Possible TF2 Server?

ADogX

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

true. Mixing up the modes and maps are a smart thing. if our TF2 server gets big enough and we can have a 2nd one, maybe we could have one based on Arena for real competitive play, with the other one for fun

I am sure if it blows up and we have the room there can be a second server. The only issue would be having admins on that will be on servers to make sure the rules are being followed. Sometimes when I jump into the CS:GO server when it is full and there have been no admins on or regular members it can be a real mess. Although, that is a rare sight to see anymore. 

Get some maps you guys think would keep population up and build a rotation from that list, some mods that would keep order, but be fun at the same time without causing too much chaos, and some real hard dedication and we can go from there :P

I don't think jumping in on making the server now now now is the thing to do.  We should organize some stuff and whatnot first.  If you take any example from Turnbull, he worked his butt off when the GC CSGO pub was going nights without anyone playing in there because of CMM.  Now look at it.  It's full every night.  If you guys can do the same, freaking sweet.

I didn't even plan on working on anything server related til the end of August (Except of course planning). Super busy time for me with work and vacations.

Edited by MaRvIn

I have a ton of ideas for this if this becomes a reality...including a map list.  One map in particular is CP_Lazytown.  This map would draw an entire community in for hours at a time.  Sometimes it took hours to win, depending on strategy.  Also, CP_Toyfort.  This map was amazing for it's ability to allow for engineers and demos to build and fight from atop very high platforms.  Takes a lot of strategy and patience to get up to those areas!  God I miss those days.  I remember one time I spent 36 hours straight on ToyFort because it was so addicting!

I've never heard of ToyFort before. that should be interesting. I honestly am looking for to at least having Arena_2Fort. that's my map addiction right there. i was also thinking we have a Saxton Hale map as well. that would be a fun challenge. everyone versus Pump!

I've never heard of ToyFort before. should be fun! i for sure think we need Arena_2Fort. that's the map that attracts me the most, as well as a lot of other users, considering it's the most popular arena map. i was also thinking we have a Saxton Hale map. That would be one heck of a battle! Everyone versus Pump!

Okay well if you guys start making some mock-up map lists and mods you would like to see we can start organizing all of that. You and ADogX know a lot more than I do about popular maps on TF2. I only know the original maps, need to start playing again.

These are the most popular maps, in order. Its the best stats database I could find. If someone has any other data please post it!

http://tf2stats.net/map_list/

We don't need to limit ourselves to these, but, for a fledgling server getting players in is the most important thing. The first page are the maps that bring people in.

I think the best setup is to use those maps as the backbone and have a few interesting but playable custom maps to keep things interesting/keep people around. By playable I mean they have to work with a full server. TF2 is stalemate friendly and a lot of times the cool/interesting seeming maps are actually a mess. I know that goes for my beloved Rats_1337 in csgo. We need to remember that the maps we like aren't necessarily the best bet for a fledgling server.

I think cp_balloonrace is a lot of fun as a breakup/fun/different map.

I'd have to agree with Slim. We have a lot of success with mostly stock campaigns for L4D2 and standard maps in CSGO. Once we have a little player base we can branch out, but we should stick to what's popular to start.

The three most popular servers I've ever seen (that always had regular players show up) were 24/7 CP_Toyfort, 24/7 CP_Lazytown_Lazynite, and a server that ran all Payload maps (there are a set of payload maps that all interlink from start to finish, and if a team kept winning thier payload match, they'd progress to the next map, but if they lost, the other team would start off where the opponents lost, and if they both lost, the maps would recycle to the 1st map again).

What I would suggest is that we stick to 1 set of maps per day, and have them rotate to a different style of gameplay (from CP to CTF to Payload) every 24 hours after a server restart.  I've never seen a successful server that just plays random styles of gameplay after every round.

Another suggestion would be to run a current style of gameplay after 5 matches...and if the 5 matches don't end before 24 hours is up, the next style will automatically start.  I only suggest the last part because I've seen matches like Toyfort or Lazytown where no one wins for hours because all the regulars know where to fight and build.  There's a lot of different ways to do this when going for multiple maps, but it adds complication.  That's why I think a different style every 24 hours might work best.

Right now having a server up and open would be pointless without any maps that we want to have in a rotation. Plugins to make it all fancy and stuff. I think we should get everything set in stone and then start going about setting up an actual server.