Server Popularity

EliteGandalf

Personally I would like to see Server 2 to be modded once again since you have to deal with hackers on pretty much every single other game there is. I wouldn't mind having to run into a hacker now and then if it means I get my mods back. I miss my HD mods with a shrek tank coming after me.

I don't see how having different models really keeps the game alive for people, it's not like the game is a horror style game where creepy models and textures really offer to the play/atmosphere... We all know what attack is essentially coming at any moment and who has time to stare at pretty textures when things are jumping at your face or if you are trying to save a teammate??

I don't think that giving people the ability to have graphical mods is worth people getting an unfair advantage over others. Cool, the tank is now Donkey Kong but that hunter flying through the air is now leaving a gold trail making easier to be shot out of the air.

I get that you want to put this on server #2 but there are people who are going to join server #2 not knowing that one of the two servers allow mods and may not have a good time getting stomped. It's not fair someone who is new to get destroyed because others have a beneficial mod to help them kill others. Unfortunately we can not only allow certain types of mods, its all or none, so it should remain as none.

I have been around long enough to see even the first server have it's slow times before we got a second server, things go in waves with L4D it would appear. Server #2 will pick up again when people have more free time or when more people buy the game or when some people get less burned out, if the second server never picks up again then maybe it will go away allowing financial resources to be put towards another server that GC members can enjoy.

• Like 1

I would trade a couple people using hunter mods and other "cheats"  to have addons back. People will always have an advantage in games, whether it be fps, ping, refresh rate, or just natural ability. As long as they aren't using a wallhack or aimbot I don't see the big deal.

Also, one of my friends said that he plays on a server that has a whitelist. I know you guys said that it's not possible but maybe there is a way that none of us know about. That would be pretty cool if it worked out, you could just block the addons that give you a slight advantage. 

or maybe, people are just getting bored of the game itself. same tactics, same routes, same guns, same scenery, same chokepoints....

Maybe that's why people miss addons so much. The game is so bland with no addons. Even something simple like character skins and cooler looking weapons can make it more enjoyable.

• Like 2

Also, one of my friends said that he plays on a server that has a whitelist. I know you guys said that it's not possible but maybe there is a way that none of us know about. That would be pretty cool if it worked out, you could just block the addons that give you a slight advantage.

Who is this friend? ________ name please... And what is the name of the server? _________

I look forward to hearing from you thugfear!

I just tried the server, it seems like all the addons I tried worked, he said that some UI and vocalize addons didn't work though. Oh well. Maybe it's just a problem with his game and they didn't block certain addons.

or maybe, people are just getting bored of the game itself. same tactics, same routes, same guns, same scenery, same chokepoints....

Maybe that's why people miss addons so much. The game is so bland with no addons. Even something simple like character skins and cooler looking weapons can make it more enjoyable.

He gets it. Listen to Thug.

Sometimes i wanted to kill zombies.. Others xenomorphs, orcs, and etc.. All the while changing weapons to fit the fight.... Was like playing another game in the format of l4d2 <--- that being the maps.. And the gc point system that i have come to love!

How did she get it to work? Just lucky for one time or can mac users play with certain addons? I don't understand lol 

work for every time, so do u wanna get a mac ? lol

The trouble with our server is simply a matter of getting the wrong kind of attention.  Three years ago, GC's 10 vs 10 was the best kept secret on the L4D2 server list.  Now that all of the official servers are gone, there are no other servers for trolls and griefers to hold hostage.  We get everyone from the seasoned pros to the lowly Steam Sale newbies.  It's hard to build a specific type of community when we get flooded with a bit of everything, whereas up to this point, we were approached by a particular kind of player who was a bit more in tune with the eccentric nature of our established player base. 

All of these changes just take patience and I know many of our seasoned pros, like myself, feel like they've seen all there is to see.  Then again, I did play a game with Lookback tonight for the first time in ages.  Not only was it like the 'good old days' , victory hinged on the skill of the survivor's cooperation, rather than the infected's offensive capabilities, which is a departure from what I usually see. 

Our 10 vs 10 server isn't dry yet.  There's plenty of spectacle yet to be had, especially for our new guys.  I'll be around from time to time to see how the new blood stacks up.  Those meatsacks aren't going to puke on themselves, after all.

• Like 1

Vlad.. I understand what you are saying,and agree. I, myself started playing shortly after the secret was out. Unfortunately for me... I didn't buy the game on a steam sale. So there wasn't any noobs to blend in with, and was completely abused. Lol. I remember being kicked for reasons such as, "detriment to team's success" and "to make room for more contributing members". I was kicked to make room for non-members.. That was back when there was only one server though and everything infected/survivor wise was coordinated. The game had diminished in people's eyes that played back then to now everyone Yolo'n for points. Even the lesser players yolo..

I think when custom nights started it revitalized the server, anger with the announcement of pic a gc tourney it peaked server popularity with everyone. Ultimately when everyone started to realize it wasn't going to happen they stopped playing what made it worse was the loss of addons.. Say what you want, but at the end of the day everyone enjoys customization. Even pro-modders have add-ons for when they pub.

Reading your post vlad gave me an idea... If we can't have a tourney how about a clash! Between the Titans of old and the new and up and coming players!? We all know admins don't stand a chance. So how about the best older players against the best newer players. Let's do it!

P.s. this is being posted from my phone... So it took me a while to type. I have no interest in reviewing this to check for typos, auto-correct, and such -.-

• Like 1

Hahaha I was one of the random noobs during the christmas of '13. Got the game for free on sale :o

Also what Gandalf said seems like fun although I know I'm not one of the 'newer' pro players :P.