Upgrade time...... Link me to my next PC!

turnbullTeRRoR

(edited)

Been looking at video cards recently an r9 280 looks to be the best bang for the buck at around $169.99

Whats your current cpu?

I bought my pc in 2012.  After my last pc a custom job from 2001 that lasted till 2008.   I had a 3 and 4 year old a no money so I ended up with a 500 dollar hp that  I could play CS:S  on and do work from the house on weeknights and weekends.  I eventually added a gtx 560 and a 600 watt psu after csgo came out but I never updated anything else.

The processor is weak and the HD is faulty.  Can't recall atm the exact specs but anyways.  The gtx560 never reaches full potential with the weak processor and the computing power is weak compaired to today standards.   Its a quad core but the ghz are relatively low.  Like maybe 2.9 

(edited)

I built my system 4 years ago. Is it me or has tech kind of dogged it out since then? It doesn't seem like much has changed and what has is barely worth mentioning. I upgraded from my C2QE CPU and an AMD 6870 and it's still almost untouchable by todays games and most non-business software. My newer 3570k with AMD 7870 (still running 24gb of ram from my old PC)  seems to be doing as good or better than most machines for sale today and the only reason I see to upgrade would be to add a few points onto some pointless benchmarking test.

Have I missed something? Tech used to advance as fast as you could buy it. Have we seen an end to that?

Edited by Preacher

No you haven't missed something preacher because I noticed the same thing a few weeks ago.  I had my tower in storage for the last two years and have been just using my lap top until GTA V came out. Then I decided to dig out my tower and install GTA V on it because I needed the horse power, my laptop wouldn't run it at all.  The tower specs are a I5 2500k (sandy bridge), 6950 vid card, and 8 gigs of ram.  I can run GTA V @1080p, I don't have all of the settings maxed but it looks fine to me and runs just as well. It also pushes it out to a BenQ XL2420G monitor with out any problems. 

yea, will notice a significant difference with any new upgrade. 

$790     Includes a 240 Gig SSD drive and a 2TB data drive.      No OS or monitor.  What display are you using? 

yea, will notice a significant difference with any new upgrade. 

$790     Includes a 240 Gig SSD drive and a 2TB data drive.      No OS or monitor.  What display are you using? 

I have a 24'' 144hz  Asus......like a boss and a older piece of crap monitor for #2

I'd recommend you wait another month or so and see what AMD comes out with with regards to the R 3xx line versus the current 280/290 line. It will drive the prices down for the 2xx line and I am hopeful they will reclaim the performance crown and force Nividia to be competitive with their card prices.