Dear Mr. Stutters

Flitterkill

GC Board Member

Aside from knowing how to play? Not really. That sounds a bit trite but it took me a bit to clue up last year (granted I had distractions...)

You play your opponent over the course of a week. You *will* check your roster daily and swap people in and out who are playing that night. Sometimes you might not have the right bench players to have a full roster every night, gonna happen. Who is winning your match will change often as one guy has more players going on a given night than the other plus performance, etc.

You play across ten statistical categories. For ten points. Let's roll through them:

Goals

Assists

+/-

Those are pretty self explanatory. Note the brain warping fantasy enigma that is a certain Washington Capitals star player on offense who can lead the league in goals but also quite possibly lead the league in +/- (mainly the minus).

Your motley collection of guys over the course of a week score more than the other guys motley collection then you have "won" that point out of the ten categories. Same for assists. Same for +/- (being the plusses you want of course)

Penalty Minutes

Powerplay Points

Shots on Goal

Self explanatory. Those six categories are what your off and def guys handle. Your goalies do the rest:

Wins

Goals Against Ave

Save %

Shut Outs.

Self explanatory. Your goalies, collectively, have to rock at least three games during a week otherwise you forfeit all of your goallie derived points. That means some dude with a killer shutout can't be your only goalie play during the week. Not fair, etc.

So you play over a week and say you beat the other guy in goals and wins. The other guy has you in assists, +/-, save % and shut outs. You tie all the rest.

You get two points, other dude gets four points, they win the match. 

You: 2-4-4

Other Guy: 4-2-4

Rinse, repeat for season.

2 centers, 2 right wings, 2 left wings, 4 defense, 2 goalies plus 4 bench players of whoever/whatever.

Note that some magical players are listed as center/right, or center/left, or all three. Yes, they can fit in all the slots.

Check this: http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/65733/lastseason

That's our rosters from last year when the year ended. You can see who we drafted (provided we didn't drop them during the season) draft pos. and rankings at stat and end of season.

With just 6 teams it was rather enjoyable knowing we left a lot out there to pick and switch with during the year.

Lastly, as the match plays out the x-x-x score will vary wildly. You can be up 9-0-1 after a Monday night but that probably just means the other guy had no one playing that night. The next night it could be 3-6-1, and then 5-2-3, and so on. 

If you want, you can adjust player rankings before the draft starts. For example, if you think Sidney Crosby is a hoser and you don't want him on your team, you can put him on your "Do Not Draft" list. Or if you think Gustav Nyquist is going to have a stellar year, put him on your "Preferred Players" list.

From the menu, click "Draft Central" then "Pre-Draft Rankings." When the page loads, click "Edit My Pre-Draft Player Rankings."

any good tutorials on fantasy hockey?

You actually got third place last year :P

Can we delay the draft an hour? I can't make 10pm est but might be able to make 11pm est.

Though the autodraft Gods have been kind to me lately, so missing the draft might work out well for me.

Edited by Pronouncemyname