Fatty's Blog - The possible non-return of an old timer

Fatty

I can call myself an old-timer because GC was technically started before CS even existed......with cat5 running up and down vents in an apartment building LAN, we played HLDM, built maps, and stomped on the floor to show our displeasure for kill we didn't like.

Fast forward 15 years today.

No wait, rewind 14 or so back to the early beta days of CS.  If you watched me play today you'd never believe that I could carry a 3:1 ratio consistently.  I'm not joking.  Give me an MP5 and a nade, and I brought lots of death and destruction and weakened a bunch of others.  (side note, I don't believe there will be a person reading this that viewed my recording of Watchtower's 6 person nade kill on Inferno during a match....unreal...never forgotton)

Ok, back to present.  I suck.

No really....I really do suck.  The skill level in CS is unbelievable.  Granted for the last 8 years I only hopped on when I was 3 sheets.....but regardless.  

Here's why I don't know if I can make a comeback or difference anymore in this game:

When I was 3:1, people would listen and let me call plays.  We would do amazing things vs. a team with no organization.  When I was 2:1, still could rally a team, even as time went on and I could barely stay 1:1, my name was enough that people would listen, and because simple teamwork prevailed, we could dominate.

I don't want to call the plays anymore.  I don't have a right to call the plays any more.  But damnit the people on the top don't call plays they just complain and make excuses.  Ask the guys of xT.....I take orders pretty well, I'm not proud, there's no ego.  Give me an assignment.  I'd do the same thing in the pub server, no problem.  But while we call it a "competitive" server....is it really a teamwork-based server?

Maybe it's too early to tell.  I'll not give up yet.

Funny story, tonight on Dust2, we are getting drilled....down 2-7 as CTs....ok, and round after round, nothing.  I'm like, let's go, we have to change something here.....everyone get a SMG and rush up the middle!!!  I died alone...... charisma -5.  Not a single soul.   Whatever, I wouldn't listen to me either....but my point is this....we need the skilled people of the server to be organizing things, not just making excuses (most of those present won't even read this....we have to breed them).

Ok, I have much more to say.....but I'm done for now.  I'm still better than my children (rofl).  

This will be my blog though.....because FragFestOhio was built on CS and our community group.  I feel it will survive on it.  When this ends, it's probably over for me between FFOs (meaning I'll play it there) as far as CS goes.....

My last concern:  there wasn't any laughter.  Barely any if any at all.  I saw a sense of humor in Badplayer an Queen somethingorother....(both GC, thank you, sorry queen i'll learn your name), but aside from that....

You gotta have fun.

You gotta be able to laugh, most of all at yourself.  poop, laugh at me, but not in a mean way!  That's not GC!

Maybe next chapter I'll tell you about the guy who I wanted to strangle tonight, but only kicked......I'd be fine going 1:10 (btw I held a 1:2 most of the time, besides d2!), and I'd be fine laughing at myself trying....but to be demeaned....to be put down...to be witched at....cause you suck.......I thought I banned a ton before.....ooof....now I'm a big fat target for abuse.

......to be continued...we shall see how it goes!  I hope that I can make a difference, but maybe my time is done!?!? 

:ninja:  :fatty:  :ph34r3eye:

It's a shame that so many of the guys from the old days are retired or have moved on. I bet very few of us remember the pre-steam days and how much fun was had. 

Maybe we should BS less and tell fewer jokes in Mumble to keep the server atmosphere more lively.

It's a shame that so many of the guys from the old days are retired or have moved on. I bet very few of us remember the pre-steam days and how much fun was had. 

Maybe we should BS less and tell fewer jokes in Mumble to keep the server atmosphere more lively.

I feel the same way except  I wasn't no where near GC in the pre-steam days.   I was all about the NC/ Fayettevllie CS scene.  Lans a plenty and multiple interacting  NC based clans 2 with all Fayetteville (hometown) members.    Most of those guys don't play anymore and  of those that do  they don't play CSGO.

As far as mumble goes I think  we should still use it as much as we do but I think the conversations within the COMP lobby should be held in check.   I can't hear whats going on in the server when people are having full blown conversations.   I'm all for the jabs and glib stuff in there though and would say most of it in game if/when the other person can hear me.

Funny story, tonight on Dust2, we are getting drilled....down 2-7 as CTs....ok, and round after round, nothing.  I'm like, let's go, we have to change something here.....everyone get a SMG and rush up the middle!!!  I died alone...... charisma -5.  Not a single soul.   Whatever, I wouldn't listen to me either....but my point is this....we need the skilled people of the server to be organizing things, not just making excuses (most of those present won't even read this....we have to breed them).

Meh, even pre-steam it was hit or miss. If you got an a server (or whatever server I was a regular on back then) and you happened to have a mic you were instantly 'captain' otherwise it was complete disarray. Even then it wasn't like everyone always listened. I think a lot of that just depends on the server on that day. I have seen GC pull together some mean strats just as often as I see them pull off no strat at all.

That's the thing about CSGO vs the other CS games.  CSGO feels a lot different as far as movement and guns.  Recoil feels different (much better than the terribad beta days) than before too.  I remember one FragFest where Fatty was somehow killing people left and right and on top of the scoreboard after not playing for a year or more.  I'm like, "how??".  I will say this though, I learned more about CS from playing GO than I ever did in CSS or CS1.6 combined.  I may not be as good as I was when I stopped playing CSS, but my game sense is better than it was at the time.

server IP change is a time when everyone needs to give a little extra....we just lost our "favorites but not a member for forums or community" traffic..

go1.gcftw.com

Old IP should be back today sometime. 

(edited)

Hearing people reminisce about the old times in CS puts a tear in me eye!  Time FLIES.

For me, it's about the people, playing with friends.  CS is probably the most social thing I do all day. :icon20: 

Edited by Girlzilla

GC Founder

Last night Buddy celebrated her first, second, and fifth kills online!  It actually helped that we changed IPs because the game wasn't so crazy hectic around her! :-o

She tends to follow me around all the time....which is a bad idea, because with the new maps and the altered "old" maps, I have no idea where I'm getting shot from.  

One example, Shaft shoots me from only God knows where.  

Fatty: "Mya, don't step up there where I <BLAM>.....nevermind."

Shaft took care of the whole family with two shots within 5 seconds.

I still follow when someone calls a strat, the porblem is few if any do. Followed you Fatty right to a plant and win that day were on together tuning up for FFO14. I wasn't using my mic that night because the other days I'd used it, nobody responded to me so i thought it wasn't working. It's probably a good thing i didn't use my mic because when I was the last T alive right before I left, and didn't see the ct in time, had I known then my mic worked I probably would have been banned for lightintg up the fools who slagged me. I don't know who they were, but I certainly hope they weren't GC. "How did you not see him??? What are you doing with your life???" Really. That last one angered me the most. Even if Unclean had said it to me back in the day in jest, I still would have been miffed.

As for laughing and having a good time, the mood on the CSGO server when I've been on is very much like it was on Recrud. That (and the no scopes) was a HUGE reason I stuck to  Project Mayhem. You want to talk about a server having fun? That was it. The closest I've seen to that atmosphere is on Custom Map Night. Other than that, it's all AWP's all the time, and little interaction. TbT and Queen Tiffilicious, and darn it, there is another admin who has been on a lot recently when I've been on  who have been good, but even when I call where I'm going with the bomb almost nobody goes with me, and really, it's suicide and bad form to go plant with no backup.