FREE - Sims 2 Ultimate Collection (all EPs and SPs) on Origin

Girlzilla

Welp, I don't just like First-Person-Shooters.  I'm a bit of a Simmer and have played Sims 1, 2, 3, and eventually I will play Sims 4 coming out this September 2nd.

BUT, you might like to know that EA is giving away Sims 2 Ultimate Collection FREE on Origin, but you have to redeem by July 31st.

Source: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-get-the-sims-2-ultimate-collection/

The Ultimate Collection includes the base game + every expansion pack (8 of them) and stuff packs (9 of them).

You need Origin:

From the ‘Games’ tab in the Origin menu, select ‘Redeem Product Code’ and enter the code
I-LOVE-THE-SIMS

Also, since someone asked, this collection is completely free - you don't have to already own the base game to get all the expansions, etc.  The code gives you the whole shebang.

Edited by Girlzilla

(edited)

I have the Sims 2 installed on Windows 7, but it only runs if you use compatibility mode since the game is older.

Here is the order that The Sims 2 should be installed in:

• The Sims 2™ (or Sims 2 Deluxe, Sims 2 Double Deluxe or Sims 2 Holiday Edition, whichever you have)
  • University (or University Life Collection)
  • Nightlife (disregard if you have Sims 2 Deluxe or Double Deluxe)
  • Christmas Party Pack (US) OR Holiday Party Pack (UK)
  • Open for Business or Best of Business Collection
  • Family Fun Stuff or Fun with Pets Collection
  • Glamour Life Stuff
  • Pets (disregard if you have Fun with Pets Collection)
  • Happy Holiday Stuff (Disregard if you have Sims 2 Holiday Edition)
  • Seasons
  • Celebration Stuff (disregard if you have Double Deluxe)
  • H&M Fashion Stuff (disregard if you have Best of Business Collection)
  • Bon Voyage
  • Teen Style Stuff (disregard if you have University Life Collection)
  • FreeTime
  • Kitchen & Bath Interior Design Stuff (disregard if you have Best of Business Collection)
  • IKEA Home Stuff (disregard if you have University Life Collection)
  • Apartment Life
  • Mansion & Garden Stuff (disregard if you have Fun with Pets Collection)

Also, be sure to patch whenever you are prompted by the game to do so.

Source: http://help.ea.com/en/article/installation-order-for-the-sims-2/

In case you want to go back to the original neighborhoods after you've played them for a while:

Resetting Pleasantview, Strangetown or Veronaville

1. Make sure that The Sims 2 game isn't running.
  2. Back up your games files.
  3. Now find the following location on your hard drive: My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods.
  4. Right-click on the folder you are replacing, (N001 for Pleasantview, N002 for Strangetown and N003 for Veronaville) and choose 'Delete'.
  5. Click yes when asked, to confirm deletion.
  6. Find the following location on your hard drive: C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\UserData\Neighborhoods. (Note: This assumes you have installed the game into the default location. If you have the game installed on a drive with a different letter, then change the C:\ to the letter of the drive your game is installed on).
  7. If you look in the folder listed in step 6, you will see at least 4 folders and 1 file. The three folders we are interested in are the ones labeled N001, N002 and N003.
  8. Choose the neighborhood that you want to reset from the three folders mentioned in step 7. The neighborhoods are as follows:
  • N001 = Pleasantview.
  • N002 = Strangetown.
  • N003 = Veronaville.
  1. Right-click on the folder for the neighborhood you will be resetting and choose the 'copy' option. (i.e. If you will be resetting Pleasantview then the correct folder to right-click on will be N001).
  2. Now find the following location on your hard drive: My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods.
  3. Right-click inside a blank part of the folder listed in step 10 and select the 'paste' option, wait while the folder and files are copied over.
  4. Start your game and go to the pre-made neighborhood you have just replaced. Verify that everything has been reset.

Source: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-reset-towns-in-the-sims-2/

Backing Up your Sims 2 Files:

Backup the save data in Windows XP:

1. Click the Start button and select My Documents.
  2. Select the EA Games folder.
  3. Right-click The Sims 2 folder and select Copy.
  4. Right-click on the folder or drive where you want to save your backup and select Paste.
  5. Make sure you re-name your copy and include 'backup' in the file name to avoid confusion.
  6. To restore your Sims 2 save games, move this folder back into the EA Games folder and select the Overwrite option when prompted.

Backup the save data in Windows Vista:

1. Click the Start button and select Documents.
  2. Select the EA Games folder.
  3. Right-click The Sims 2 folder and select Cut.
  4. Right-click on the folder or drive where you want to save your backup and select Paste.
  5. Make sure you re-name your copy and include 'backup' in the file name to avoid confusion.
  6. To restore your Sims 2 save games, move this folder back into the EA Games folder after re-installing the game.

Source: http://help.ea.com/en/article/backing-up-your-sims-2-files/

Edited by Girlzilla

(edited)

This game is not multiplayer. 

It's also very entertaining.  Probably more for women? :cool:

Just defending the Sims against the online game "Second Life," which I agree is a total waste of time.

Edited by Girlzilla

(edited)

Hmmm... I have the entire collection on their original, physical discs and only registered this deal on Origin as a free digital backup - so I don't know what the download file looks like.  I'm assuming you have to install as if they were physical copies, in the correct order for each expansion/stuff pack (see the order list above), unless it's all just one convenient huge file.  I don't know.   Hopefully, the installation wizard is walking you through it!  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Just note, the entire collection takes FOREVER to install disc by disc - it's a huge game with all the expansions, etc.  It's not a fun process.  I have notes at home I can share about running it in compatibility mode if it fails to launch.  I can't remember, but I think I had to create a new shortcut to point to a different .exe to run it.  I'm running it on Windows 7, btw.  Also, the resolution was stuck on a really low setting - I had to edit some .ini file to fix it so I could get access to the 1600X900 setting.  I'll get that posted when I'm home from work!

Edit: Well, I couldn't find the notes, but hopefully this helps if you run into trouble, chick82:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwqBECnGPis

Edited by Girlzilla

(edited)

It's OK - The Sims series seems pretty used to being misunderstood, even ignored, in the mainstream gaming industry.  It’s undoubtedly a feminine game (“virtual dollhouse”) against masculine shoot-em-up types, the majority of games out there.  (Though you can kill your Sims.  Death by drowning, electrocution, starvation, eaten by the famous Cow Plant, etc.  It gets weird.  It’s definitely goofy).  Case in point, the E3 Expo this past June, the Sims 4 barely got any attention compared to EA’s big titles like Mass Effect and Battlefield.  I don’t have the link right now, but I remember one commentator saying something along the lines of being embarrassed about "admitting" he liked playing the Sims.

Plus, after the SimCity fiasco, Sims 4 will definitely *not* be online.  The only really interactive thing is the Gallery where you upload your Sims and houses, and other people can download and put it in their game.

I personally like playing it for the building.  I’m surprised Fatty hasn’t gotten his girls a copy (I’m guessing).  It’s kind of like Minecraft in that you can creatively build things, like homes and community lots (like bars and parks, etc).

Sims 4 videos, for those interested :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KSFkcKBBMo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZmtGfTj-to&list=PLSnHrMX7SCvNtIERLfzYZ4xHXt3n5Pz8p

Edited by Girlzilla

• 6 months later...