Computer down

MPG1770

Tonight computer crashed.  It took over one hour to boot-up.  When it did finally get there, an error message appeared : Windows application failed and computer freezes.

I have no clue what's caused this. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks

There was a whirring noise, no beeping, IDK what mobo is, there is a green light showing at back of computer; error message just reads:  Microsoft Windows failed to load, then machine crashes.  Eventually it did boot-up after 2hours, but takes a further 30mins or so to load up applications.

2 yrs old, never a problem until recently - Win 8.1 has got to be the culprit.

Anyhow, as this is my mainframe computer for music & video production, it is insured against things like this happening.  Hence I'm a bit wary of doing anything to it as it may invalidate the insurance.  He's gone in for repair and a bit of an update.  Will take about a week before I get it back.

(edited)

It's re-installing so much software that is the time killer - took me almost 10 days to sort out last time when my poor old XP's CPU blew up.  I always do regular backups on an external Hard Drive, hundreds of CD/DVDs  and 2 Laptops - dread the thought of losing over 800 GBs of compositions, nearly 1 TB video production disappearing into the blackhole of cyberspace.

Thanks

Edited by MPG1770

It's re-installing so much software that is the time killer - took me almost 10 days to sort out last time when my poor old XP's CPU blew up.  I always do regular backups on an external Hard Drive, hundreds of CD/DVDs  and 2 Laptops - dread the thought of losing over 800 GBs of compositions, nearly 1 TB video production disappearing into the blackhole of cyberspace.

Thanks

If that stuff is that important, I would not trust a single usb backup to it. Pick up a NAS unit that has at least 4 drives in it for RAID 5 or some hybrid RAID that Drobo or Synology or some other company uses.

Or spend the money on something like idrive.com and back it up off site. 

(edited)

I'll look into idrive.

Until I get my PC back, I really can't play L4D2 - I've tried virtually every combination of settings with video and mouse, but it's much they same on all, can't get a real feel of control.

Here's an outline of the specs on this laptop : any suggestions for improved gameplay would be most grateful.

DxDiag Video.txt

Edited by MPG1770

(edited)

Got computer back - going to be busy for quite sometime re-installing software - took almost 10 days to get everything back on 1st time round - hope this time it will be a bit quicker.

6 hours taken to install 3 music programs :  got a long way to go : and I haven't started install drivers for printers etc.

Edited by MPG1770

(edited)

I always do a back-up before everything is loaded, then after the loading is is complete - think I will have to buy another external hard drive soon

The other question remains - to update or not with the windows crap - computer is working fine - i don't want to go through 141 windows updates - are they really necessary?

Edited by MPG1770

I always do a back-up before everything is loaded, then after the loading is is complete - think I will have to buy another external hard drive soon

The other question remains - to update or not with the windows crap - computer is working fine - i don't want to go through 141 windows updates - are they really necessary?

Not necessary if you do not care about a drive-by malware infection that results in you having to do all of this again... again. Sounds like you need a new computer if it is taking you 6 hours to download 3 programs.  Are you on dial-up?  If so, take it to work or some  place with public wifi or a friends house and borrow his bandwidth.  Then use the built-in backup of Windows 7/8 and do a full backup to an external drive and then back that up to a NAS.

The dxdiag applies to one of my laptops, not tthe PC.

The 3 music programs have a combined total of 8 CDs; then re-registering to re-activate programs - businesses don't make it easy; re-installing and downloading other programs simultaneously from internet probably slowed the process down a little, but I don't mind, I'll get there in the end, maybe.

May I recommend a Carbonite account, good Sir.

or iDrive which I like because you can set your password for encryption. There's also "Crashplan" which has integration into a ton of different NAS devices. Yes, I am again about the NAS devices. Great central place in your house to store local backups and then from there backup what is most important to the cloud.

Edit:  The cool thing about Crashplan is that it's free if you don't want to backup to the cloud. If you have a machine at your mom's or something like that, you can have your stuff backup to it and you can make that your offsite backup.  They also have an unlimited cloud plan which may be worth it.

Edited by ZeroDamage