Anti-Rushing

JackieChan

So, one of my rare "sparks" went off in my head and decided to try my hand at making some kind of anti-rushing plugin for the L4D2 servers.  As of now, it's on the servers already.

This is what it does:

In the game, there is what is called "nav flow".  It's a player's linear progress through the map.  What this plugin does is that it takes the total of everyone's "flow" and averages it out.  It then takes whoever is in front of their team's flow sees if it's greater than the team's average flow + a certain amount. 

To make things a little easier for us 'Muricans (sorry Europeans), I converted the numbers into feet since the flow bases itself on "units".  Every 16 units is a foot (0.3048 meters).

So let's say the average team's map distance flow is about 345 feet from the starting saferoom and there is someone way out in front.  If their map distance flow is 125 feet or greater than their team's average, they will get that HINT message in the middle of their screen saying "WARNING!  You're too far ahead of your team!".  Admins will be alerted in regular chat who is out in front.  I'm leaving it to admins to do the judgement calls at this point, but this will make it MUCH easier for them to see who is rushing in the servers.

What if there are multiple people rushing?  It'll skew the average numbers a bit, sure, but it will still be a good identifier to see who is rushing and who isn't.  Also, if there are multiple people rushing, the person out in front will only get the warning, unfortunately.  I'll have to mess around with it some more to try and include multiple people.

The plugin will also ignore incapped bots too from map distance flow of the Survivor team.  If there are 3 or less Survivors alive, the messages won't appear either.

• Like 4

I have gotten warned while 3 feet ahead of the next player, so sensitivity may be a bit off.  Also a lot of chat messages and the warning announcement is a little distracting, especially in the fake announcements era of the game.

I think your math might be better served by referencing the person farthest back and then looking at some fixed distance ahead of them before generating a rushing message, the average thing gets thrown off if there are 1 or 2 frontrunners with a peleton behind them.

GC Alumni

How many survivors were alive?

If you could take a guess, how far apart was the bot from everyone else when it got charged back?

When you said you were a few feet up from everyone else, was it the bot that got charged backwards, the rest of your team, then you a few feet up?

I took it off the server for now. Thanks for the feedback.

also, how will this effect the justified rushing?

probably just gonna block your visibility, it isnt an autoban or can be disable when there are 5 or less players up/alive.

i played in other servers that if the guys are too far ahead they will be teleport back to the main group automatically, not necessary gonna work out depending on servers

Is that plugin really necessary? I think the infected side will tell the survivors who is rushing immediately.

I have a question. Can you save the points for those who just left the server for 1 minute? so if their game crashed, they can rejoin with their points back.

Sometimes when I spawn or do ghost jump, my game crashes, and I lose all my points.     :(

Edited by QQ1034914840
  • Like 2

GC Alumni

I think I may have cracked it showing inaccurate numbers and whatnot.

I made a menu panel to show everyone's map flow and whatnot.

2015-05-04_00001.jpg

Averages look correct and whatnot.  Some people have a negative number which means that they're "behind" the team's average flow of the map.  Bots are ignored, dead players are ignored, so things are looking better for this.  It also shows me if there are more than one player that is too far ahead of the team.  For now, only I can see this information.  If any admin wants to see this too, let me know.

Is that plugin really necessary? I think the infected side will tell the survivors who is rushing immediately.

I'm making it mainly for the benefit of admins.  Infected don't always inform admins who is rushing and then admins get yelled at by players because they didn't ban the rusher before they died.

What happens when one guy gets charged really far back like out a window but survives. This guy is now throwing off the numbers substantially. Will the entire team be marked for rushing or what? 

Also sometimes a team may be getting completely destroyed and they know there is no hope for them so they let one or two mains rush. Will these people be kicked by it or not?