GC Weekly Youtube Show.

LiMiT

First a little backstory.

For those who don't know I work for a photographer and we started producing videos for some of our corporate clients.  We've upgraded our computers, got the software and dove into the world of video production.  So far we've been able to keep up with our work, but with the demands of the studio and photography I have had very little time to actually learn Final Cut, Premier or After Effects.  There just isn't enough time during the day for me to complete my work THEN move into learning video.  We've taken on an intern which later became an regular employee, but we had to let him go recently because some of our regular work was cancelled.

Anyways, so since things are tight right now with the studio it's falling to me to pick up the slack.  Which, I don't mind because I've really wanted to pick this up since we've started, but I don't want to just watch tutorials and learn the software not to be able to produce anything.  So, I had an idea to produce a weekly Youtube Gamers Coalition show.   This show would help drive people to GC and help keep those who are already in GC up-to-date on whats going on.  Each episode will be posted in the forums and of course will have a Youtube channel that will archive them. 

The episodes will be short to begin with.  Until more members are contributing it will basically be just me commentating on the news that I can talk about.  I'm hoping that members will help keep me up-to-date on whats going on so that I can turn around and comment on it in the show.  For example. Turnbull does a lot of mapping and that would be a segment in the show.  I can show-off his current work and showcase it along with the link to the workshop page so that ppl can subcribe and comment.  The show could be a good place to talk about Frag-fest, the changes on the servers, new servers, new games, whatever we want to showcase.   I hoping this will build membership, viewership and the community itself.   

I just about have everything I need to get started.  I do need to get a new headset, a broadcasting quality mic, mic boom and I need to re-up my subscription to Adobe.  I built my recent computer with video editing in mind so thats ready to go.  The good news is that I picked up some freelance work that I'm hoping to complete today or tomorrow and with those funds I'll be able to get these last few things and really dive into it.  

It may seem like a large project for just one person to produce, but with the experience I've gained from my work and my personal determination to expand into this industry I think I can pull it off.   Again, the more members can contribute the better the show will be.  The show will be short for awhile until we can get a feel for the direction we want to take this in.

I want to hear your feedback.  I really want to produce something of quality that the community can be proud of and encourage members to participate in. 

Thanks!

S.

Thoughts. 

• If you're getting something of value out of it, I'd say go for it. 
  • Weekly might be ambitious. 
  • A member tried to do a community newsletter (monthly?). It died out after a couple because of lack of content.
  • The company I'm working for does a video newscast every 2 weeks.
  • Their format is always the same: housekeeping / important company updates, employee spotlight, then a sixty second update. In total it's about 5 minutes long.
  • It'd be great to get other people involved (Mumble, Hangout, Skype, etc.) for content. New members? New admins? Awesome OG board members?

Yes, weekly is ambitious.  I'm hoping there is enough content each week to talk about.  If not, then a bi-weekly may be a better fit to begin with.

The videos we produce are very, "cookie-cutter" type videos.  We've been able to setup the intro, outro, and other timeline aspects in an open project and we insert the finished content into the appropriate space.  I'm looking to do the same setup with this.  It streamlines the process and allows me to work faster. 

I've been tossing around ideas for segments such as member interview via Skype, maybe an 'admin of the month', or even showcase member hobbies and activites outside of GC. 

I've even considered doing Twitch streaming on the pub, highlight reels, maybe a "Top 10" style funny moments.  If we have members who can record their gaming and submit the moment they liked the best.  

I may even start to record games now and build up the library. 

S.

S.

I've created a Dropbox with a GC folder that I will share with anyone who wants to send me video, images, anything that can be used in the show.   Just let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the share link.

S.

Alrighty.  I'm moving forward.  I'm going to start putting together the outline for episode 1 now.  I'm going to be using the equipment at the studio and will be editing there.  I may need to do this for the first couple of episodes until I have everything at home set up. 

I would like to get a clean version of the GC logo that currently is at the top of the forum and on the title screen when you go to www.gamrs.co.  A .eps file would be perferable. 

Also, I'm going to start recording in the pub and matches in the 5v5 server.  I'll try to mention exactly when I'm recording in the server so everyone knows.    I'm planning for this first episode a more of an overall introduction.   I would like a few minutes of footage from all of the games if possible, but if not thats ok.   I'm going to put a tentative date of having this first episode up in 10 days.  Lets see how this will go.

S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update!

It seems that the hardest part of actually doing this is having time to work on it at my job.   It has proven very difficult to actually allocate time to work on this at the studio.   Since I have yet to be able to get the software I need at home at the moment I've been trying to schedule time and it's not working out as I had planned.   I'm trying to find a solution that I can work on these things at home so hang in there.

I actually have the video together.  I'm not using all of the footage that I have since in-game recording has come to a hault.  On the bright side I'll have a good amount of footage for the next video if this pilot meets everyones approval.  I have just to record the voice-over and do one last segment and it's good to go.

I will not be able to work on anything this weekend as home duties will take up most of my time, but I should be back on it on Monday. 

Also, for anyone who has contributed thank you very much!   Plesae keep it up.  I may have jumped the gun on this but with others helping out this may turn into something very worthwhile.

S.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long silence in regards to this.  I'm going to have to put this on hold for a little while.  I'm still determined to do this, but I may have jumped the gun a little.   I'll post more soon.

S.