Are Steam Accounts/Steam itself being hacked at unprecedented rates?

turnbullTeRRoR

Man here the last 2-3 weeks my friends list has been hit up and down with hacks.   I have had 3 friends changed there names to  " DONT OPEN THAT LINK I SENT YOU"     Someone's grabbed an account and sent a nasty suprise link with all sorts of malicious  goodies for your pc.    This morning upon awaking  I noticed I had a steam message.......from someone I've never seen before.   I read the message.  4 seperate texts with a link....all obviously  scripted about trading......           So I don't recognize the name.  Hmm   view aliases .........none......hmmmmmm whats up STEAM ?    you unsecure piece of pooh

How can someone  I dont know / not added to my friends list Message me.         Thats all.

A couple links were sent to me from people that haven't messaged me in a long time.  Something like "Hey check out this new item I got: *Here'sALinkThat'sObviouslyATrap*"

I assume going to this page is going to compromise my account.  Kind of a phishing scam on steam?

People uses some scripts or programs, which allow them to scan peoples backpacks. It's even easier to those, who trade a lot as csgo lounge or tf2outpost.

They started with fake steam community links, as broken grammar : stemcommunity,...etc etc, then with broken tf2outpost link. Now they're sending fake puush links, tinyurl links and even mumble links, to download latest version.

• 2 weeks later...