High Ping

Regan

I was playing on the server earlier and a certain admin starts warning me for high ping, to the point where I get kicked.

This annoys me to no end, as I got my membership only for that ping protection. Am I to understand I am no longer welcome on the servers? I don't even understand what the issue is, unless I teleport everywhere, which I don't think I do.

I admit I gave him some attitude for the warnings he gave, but that's only because this has happened before. I got frustrated.

I just want some clarification. Is it okay to warn a member for high ping when a member perk is high ping protection?

This is my opinion, not something out of our rules, so I might be off here, but...

I think it depends on the ping, and what is happening in the game.  If someone has a 1000 ping, can barely move, etc, the admin would have justification in kicking him.  If you have a ping that is 200, 300, or somewhat higher, and can play normally, and the server is not kicking you, then I don't believe an admin should be warning and kicking you.  If you are spiking up and down, again, if you are able to play, not sure why someone would kick you.

If you want to message me with the admin's name, I can talk to him/her, see what happened and make sure we are all on the same page. 

ive yet to see a member get jib for high ping issues. we all know certain players with high ping who talk about it all the time on the server and play just fine with high ping. one of the perks of membership is to prevent the high ping kick, if this is not the case anymore, a board member, please confirm so.   

I suspect if there is a thing such as the automatic high-ping kick that *that* is turned off for Coalition Members.

If this was an admin-initiated kick that's something different.

What was your ping just out of curiosity, and yes we still need the admin to chime in.

(edited)

There's a big difference between high ping and packet loss. High latency doesn't affect other players at all, it affects only you because you see every event on the server with a delay of half a second or less depending on your latency at a given moment.
However, when your connection between the two points ( you <---> server ) suffers from packet loss specially on your upstream, every player on the server sees you "warping" around and it's really annoying for the survivors when you are a tank, maybe that was the reason for the kick, but isn't fully justified still.
For some reason yesterday the hosting company where GC's servers are hosted started to apply *aggressive* packet throttling to a few countries outside the US and for me it was unplayable... everyone saw me really really laggy and it was just too choppy to play, it was a really BIG packet loss issue and wasn't high latency (my latency was the average for me... 210~280).

Edited by Jose

Although I don't understand the finer details, I get the gist of what youre saying Jose and that is exactly what annoys me. Im pretty sure I don't warp/teleport around as ive been around a while with no complaints from people(atleast to my knowledge). My high ping just means I have a delayed version of the game everybody else is playing, which is a client-sided disadvantage, if I can deal with that without being completely horrible at the game, I don't see a problem with it.

GC Server Admin
(edited)

Sorry Regan I think it was I who kicked you. You could have come right back in.

Why didnt you say something the first and second time you were warned?

Why dont you use the name Regan on the server instead of chinese characters?

Edited by Mercman
  • Like 2

I could have but would you not have started warning again?

I assumed you knew i was a member, with that in mind, saying anything would have done nothing; Youre an admin, you should gather as much information as possible before using authoritive commands.

As for the names, thats my own fault i guess, but it shouldnt matter who is who anyway

For the Chinese characters in your name, looks like it is a matter of being able to recognize you.

For the communication, you would be well-served to connect with some (all) of the admins, particularly given your lag issues via Steam chat, so that you can communicate issues with them like this, at the time.

2 cents.

Hey Regan.  I hope all is well.  I did not kick you, but sorry for the kick.  Just let admins know what is going on.  As the game gets older, more trolls buy it for like a dollar.  At that point they just join to mess up the game.  I think Merc thought you were one of them trolls. 

Again, on behalf of GC, Sorry and enjoy the game.  :)