SUGGESTION: Custom Campaigns

Test

Why not add custom campaigns in this server, im not sure if clients can automatically download the maps from server (while playing), link can be provided here in forums so everyone can download it.

The issues with this is:

1. There is no Steam Workshop to Server implementation.  At all.  Anything that's downloaded will have to be uploaded to the server manually which is a hassle.

2. Players cannot download custom campaigns from the server.  Downloading anything from the server is not supported, and custom campaigns (good ones) typically are 500mb to 1gb+ in size each.

3. We would have to deal with everyone making sure they have the custom campaign, and even then you'd get 70% of the people wanting to join can't join because they don't have the campaign, and by the time they download it, the campaign could be over with.

To be honest, sure, it'd be a good idea, but the way custom content is supported for the game is garbage.  I'm not really too interested in bothering with custom campaigns either.

The issues with this is:

1. There is no Steam Workshop to Server implementation.  At all.  Anything that's downloaded will have to be uploaded to the server manually which is a hassle.

2. Players cannot download custom campaigns from the server.  Downloading anything from the server is not supported, and custom campaigns (good ones) typically are 500mb to 1gb+ in size each.

3. We would have to deal with everyone making sure they have the custom campaign, and even then you'd get 70% of the people wanting to join can't join because they don't have the campaign, and by the time they download it, the campaign could be over with.

To be honest, sure, it'd be a good idea, but the way custom content is supported for the game is garbage.  I'm not really too interested in bothering with custom campaigns either.

i guess those are some reasons. map sizes are huge for L4D, unlike in CS.

The issues with this is:

well, you could upload 1 or 2 campaigns every month, and keep only 3/4 custom campaings in the map rotation at once, along whit the oficial ones of course.

this would give time enough time for players to download the campaign and get to play it. and late newcomers wouldnt be completly alienated from the server neither.

also, have some info in the !motd about the custom campaigns in rotation and how to get them.

by the by, might just be my machine, but !motd has never worked for me, cant scroll and clicking the links doesnt do anything at all.

"the way custom content is supported for the game is garbage"

i agree, so hard.

the only way it helps, its the download-link provider on the server selection menu.

If we did it, it wouldn't need it in rotation, it would be set up for a specific night, when people who already have downloaded it can show up and play together.  However, from what Jackie said, on the server end, it doesn't sound like it is worth it for us to do.

So on to the next idea! How about a members only night, I will post and promote a night, or nights when we try to all get on the server (servers) and play together.  The games are a lot of fun when both teams are filled with members (or non-member regulars).  We can still do variations like Jackie pathing and vip mode, if we vote on it and most want that. 

the one night idea souds good as well.

However, from what Jackie said, on the server end, it doesn't sound like it is worth it for us to do.

BOOOO!

menbers only night, sounds like something that should had started being a thing a while ago lol

survivors deagles only mode? :DD

hell to the yes. lone survivor is a fun mutation, but the random hordes make it a bit too hard... more often than not i just run back to the safe room to use the extra medikits.

IF it were easier to put the custom map on the server, we still wouldn't want it in the rotation, it would be worse than when swamp fever is up, it would empty out the server. The only way it would work is if we did the map when we had close to 20 people on the server who already had the map.

I'd go as far as to say members and regulars only.

by the by, i noticed theres a GC "test server"

its always empty and it doesnt let me enter, whats its purpose? could it posibly be used to test custom maps?

It is only for me, TestCharacter. I Test everything out der.

I like TestCharacter's idea. Just uploading one or even two custom campaigns for a very long time might work, plus it would break the monotony of the map cycle L4D2 has

Edited by Jose

I like TestCharacter idea too. Instead of having players downloading custom map every week especially when these download servers are horrible, we could have server 1 with only L4D2 vanilla campaign and server 2/3 will have new campaign added to it every month or so. 

Edited by Protomanx13
  • Like 1

Not sure if I like this idea, but I saw the hardware upgrade. Would we have room for a third public server that is dedicated to custom maps? The big downside is would we be able to keep three servers busy enough to justify them.

Edited by Architect

Not sure if I like this idea, but I saw the hardware upgrade. Would we have room for a third public server that is dedicated to custom maps? The big downside is would we be able to keep three servers busy enough to justify them.

not sure on 3rd server, 2nd server (around 30-40% of the time) is empty. so adding another server will most probably be a waste.

just add 1 custom campaign in server 1 or 2 (or both servers), let it stay for 1 month, and see how it goes.