Workshop items have been disabled

crasx

What if we submitted links to workshop items and allowed y'all to say what's allowed and what's not? If there are true "hacks" in the workshop, it will have to go through the board members first. By the way, some "unfair advantages" are scripts that have somehow migrated into the regular Left 4 Dead 2 files and have been implanted into everyday play unless playing on Official Valve servers. Blue and green shirt zombies are one such script.

Pump,

It cant be done. 

Crasx been working on it.  So has Jackie.   We cant thank or pay them enough.

I am glad the workshop is disabled now.

It showed light on many miracle plays from the past that were being questioned by admins.  I have spent countless hours with admins reviewing demos.  Those hours now make sense.

• Like 3

So there's only a master on and off switch for mods like there is for allowing campaigns on the server or not?

I think disabling the workshop isn't going to curb suspicions of hacking too significantly. Again, I bring up alternative websites to get mods and the like. After all, hacking and cheating has been going on prior to the existence of the workshop. You can only regulate so many things. Might as well get rid of everything modded except for the server itself.

So there's only a master on and off switch for mods like there is for allowing campaigns on the server or not?

Basically, yes. It's a setting server side that requires all files to match the server. Not just workshop stuff, but any files that have been modified. 

Basically, yes. It's a setting server side that requires all files to match the server. Not just workshop stuff, but any files that have been modified. 

Is it possible to change server-side skins/textures and have those pushed to clients--Or would something like that have to be downloaded in advance by each player?  I'm envisioning special occasions for themed nights.. don't know if that is feasible, though.

Shame valve did not put in options to control this better.   :nosmile:

Biggs, I was thinking something along those lines too, wondering if the server could have possible skin mods included but if the connected person doesn't have those, it reverts to the normal one, or if incompatible ones it reverts to normal. 

Not really a whitelist but more of the server having add-ons files other than maps?

well, there goes all my mele replacements, my B/W ghost vision, non-orange infected vision... and all my wallhacks, oh man... im gona miss those.

kiding aside, its a freaking shame.

i take it the add-ons server side that biggs and clony are talking about would be a bit too much on the servers?

I can understand why a change like this have happen but in the end I just can't support it. Call it for selfish reasons but many of us are thinking of the same thing and that we love our custom mods. Not the cheating ones of course, I don't use any of those and most of us as well (I hope). Is the cosmetics that changes the guns, survivors, infected, skyboxes or even ammo piles that brings more life to this game. We spent at least 1k - 4k hours in this game, I would want to see something different aside from the pale and boring design of the same thing EVERY day. Is frustrating for me that a few bad apples would affect the whole lot and we all got dump into the bin without even a headsup. Hell, if this really isn't open for discussion or debate of any sort, why not just lock this topic in the first place?

Why can you not support this, If you can understand why this change took place?

I have always wondered about this in the past.  You know how I have made claim that certain members were possibly botting or hacking, and now this makes complete sense.  Even when the demos showed no one was aimbotting, the fact that they got so many headshots so easily made it seem there was something else giving those players an unfair advantage.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what this is about right?

• Like 1

By the way, I dont think not one Admin thought otherwise that it was not a clear advantage for using certain workshop items.

I would say 100% of the admins all agreed that the stuff we saw clearly showed an advantage to the user having them. 

I feel we spent more time, trying to whitelist stuff (not me but Jackie and Crasx)  and figuring out if it was bannable than anything else.  We debated this a lot.