banned

Twins

STEAM_1:1:7035410

l4d2 server1..?

So i was banned about 30 mins ago, I tried adding the admin, but they are ignoring me. Apparently i am getting a 1 month ban  for being a dum-dum/calling teammates noob. I have no clue what that means considering i was on good behavior. , and let me just say that calling someone a dum-dum is much worse than calling someone a noob. If you meant i was calling someone that then you are mistaken since i really have no memory of that happening and i don't have Alzheimer's yet. and i was using chat and can check logs (the noob was done with chat)

For context, it was someone on the opposite team and it was someone who i consider a friend i was joking around with them like we ALWAYS do to each other all the time (and it was obvious it was directed at them considering the situation). We call each other noobs all the time ingame whenever someone does something dumb. I said it twice in a joking fashion during finale johnny was there for the first time, so if it really was an issue you should have said something. I talked with the player and they said they didn't complain. So why are you doing this?

As for my previous bans 1 of them was accidental and was insta-unbanned another 2 were  unbanned within the hour, does that mean you still have to increase ban length all the time, even for the smallest of infractions?

Sorry for the grammar

Edited by Twins

This is Johnny's ban and he'll come and respond probably in the morning.

Just an FYI yeah calling friends noobs we all do it once in awhile but try to avoid it just because we don't want new players being like "oh it's okay to call ppl noobs" ect. Like I know you are saying it was to a friend but still just in the future maybe keep it to pms or if it's all members and everyone's joking around or avoid it all together.

Hi Sebaka

According to Johnny's notes you were using the "r" word (meaning mentally handicapped), then you called someone "noob".  Someone complained to Johnny and he banned you.  We don't allow people to use the r word on the servers.  While it is not a swear word, it is generally used as an insulting word.  I am sure you know not to use that by now.  As far as "noob", if used as an insult to someone or a group, then it is against the rules.  If used as you stated, in fun to a regular, it is understandable and all of us regulars joke around with each other, but as chick says the problem is the example set for people who are not understanding the joke.  I could check the logs, but if all it shows is you calling someone a "noob", it would be hard for me to get the context of it. Johnny has a demo and can review it later, so that might be better.

As far as the length of time of the ban...  We do increase penalties based on prior offenses.  Some of your prior bans were for rushing, but they were a while back and I don't really ever see you rush anymore.  You have also been warned about attitude issues in the past, but again, I have not seen that since.

I will discuss with Johnny and we will get back to you.  Make sure, however, to be careful in the future regarding language and attitude in the servers.

Option A:

Upon acceptance of your friend request, we have a mature, respectful discussion why the word “ret*rded” is offensive to people and not allowed on GC servers, and wherein you apologize for using it. Despite the fact that at least one other admin has warned you not to use this word before, this time it was an innocent slip of the tongue, and it won’t happen again.  Then we discuss why you typed “noob” in chat where you apologize again for using it, after explaining it was playful banter between friends, and not meant to be insulting.  Then I say,” Ah, I understand, I’ve done it too, but let’s try not to use it because it sets a bad example for other players.”  Then I possibly would’ve given only a warning because your last ban was 5 months ago. At most, again maybe but likely not, an obligatory light ban may be applied considering your ban history. 

Or… Option B.  You write an unban post full of attitude.

Let’s explore Option B. 

You are a long time member, so you should know the rules and what is/is not allowed.  You have 6 bans already, and even after giving you the benefit of the doubt that only 5 are admissible, you are still eligible for perma bans under our new protocols that basically states we increase penalties for repeat offenders.  The length can be reduced pending a successful unban request.  Exactly what is a successful unban request?  Generally you find the most successful ones are respectful, apologetic, and own up to their actions.  The ones that are defensive, argumentative, accusatory, and with attitude are not successful.

So now I have to respond to your public post instead of Option A, which I would’ve much preferred. 

The general tone your post ( version 1), before the multiple edits, is not one which will earn you any support for a reduced penalty.  It was 2 am and I had a long day, and not much sleep the night before.  I am not a robot that monitors the forums and Steam 24/7 to accept your friend’s request.  No, I would not call you ret*rded, but I understand it’s easy to misinterpret the ban page – but admin notes clearly explained the situation.  No, I am not out to “get you” like I have some personal vendetta, or just lurking around, waiting to fabricate stuff so I can ban you forever.  Someone requested action against you for “name calling”,i.e.“noob”. Upon investigation, I found sufficient evidence for a ban. 

If you waited until morning, we could’ve discussed this privately and had a simple, simple outcome. But…Option B.

Edited by MeJohnny

This is not the first time you have had issues with members and your lack of respect and attitude.  If you remember, prior to my becoming an admin I had made a report against you about this very same behavior.  Yes, you improved, at least with respect to myself.  However, it appears that you still have an issue.

Ill say it again, I never said it.

I now know the situation you are talking about. I said don't defib during tank. Someone else on the team said we have a blahblahblah and  r who defibs during tanks(and went on a rant after that, someone said you have a demo so if someone who knows my voice can distinguish it between them than thanks).

People have said that my voice is very similar to others and i got in trouble once for insulting players on the mic when i wasnt even ingame.

But I'm 100% sure it wasn't me cause I remember this guy was upset even though we were winning, i dont know you, so i can only assume you dont know my voice good enough to tell it apart. As for the attitude, I already said the facts I was dealt with. I added you 5 secs after the ban. You ignored it even though you edited the SB notes 10 mins later. I asked the player if they complained and they said no. Later they confessed they may have said something out of anger. But I was just using what I was dealt with. Which was a pretty bad hand. So I'm sorry about about this situation I got ourselves in, but we are in it now. And I'll deal with the consequences all i can ask is dont bias your decision on something that was edited out 1 min after posting  after i was still receiving facts and rolling in conspiracy theories. 

The player said they withdrew the complaint and spoke to you.

Edited by Twins

Sebaka, please do not use the word "ret*arded" in any way, shape or form.  The way you used it was not an insult, so does not merit a severe penalty.  However, the word is not allowed on our servers. The person who made the "noob" complaint withdrew it, and actually defended you.  If you want all the evidence I have, PM me and I'll send you the links to the videos.  Or have one of the other admins forward them from the Sourceban notes.

If you want to further contest this, then please talk to Peanut and we can take it to the admin forums, where all the other admins can weigh in on my evidence.

Reducing to 1 day ban.  I'm closing this topic.