Website Move Updates

Flitterkill

Someday soon, like real soon, we'll be moving this website to new digs.  DONE! Please post any bugs/missings/upload fails/etc. in this thread. Thx.

We've been with FutureHosting for a few years now but needs and times change and for what we need they no longer have anything that fits our budget (or at least we can get moar elsewhere)

The newness is better of course. Dedicated cores vs shared cores. Same memory. More than double the HD space. Nginx, Zend Opcache, etc. We've upgraded the game servers, time to up our web game as well.

That means at some vague unannounced time the web will be down, and then it will be back up. There *might* be some missing things here and there but nothing that can't be replaced. There also might be some of the usual chop as we figure out what to cache and what to use to cache it and all that jazz.  SSL certs (blah) need redoing. Ton of junk.

But M0M is on a staycation right now so the timing for all this couldn't be better.

GC Board Member

I'm not entirely sold on CloudFlare and other stuff. For the store we have to have ssl and there is some chop with CDN stuff and SSL (unless one pays for it and then there is the configuratering which I don't even know if IPB.Nexus can even handle right now)

Let's leave it at maybe? Looking forward to just getting things working firstly.

GC Board Member

Real close so I put up the announcement. We're testing with a copy of the db now. When we are ready we'll close these forums for posting, copy the db again, ramp it up and then flip the DNS switch. We'll set up a redirect do people can get to us again.

Hell of thing that outage too. Someone wrote a benign dns/router rule and captured a bug that crapped Juniper routers. One in a million that, but also, yeah, cdn. 

GC Board Member

Move is done. Bugs reported here.

STUFF THAT IS PROBABLY WIERD FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS OR SO:

CONFIRMED DOWN! Nexus store front. Can add to cart but checkout requires SSL. Working on it.

Game Server auto-reserves for new members. Gotta open firewalls, change some ips in scripts, etc.

Sourcebans. Same reason as above.

Some of our pages you can access in the menu are broken. Different furl structure so blah blah edit blah etc.

Congrats lad! I'll be able to notice the difference in speed once my ISP stop being so packet-lossy.

I remember the headaches nginx gave me two years ago, every web software written in PHP used to only ship with the standard .htaccess that is apache-like webservers only... so I forget that .htaccess had any restriction to a certain folder and users were able to access known php scripts of the forum, specially those that had vulnerabilities like LFI/RFI.

So I hope this isn't the case!

About CloudFlare... yeah they had a big issue but it was only once (I hope, lol)
Many of you in the US won't notice any speed boost, but people outside the US can fetch cached images, scripts in the nearest CloudFlare's edges making the loading page time way shorter.

Also I wear this... so I've to advertise cloudflare everywhere! lol

419072_10151384114190356_479800965_n.jpg

GC Board Member

Clearing more errors found in the logs.

Apparently iPad users ask for a special sunshine version of favicos. Never knew. Those of you doing so should now be getting a black GC logo.

Adding in missing graphics in various places. Probably not going to notice any changes but it does clear the logs so I'm all for that.

I have seen a minor bug just to let you know of. 

The PM system doesn't seem to follow the proper time stamp format as the forums. 

I sent a PM this morning, but the time stamp indicates that I sent it at 9:03PM. So unless I am a time traveler (which would be amazing) this is an issue.

Here is a screen cap.

pm.jpg

Nope! Scratch that! My profile time zone was set to Dublin time. /insertidioticcommentshere

:hihi: 

Edited by DFIREWeeman

GC Board Member

There is some chop still with Steam logins. 

Creating a new GC account by logging into Steam is fine.

Using Steam to login to that new account is fine.

But some/all old Steam login accounts seem to not recognize the new-ness and instead of logging in to the account try to create a new one.

I suspect there are some hashes or something somewhere that need to be nuked or something something...