Gamers Coalition RPG

JackieChan

The mansion was mainly designed to have the party be around the 6-7 level mark.

Did either of you guys find the Quiz Rat though?

also some notes and thoughs i wrote down while playing:

-is the mansion section exact copy of RE?

It started out as it, but turned into a loosely based version of it.

calling everyone a noob has worked wonders so far.

Did either of you guys find the Quiz Rat though?

i did, going out of the house the rat sort of blinked out of the green for a moment. thats how i noticed it.

also, do you plan to keep working on the game?

yup, by pure chance. i weirdly update equipent in the first few towns in any rpg games.

you should said in the first post that shift makes the game/character run faster

finished the game so have more notes:

the game has a day/night cicle?

nvm, entering the dog fight area from the right makes that section of the map daytime.

also, in the same area the patch of green herbs says it will refill you hp, but it also refills mp. i avoided using them for some time.

the change to the save system is apreciated, the variety makes the game more fun.

so crashx went wesker/mengele?

this dialogues... hahaha
the mansion section of the game definetly needs a map or some hand-holding as to where go next.

johny double dagger normal attack is way more powerfull than the dagger trow, is it because i gave him the fire thing the rat gave me?

about that 4 boulders puzzle, is the grey rock suposed to older than the brown one?

interacting whit the statue in the crypt after beating the crimsom head pt1 repeats the scene.

left crash behind, this is getting better!

tried killing all the zombies that came out of the wall, took down about 7 of them before realizing they would not stop coming in.
goddanm safetty mechanism! goddanm this backtracking, i keep getting lost/going in circles.
danm, did not expect that twist. so san is the bad guy? s**t, this plot is way better than i expected

might want to make a save point/herb patch instead of putting so many medkits in that last hallway. at least untill the next expansion to the game.

>carlos kills san & jhony

1/10 not realistic

kidding aside... f***,  didnt expect that ending D:

finished the game in 6 hours(not counting 2 game overs) and at level 10/10/10

a few things i didnt do;

check all the rooms in the ice cave.

when going out of the spawn town, i went straight south to the cave, but i remenber there being a road to the right, what was there?

i regreat never using the alcohol.

after i got the ermengecy axe (plox, turn it into a weapon after its used) i went to the boarded up room, but i couldnt interact whit the door. :/

i tried backtracking from my last save point, but after going up the elevator, the door to the lobby of the mansion just reloads the previous room.

overall the game was fun, the most boring part (aside from going around the town doing stuff) was the first cave, it kinda feels lackluster compared to the rest of the dungeons. duno how it could be improved tho.

Edited by anzul

Thanks for all the notes. I'll make my responses in bold/red.

yup, by pure chance. i weirdly update equipent in the first few towns in any rpg games.
After you clear the bridge and go back to Hammerport, the shops have new items to get. Don't forget to use that wagon for fast travel across the bridge.

you should said in the first post that shift makes the game/character run faster
Next update I'm going to include a picture at the beginning going over the controls and whatnot, albeit there aren't very much.

finished the game so have more notes:

the game has a day/night cicle?
nvm, entering the dog fight area from the right makes that section of the map daytime.
Yeah, I'll try and make sure that's fixed too. Clony said the same thing, but I never went through that door or really had a reason to, lol. Fixed for the next demo.

also, in the same area the patch of green herbs says it will refill you hp, but it also refills mp. i avoided using them for some time.
That's intentional. I felt that given the limited number of items in the mansion, a patch of herbs full healing the party was necessary. It only has 3 uses though.

the change to the save system is apreciated, the variety makes the game more fun.
I had to do the typewriter/ink ribbon mechanic. It would have been an insult to the RE series if I didn't.

so crashx went wesker/mengele?
I wanted to keep the player guessing on what crasx's intentions really were. Shame what happens though...

this dialogues... hahaha
I'm known by some people to have very bad pun jokes...

the mansion section of the game definetly needs a map or some hand-holding as to where go next.
Nah. You got through it just fine :P

johny double dagger normal attack is way more powerfull than the dagger trow, is it because i gave him the fire thing the rat gave me?
Possibly. Not sure if that item effects skills vs normal attacks or not.

about that 4 boulders puzzle, is the grey rock suposed to older than the brown one?
My thoughts were to make the darker colors under the lighter ones. I figured brown was more "defined" color-wise than the grey one and just went that route.

interacting whit the statue in the crypt after beating the crimsom head pt1 repeats the scene.
I knew I forgot something down there... Fixed it for the next demo.

tried killing all the zombies that came out of the wall, took down about 7 of them before realizing they would not stop coming in.
Lol, there are 189 zombies behind that wall. You're not meant to go back that way anyway.
goddanm safetty mechanism! goddanm this backtracking, i keep getting lost/going in circles.
I am a bit of a sadistic a**hole. I originally wasn't sure if I wanted to put a typewriter before the long ladder too.
danm, did not expect that twist. so san is the bad guy? s**t, this plot is way better than i expected
Pretty messed up stuff... using GC members as guinea pigs?

might want to make a save point/herb patch instead of putting so many medkits in that last hallway. at least untill the next expansion to the game.
But there is a typewriter just in the room prior. I might think about it. I wanted players to use valuable time opening those First Aid Boxes and whatnot too.

>carlos kills san & jhony
1/10 not realistic
Carlos was injected with hax
kidding aside... f***, didnt expect that ending D:
Not to give too much away, but some characters will die in this game.

finished the game in 6 hours(not counting 2 game overs) and at level 10/10/10
Man, you were way over-leveled for that part of the game. I did want to make the mansion a place TO level up your characters a few times though.

a few things i didnt do;
check all the rooms in the ice cave.
when going out of the spawn town, i went straight south to the cave, but i remenber there being a road to the right, what was there?
Your party member just scolds you for going some place you're not supposed to go

i regreat never using the alcohol.
Don't worry, I never used it either, and I put it in the game

after i got the ermengecy axe (plox, turn it into a weapon after its used) i went to the boarded up room, but i couldnt interact whit the door. :/
Yeah, Clony had the same problem. Found out that you had to be ON TOP of the boards to use it instead of in front of it. Stupid bugs... It'll be fixed in the next demo.

i tried backtracking from my last save point, but after going up the elevator, the door to the lobby of the mansion just reloads the previous room.
Fixed in the next demo.

overall the game was fun, the most boring part (aside from going around the town doing stuff) was the first cave, it kinda feels lackluster compared to the rest of the dungeons. duno how it could be improved tho.
It's more or less there to give you a feel for the game and a few fights. Not all caves are supposed to be fun by the way.

What did you think of the demo #2 boss though? Too easy or too hard?

Thank you and Clony for both finishing the demo and giving input. For that, I'll try to find a place for the two of you in game that's more than just a cameo appearance.

ah, i get it now.\

i did went back there and try to see if could do anything whit that, but from behind... my fault for being an smart donkey, i guess haha

I'll add something there to reference that...

• Like 1

i interacted whit the wagon at some point but it didnt say anything about going back to the town, i just though it would be usefull later.

Your party member just scolds you for going some place you're not supposed to go

thankfully i didnt went there, i hate when an rpg tells me "you canot go to that interesting looking place!" its worse than pointless invisible walls in fps's!

. Found out that you had to be ON TOP of the boards to use it

oooh, yeah that souds like a likely to happen bug, i noticed i could walk on some props.

what i meant to say about the patch of herbs is that i didnt use it because i though it would only refill hp, had i known that it refilled mp as well i would had used it sooner.

i liked the puns, but ironicaly the funnier pun for me was the one about the dried and dead leaves haha

the final boss fights were easy for me as i had gotten to level 10 by then and i just kept spaming ice arrow to keep him frozen

(might want to make him more resitant to that, or add 2 crimsons alongside him for extra stress, or both haha)
the one time he managed to hit me he took a decent amount of hp off of us, that and the danm timer had me inmersed, so yeah it was easy, but definetly fun!

I'll try to find a place for the two of you in game that's more than just a cameo

neat!, my dialogue will likely be full of typos tho, hahaha

. I wanted players to use valuable time opening those First Aid Boxes and whatnot too.

now that you say it, when the boss shot trough the roof i was short on mp and thinking it  would be game over again, did curse myself for not noticing that it wouldnt be that easy to get out.

some characters will die in this game.

thats great actualy, considering the theme of game, it is a nice trope subversion.

Man, you were way over-leveled for that part of the game. I did want to make the mansion a place TO level up your characters a few times though.

in the ice cave, i kept returning to the torches whit the whistle when i figured out the skating puzles, fighting the ice spirit and 2 spiders while  frozen was brutal, peanut died several times. and in the maze section, i got lost on my way to the first torch. that might be why i leveled up so much. and i take it you can't make the enemies "level up" along side the player?

one last thing, i carried the elder's letter the whole game, wasnt johny suposed to read that or something?

i interacted whit the wagon at some point but it didnt say anything about going back to the town, i just though it would be usefull later.

Just leave the map and go back. He'll be sitting on the bridge.

the final boss fights were easy for me as i had gotten to level 10 by then and i just kept spaming ice arrow to keep him frozen

(might want to make him more resitant to that, or add 2 crimsons alongside him for extra stress, or both haha)

the one time he managed to hit me he took a decent amount of hp off of us, that and the danm timer had me inmersed, so yeah it was easy, but definetly fun!

Thinking of having it so if you're a certain level in the earlier dungeons the enemies will either stop appearing, or the the encounter rate will be lower. 

one last thing, i carried the elder's letter the whole game, wasnt johny suposed to read that or something?

I suppose I could have just removed the item, but I forgot to.

I found a few of these same bugs that anzul did but I wasn't sure how to point them out without accidentally ruining the game for readers. I didn't know there was a "spoiler" option to put in the forums D:
I will use that from now on! But.... after looking at the reply options.... how do I do that?

Now that you say that about those doors that returned you to the same room, I almost forgot about those, but it wasn't just that one area that a door teleported you back to the same room, I specifically remember two instances of that happening. I wanna say it was the door you enter to the breakaway wall and all the zombies as well as the door above the elevator that goes down 8 floors. 

That key thing, I would have just done a huge conditional branch over the whole thing to where if player facing down, do the scene, else something like "You cant reach it from this side." But your dialogue thing works just as well too! xD

Also, what made you think 189 zombies was a good number to stop at, why the hell not 188 it makes more logical sense, its an even number.

By the way anzul, I have a current map made of his dungeon, although this konoyarou made me draw it > :o
I just need to go through the entire dungeon one more time, and I will make a walk through video for it, since it is a bit tedious. =D

Edited by MurderinClony

Also, what made you think 189 zombies was a good number to stop at, why the hell not 188 it makes more logical sense, its an even number.

Because this is what the room looks like:

zombieroom.png

It should actually not dip down like that and be flat on the bottom with it being drawn up instead.

how do I do that?

[ spoiler ] delete the spaces [ /spoiler ]

[ spoiler ]

you can also do this.

[ /spoiler ]

and plz have that map ready for the next demo, i got so lost... i could swear the spikes room was in the right side of the mansion xD

this is what the room looks like:

im tempted to grind again in the next demo just to kill them all for the hell of it.

how do I do that?

[ spoiler ] delete the spaces [ /spoiler ]

[ spoiler ]

you can also do this.

[ /spoiler ]

and plz have that map ready for the next demo, i got so lost... i could swear the spikes room was in the right side of the mansion xD

this is what the room looks like:

im tempted to grind again in the next demo just to kill them all for the hell of it.

I'm going to make it so they give 0 exp though.

So by the time I got to the mansion dungeon, I was only level 4 and managed to beat it while avoiding about 50% of the enemies in the mansion at around level 7/6/6 or 6/6/6.  I made it so if all party members are level 5 or higher, you will encounter enemies at half the rate in the Ice Cave dungeon to hopefully prevent you from getting way over leveled...or I could probably just make it so you stop encountering enemies, but that would defeat the purpose of the whole dungeon mechanic.

I'm also thinking about getting rid of random battles and making every enemy encounter something you "bump" into.

So far I fixed a lot of the bugs you two have encountered and posted about and moved the quiz rat some place where you can just BARELY see him poking out.

or I could probably just make it so you stop encountering enemies

what about halving the exp when cold, and then halving it again when freezing?

"you feel too cold to learn anything usefull from the previous batle"

I'm also thinking about getting rid of random battles and making every enemy encounter something you "bump" into.

this works as well.

I never really noticed but what did the cold do to you in battle, I usually kept running thinking I wouldn't be unable to fight at all. So what does it do?

I made it so if all party members are level 5 or higher, you will encounter enemies at half the rate in the Ice Cave dungeon to hopefully prevent you from getting way over leveled...or I could probably just make it so you stop encountering enemies, but that would defeat the purpose of the whole dungeon mechanic.

Well.... The whole way I play RPGs is I farm in an area until I feel like I get high enough, so usually any area I come to I am overpowered, I love that playstyle xD

• Like 1

Here are the maps for the dungeon, for the mansion at least, after you get the staff key I didnt need a map anymore and quite drawing the rest of the dungeon.

I have a few doors labeled with with keys they need but again I started making this map halfway through the mansion so I didnt remember which doors needed which keys.

The stairs are marked with numbers #1-5 corresponding to the same number on the next page to know where you come out for each floor.

And the numbers on top was me trying to figure out Jackies puzzle for the longest time, and then smacking myself in the face when I finally saw it.

post-5094-0-68622100-1452654139_thumb.png

post-5094-0-97733300-1452654115_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice! I've got RPG maker MV myself, got it a ways back.

Has the game changed any? Or have you just ported it over? I know its not as simple as just ported over, theres a lot of trouble swapping from the VXAce to MV, especially the graphics and the smaller looking characters, so, well done.

There was actually a few tools I used to make it a lot more tolerable.  All the characters use different sprites.

RPG Maker VX Ace to MV graphic converter was used to port tile sets and some VX Ace assets over which make them look a lot better than just simply enlarging them in photoshop.  Had to convert all the music into .ogg format, but other than that, it was just simply importing the graphics and vx ace sound effects over and everything else was retained. 

The "big" change is that the ice cave doesn't use random encounters anymore.  Most if not all the reported bugs from the VX Ace version are fixed.