should. Do as you will but I like to save money.

I just feel a seller that doesn't post pictures of the actual item isn't one to be trusted.

Some of the used PC sellers, move serious amounts of weight. 17000+ sales with 99.1% positive says to me they don't need the headaches of trying to scam or move crap off that is going to come back at them. Plus eBay protects you and Paypal protects you from bad sellers.

What Preacher says. eBay isn't that bad. Reading negetive reviews sometimes helps me to determine reliability of a seller. I believe eBay itself has a insurance policy up to $2k.

Just keep all conversation through eBay system. Never give your personal contacts. I also recommend to take some pictures prior opening a received package.

Good luck.

Edited by walkingCat

Hey Sim, glad to hear it.

Very good hear. Of course lots has changed in life and gaming. Family and all now. Only really play Natural Selection 2.

Here is a really good deal:

http://goo.gl/bnoyV5

Toshiba Satellite L50-AST3NX3 Intel Haswell Core i7 Quad 2.4GHz 15.6" Laptop

Haswell Core i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz quad-core processor, 15.6" 1366x768 LED-backlit LCD, 12GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, DVD burner, 802.11n wireless, Bluetooth 4.0, 4-cell battery, and Windows 8.1. Deal ends July 7.

Coupon Code: D2B7714  Knocks the price down to $680 from $750

Only down side to this, which might not be a problem for him, is the screen resolution is 1366x768

What makes that one appealing to you?

Cost, Screen resolution, or how thick the laptop is? :P

Here is another refurb from Newegg that is better!

http://goo.gl/C7JD7S

All around better laptop than the one you link to.

Video card, touch screen (ik u dont care), core i7, 1080p screen, thinner laptop. Little bigger screen at 15.6"

Specs:

This 1.1"-thick laptop features an Intel Core i7-4500U 1.8GHz Haswell dual-core processor, 15.6" 1920x1080 IPS touchscreen LCD, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, DVD burner, NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M 2GB video card, 802.11n wireless, Bluetooth webcam, 2-cell battery, and Windows 8 64-bit.

$565

Only bad part is the 2-cell battery.

If you want new, here is an awesome deal:

http://goo.gl/DuiXp4

It features an Intel Core i7-4510U 2GHz Haswell dual-core processor, 1920 x 1080 (1080p) LED-backlit LCD, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, 8GB SSD, 802.11n wireless, DVD burner, Bluetooth 4.0, 720p webcam, 4-cell battery, and Windows 8.1

$749

Both of these laptops have much better hardware than the HP you linked to.

Yes, but have Windows 8/8.1 BUT you can change a setting and have it always boot to the Desktop and you'll never know you're on Win 8.

Yes, but have Windows 8/8.1 BUT you can change a setting and have it always boot to the Desktop and you'll never know you're on Win 8.

Lies.

Shaftiel

Ha!

Only the cake, only the cake