RIP Robin Williams

Fenix

My eyes leaked. I remember watching Mork and Mindy as a kid. I have never been disappointed or failed to laugh and have my spirit raised by watching him. His comedy was so powerful and funny because he was able to touch you with his humanity. He was able to find a common thread between him and the audience, and that connection, that seemingly shared experience, really made him feel more like a good friend, than just an entertainer. When I think about how much I will miss his frantic, crazy sense of humor, I can't help but tear up. I will miss my friend.

Shaftiel

• Like 1

Comedy is birthed out of the tortured soul. The laugh is like a breath of air to those who learn to hate themselves because they are different, unliked or just feel out of place. The whole internet, tv and media is flooded with statements of why such a funny guy would be so depressed, but as a class clown myself and a minister with a lot of years of counseling, I will say that without exception those that I deem to be "funny" have also suffered silently with substance abuse, self esteem issues and/or depression.

Remember that as you laugh at the fat guy falling down on purpose or the ugly guy making a self deprecating joke. Also be a good friend to those who are normally funny on the days they are not. They may just consider you friend enough to drop the act. Never say things like lighten up or ask them to be their normal funny selves or to make fools of themselves for one of your other friends. This leads to them thinking (maybe unconscously) that their only value to the group is for a laugh. Usually they will remain in the group anyway because they feel that it is all they have to offer anyone anyway.

And if you ever suspect a person of being suicidal be there for them. If you can't then call someone who can. If all else fails call 911. A life lost to suicide leaves no peace behind.

Depression can be an all-consuming and crushing weight. I do not believe there is a "cure". There is only treatment, and I'm not talking specifically about drugs, or self-medicating. Treeatment can be, as Preacher said, simply being a friend to someone. You may never know what life you may save with your friendship. If you're lucky, they may confide in you at some point, but even more likely is that they will never tell you that you were the person who kept them from falling into that pit of despair which they felt no way out of.  Like Preacher mentioned the "funny" people have almost universally suffered from some form of depression. I think that their struggles may be the reason that they work so hard to make others laugh. Maybe they are able to share in the joy that others feel, if only for a short time.

It is sad to lose someone like Robin Williams. No matter what role he played on tv, or in the movies, he always made the view feel something. He brought out emotions in people. Above and beyond that, you never read about him being mean to anyone, or any group of people. He spent a lot of time, effort and money working for and with charitible organizations.  My heart breaks for his family and close friends. If we, who are strangers to him have felt this saddened at his death, it must be that much worse for those who knew him personally and loved him personally.

RIP Robin, the world is a better place because you existed.

• 2 months later...